Went to GC to check out a Les Paul that turned out to be fake

Vinsanitizer

Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that I might have spotted a fake guitar center add on Facebook. Selling all Jackson at $68?
LOL! Sure it wasn't just a broken off headstock with no tuners?

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Hmm... I see that it's still for sale, and still listed as the genuine item. I'm sure it's an honest mistake, even though you TOLD THEM ABOUT IT.

What dirtbags.

Some years ago, I pointed out to a local pawn shop that their Ibanez JEM 777 hanging on the wall was a fake, and provided proof (all they had to do was Google the serial number). The girl on the phone was like, "Thanks. I'll let them know." Well, guess what? I walked in there about a week later and there it was, still listed at $1100.00+.

So how is GC any better than a pawn shop? Enquiring minds want to know...

PowerTube44

Reaction score
They know who the guy that brought it in but all they are going to do is not let him in the store again.

That's what they told you. I'll bet they were lying about that as well. It's like the asshole of a "manager" in the Knoxville store telling me that he was going to pull the Marshall head I'd just returned because I told them it had a problem. Well, guess what? It went right back on the website, still listed as "Great" condition, and sold the next day.

As I type this, the guy who sold them the Chibson is probably standing at their counter, telling jokes.

JohnH

Reaction score
000000117647127-00-720x720.jpg

One quick way you can spot a fake Les Paul is to look at the location of the neck volume control in relation to the stop tailpiece: from the front view, like in this photo, the top of the knob should line up evenly with the top of the tailpiece. In this case the knob is too far toward the headstock. The second you see that you know it's fake. The truss rod cover, logo, inlays, fretboard color, finish and plastic all look hideously cheap. Still, if it played good, sounded good and didn't look like it was going to fall apart, I might be inclined to hit it for under $300, but not a penny more.

I'll bet it weighs at least 11 lbs.

That's a very nice point about the neck vol position, and im adding that to my toolkit. Looking around the web at old and new LP's, I'm seeing the front of the knob either lining up with the front of the tail piece as you noted, or even a bit behind it.

Vinsanitizer

VIP Member
Reaction score
If they are all genuine, the lack of consistency is NOT a good thing.
If you're referring to the part, "...I'm seeing the front of the knob either lining up with the front of the tail piece as you noted, or even a bit behind it", then you should know that Gibson Les Pauls are consistent in this regard, the differences are apparent because of the angle of view and the type of knobs used: tophats vs speed knobs - each will look slightly different, whereas the fakes are quite consistently forward as mentionized above.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
If you're referring to the part, "...I'm seeing the front of the knob either lining up with the front of the tail piece as you noted, or even a bit behind it", then you should know that Gibson Les Pauls are consistent in this regard, the differences are apparent because of the angle of view and the type of knobs used: tophats vs speed knobs - each will look slightly different, whereas the fakes are quite consistently forward as mentionized above.

Ive got two genuine Chibsons, and both are behind tailpiece as mentioned.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
IMG_4184.JPG

Genuine 7 year old Chibsons.
Volume knobs behind the tail piece.
From what I hear they have gotten even better.

Vinsanitizer

VIP Member
Reaction score

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score

ibmorjamn

Reaction score

El Gringo

Reaction score
Ive got two genuine Chibsons, and both are behind tailpiece as mentioned.
May I ask the age of your 2 ? The reason why I ask is because yours have really nice tops and they do look really nice and if not for the placement of the Gibson Logo I wouldn't have been able to tell . So if I had to venture a guess on if they are newer or older I would guess older ?

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I somehow doubt the Seller knew it was fake! That copy looks dam good in the pics for a fake. The dowel rods are probably the easiest give away!?

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Well, it looks like the guitar is no longer available. So what does this likely mean? It likely means that someone just spent $2000.00 for a guitar that Guitar Center WAS TOLD TO BE A FAKE. Did they care? Of course not. They don't exactly have "experts" on hand who can tell the difference, and even if they did, would they have done the right thing?

Draw your own conclusions.

lespaul339

Reaction score
Fuck guitar center. I try not to ever buy anything from them or musicians friend if I don't have to. Both companies are a bunch of crooks. I've had horrible experiences with both.

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
Well, it looks like the guitar is no longer available. So what does this likely mean? It likely means that someone just spent $2000.00 for a guitar that Guitar Center WAS TOLD TO BE A FAKE. Did they care? Of course not. They don't exactly have "experts" on hand who can tell the difference, and even if they did, would they have done the right thing?

Draw your own conclusions.
When I was there they had it in their office. I had emailed them before asking if there was a case with it. They replied that it was a fake. I doubt that they sold it.

Latest posts