Went to GC to check out a Les Paul that turned out to be fake

Marshall Stack

Reaction score

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
That is a possible fraud or theft. Maybe the seller had been taken themselves though and didn't know. Thay should be afforded the opportunity to defend themselves and maybe return the money. They ashould only be required to return the money if it can be proven that they knew the guitar was fake. Still, nobody forced GC to buy it.

Proving the seller knowingly sold a fake to a DEALER who SHOULD know the difference might be as hard as it sounds.

I know what we all think of the average GC employee, but it is the company's business. It's in the name.

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
That is a possible fraud or theft. Maybe the seller had been taken themselves though and didn't know. Thay should be afforded the opportunity to defend themselves and maybe return the money. They ashould only be required to return the money if it can be proven that they knew the guitar was fake. Still, nobody forced GC to buy it.

Proving the seller knowingly sold a fake to a DEALER who SHOULD know the difference might be as hard as it sounds.

I know what we all think of the average GC employee, but it is the company's business. It's in the name.
The sales guy said it was a new sales associate that bought it and he said they should have known better. I guess it would be hard to prove he knew it.

Sapient

 
Reaction score
Seller to GC did nothing wrong if he never said it was actually real. Implication can be a real friend in the seller's case though.

That pickguard screw sure is one big nipple. Among a million other things wrong.

El Gringo

Reaction score
The dreaded Chibson which is a FAKA aka fake as in a forgery . Try tuning that sucker and keeping it in tune , much less getting a working tone from it . Probably an alder body with a maple vener top and who knows what the neck and fingerboard is made out of .

Vinsanitizer

Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
000000117647127-00-720x720.jpg

One quick way you can spot a fake Les Paul is to look at the location of the neck volume control in relation to the stop tailpiece: from the front view, like in this photo, the top of the knob should line up evenly with the top of the tailpiece. In this case the knob is too far toward the headstock. The second you see that you know it's fake. The truss rod cover, logo, inlays, fretboard color, finish and plastic all look hideously cheap. Still, if it played good, sounded good and didn't look like it was going to fall apart, I might be inclined to hit it for under $300, but not a penny more.

I'll bet it weighs at least 11 lbs.

Latest posts