Went to GC to check out a Les Paul that turned out to be fake

PowerTube44

Reaction score
When I was there they had it in their office. I had emailed them before asking if there was a case with it. They replied that it was a fake. I doubt that they sold it.
I hope you're right. Several months ago, I returned a JCM 2000 DSL 100 to my local GC, and told them that the sound goes to about 1/3 power after playing for about 10-15 minutes. The "manager" assured me that it would be pulled out and sent for repairs. Within two hours, it was right back up there on the website, listed as "Great" condition, and gone the next day. I called and confirmed that they had sold it, and the guy I spoke with actually admitted that this was what they do. They kick the can down the road and let it be someone else's problem.

Now in your case, they might have actually had some lawsuit concerns and pulled it. But personally, I would keep an eye on their website to see if it magically shows up at another Guitar Center somewhere across the country. I just don't trust them.

El Gringo

Reaction score
I hope you're right. Several months ago, I returned a JCM 2000 DSL 100 to my local GC, and told them that the sound goes to about 1/3 power after playing for about 10-15 minutes. The "manager" assured me that it would be pulled out and sent for repairs. Within two hours, it was right back up there on the website, listed as "Great" condition, and gone the next day. I called and confirmed that they had sold it, and the guy I spoke with actually admitted that this was what they do. They kick the can down the road and let it be someone else's problem.

Now in your case, they might have actually had some lawsuit concerns and pulled it. But personally, I would keep an eye on their website to see if it magically shows up at another Guitar Center somewhere across the country. I just don't trust them.
Perfect example of why I would never purchase anything more than a pedal (new in the box) or strings or cables (new ) . I just don't trust them one bit because of such stories that I have heard about since they came into being .

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Perfect example of why I would never purchase anything more than a pedal (new in the box) or strings or cables (new ) . I just don't trust them one bit because of such stories that I have heard about since they came into being .

They have a long history with me of pulling stuff like this. Back in the 90's/early 2000's, Jackson had a series of cheapie DX series guitars. I went to GC and they had one mislabeled. It was supposed to be $349.00, not $399.00 like the slightly higher models. I pointed it out to one of the young sales droids and he was like, "Yeah, man. Sure. I'll get that corrected." I went in a week later and it was still the same.

Speaking of Jackson.... back when GC used to actually carry the decent Jackson gear, ALL Jackson USA guitars came from the factory with the hardshell case included in the price. Every last one. But guess what? GC was charging about $100.00 extra for the factory case.

Jackson - Round 3 - They once offered me $300.00 for a USA Soloist. You read that right.

El Gringo

Reaction score
They have a long history with me of pulling stuff like this. Back in the 90's/early 2000's, Jackson had a series of cheapie DX series guitars. I went to GC and they had one mislabeled. It was supposed to be $349.00, not $399.00 like the slightly higher models. I pointed it out to one of the young sales droids and he was like, "Yeah, man. Sure. I'll get that corrected." I went in a week later and it was still the same.

Speaking of Jackson.... back when GC used to actually carry the decent Jackson gear, ALL Jackson USA guitars came from the factory with the hardshell case included in the price. Every last one. But guess what? GC was charging about $100.00 extra for the factory case.

Jackson - Round 3 - They once offered me $300.00 for a USA Soloist. You read that right.
Such jerks as I was going to say I can't believe they pull that kind of crap . Hey when you have ignoramouses running the show and you hire young kids this is what you get and when they don't fix prices and they make a profit these young kids then get promoted and become managers and then go on seminars to really learn how to screw people over .