>

Went to GC to check out Les Paul Standards

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Marshall Stack, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Marshall Stack

Marshall Stack Well-Known Member

Last night I checked out the 50s and 60s Gibson Les Paul Standards. I heard that the 50s had a baseball bat neck but it wasn't that bad. That guitar sounded sweeter than the 60s. I'm starting to get arthritis in my fretting hand and wonder if the thicker neck neck would be better or worse.

The guitars were new according to the sales guy but the necks were dry. The best on price they could do is take off 10% with a trade in about that worked (and I think a pedal would do).

Is that the most you can get off a new Gibson? I also live near Eddie's Guitars which a couple of people here recommended but they aren't letting people in the store to check them out because of Covid.

2. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

3. Sapient

Sapient   Platinum Supporting Member

I've got a good amount of Lesters and I never buy new. Zero in on the case queens. You can get a "new" guitar for 2/3 the price. There are a lot of Lesters out there that sit in cases. Old rich Docs that think they are gonna learn how to play overnight, or they buy one for their son, but he ain't havin' it.

"New" prices are borderline comical.

I've never bought one with any sign of fret wear if that kinds tell you the case queen I'm talking about in particular.

4. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

Now that you know you like the 50's better, scour the GC website for used.
    They come and go, so just be ready to jump when you see a nice one you want at a decent price.
    You can return the web orders to your local CG if you don't like it.
    I bought my Firebird, SG 50th and Ultra Strat that way.

5. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ ✴- - - - - TEH - - - - -✴ ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Whenever I bought guitars over $2K at GC (and I've had at least 10, electrics, acoustics a hollowbody, etc), I would always get 15% off from the manager, no questions asked.

As for fatter necks and arthritis: first off, the 50's & 60's neck profiles on the modern LP Standards are not like they are on the Custom Shop Historic 'R8, 'R9 or 'R0; they are much tamer and more of a "nod" to the past. Ultimately, I prefer the much fatter neck profile of my 1958 Historic to all others because for the most part, much of how I need to form my grip is automatically done by the shape of the neck (which is something like a fat 'D' shape). In contrast, when I go back to my slimmest neck, a LP Traditional, the neck shape is much thinner, which requires me to work harder to keep my hand in position. So to me, it feels almost as if the fatter neck profile is "pushing" the fretboard up closer to my fingers, creating less work. Thinner necks just cramp my plam.

Dry guitars: if by "dry" that means the fret ends are sharp at the store, I (myself) wouldn't buy it. You'll have to go through the trouble of humidifying it, setting it up multiple times during the course of hydrating, and in the end if that doesn't adequately resolve the issue the frets will have to be filed. This could take weeks with a solidbody guitar like a Les Paul. On a Gibson, that ain't pretty and it isn't good news. On the other hand, if "dry" means it needs a good setup and the fretboard needs oiled, then as long as everything else checks out I might consider it.

I hope that helps.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  6. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Interesting to read your experience, because mine is exactly the opposite. A thick neck like that forces me to stretch out my hand more, which over time, will tire up my hands and lead to cramping. On the other hand, a thinner neck just seems to fit the natural contours of my hand better.

7. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ ✴- - - - - TEH - - - - -✴ ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Then I'd say you found your secret sauce. :yesway: Players really should only have to be concerned with neck profiles if they discover (on their own, ideally) that one shape works better than another for them, or the one they currently have is making them play worse. I don't really give it so much thought, I just play and see what I gravitate toward at a particular time. Every one of my guitars is completely different, and that's actually one thing I really like about them - they can suit a number of styles and moods (and you KNOW I'm one moody sob :D).

;)

groovenev and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  8. Marshall Stack

Thanks for the info. The fretboard was dry like it needed some linseed oil or something to bring it to life. I have rosewood necks and they only get like that if I'm not taking care of them. I don't know, maybe that is the way they are supposed to be..

The GC guy kept calling the 50s Traditional baseball bats but I thought they there were worse. Most of my guitars now have a thin profile neck but it didn't take that much to get used to that particular neck. I don't know if it was my imagination or not but it seemed like that the the thicker neck would neck dive a bit.

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  9. AlvisX

AlvisX Garage Guerrilla Gold Supporting Member

Big ass neck , great for the middle aged hand .....and TONE

10. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Marshall Stack likes this.
  11. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Well-Known Member VIP Member

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  12. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

10% is kinda of low if they really want a sale. You could try another GC store and deal with a manager. Cash is King.
    I would think 12%-15% is more like it. If you don't have a gear card sometimes they run specials with the application of a gear card. I'm with the others that have said look for used in great condition. There are deals out there you just have to be ready when they appear.

13. AlvisX

My suggestion ,buyin Les Pauls , and maybe that window is closed or closing ...but, I'd hold out,shop around for USED Custom Shop . I mean, I have no idea wher to look for that stuff anymore ,or even what they're going for at this point in time .
    I got 4 CS Les Pauls ,every one ,worth it . I probably saved a couple grand on each ,buying used

14. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Unless you get a steal of a deal, clean used gear is the way to go.

trax1139 likes this.
  15. Vinsanitizer

The 50's Traditional neck is a "baseball bat"? LOL! Compared to what, a Jackson or an Ibanez? Also, how old was he? Because I'd bet he's never played a guitar with a neck the size of a "baseball bat", which is another one of those cliche's that originated from one famous player, namely, Jeff Beck. I have one, and especially below the 7th fret it's not even as big as a typical Les Paul Studio. Someone tell me: what are the exact dimesnions and qualifications of a "baseball bat" neck? :rofl: Watch out for those GC sales guys. If you tell 'em you string up with 9's, they won't allow you into the acoustic guitar room - they'll be trying to sell you an Ibanez Jem all afternoon.

Guitar Center. I got stories, we all got stories. It's good campfire material. :D

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  16. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

The GIBBY in the campfire:lol::lol::lol:

17. AlvisX

Jeff Beck ....wouldn't that be a cricket bat ?:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

18. Marshall Stack

The guy was probably in his late 20s. I used the isolation room to test it and there was no one else in it. The guy came in and told me I have to keep my mask on (I pulled it down because it was fogging up my reading glasses). Not a big deal to me; I thought it was just funny .

I know a lot of people don't like GC but most of the people I have met there are decent. Local people so I try to support them. I have been using Sweetwater though lately since Covid.

19. Sapient

Sapient   Platinum Supporting Member

Do they mind if your hands are all over your credit card before you give it to them?

Ramo, RCM 800, Harlequin tusk and 4 others like this.
  20. Vinsanitizer

Actually, don't they already have their hands all over your credit card before you even pull it out?

Mitchell Pearrow and Sapient like this.