Well, I made the trade

DJGranite

Reaction score
A few weeks back I posted about a trade offer I had.
I had a 1987 Greco EGC68-50 with Gibson Burstbucker pickups for sale.

I was made several trade offers, the first was a 1996 Fender MIA Lonestar Strat with Bill Lawrence (Wilde) Microcoil pickups.
among others was a 1977 Guild D-25 M, but it was about a 3 1/2 hour drive up the coast so that went on the back burner.

I got together with the Strat owner when he got the Strat back from having it setup.
He immediately fell in love with the Greco, It is a great guitar. Greco 68 50 front.jpg
After awhile I checked out the Strat, as expected with a recent setup to Fender specs it played great. Also included were Schaller locking tuners, and the original pickguard and Trem cover.Plus some non original pickups.
After we sat there playing guitar for a bit I said if we do this trade I think you're going to get the better deal, he looked very bummed out and said "so you don't want to trade?"
"Cause I really like this guitar"
I told I'm going to make the trade, mostly because I can see how much you like that guitar and I feel like you will play it, I have 5 Gibson Les Pauls and that guitar hasnt been played in 3 or 4 years. I feel good about it getting played.
Plus if I find the Strat doesn't offer me anything new I can get pretty much the same money on probably a quicker sale, not everyone knows about Greco's.

So yeah, I made the trade....
Here's some pics.
He told me he paid $60+ for the "aged" pickguard, not sure if I like it, but I own it now(pickguard)
20220503_190235a.jpg 20220503_190245 (1).jpg 20220503_190253 (1).jpg 20220503_190309 (1).jpg 20220503_190204 (1).jpg

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
A few weeks back I posted about a trade offer I had.
I had a 1987 Greco EGC68-50 with Gibson Burstbucker pickups for sale.

I was made several trade offers, the first was a 1996 Fender MIA Lonestar Strat with Bill Lawrence (Wilde) Microcoil pickups.
among others was a 1977 Guild D-25 M, but it was about a 3 1/2 hour drive up the coast so that went on the back burner.

I got together with the Strat owner when he got the Strat back from having it setup.
He immediately fell in love with the Greco, It is a great guitar. View attachment 107114
After awhile I checked out the Strat, as expected with a recent setup to Fender specs it played great. Also included were Schaller locking tuners, and the original pickguard and Trem cover.Plus some non original pickups.
After we sat there playing guitar for a bit I said if we do this trade I think you're going to get the better deal, he looked very bummed out and said "so you don't want to trade?"
"Cause I really like this guitar"
I told I'm going to make the trade, mostly because I can see how much you like that guitar and I feel like you will play it, I have 5 Gibson Les Pauls and that guitar hasnt been played in 3 or 4 years. I feel good about it getting played.
Plus if I find the Strat doesn't offer me anything new I can get pretty much the same money on probably a quicker sale, not everyone knows about Greco's.

So yeah, I made the trade....
Here's some pics.
He told me he paid $60+ for the "aged" pickguard, not sure if I like it, but I own it now(pickguard)
View attachment 107109 View attachment 107110 View attachment 107111 View attachment 107112 View attachment 107113
I think you got the better deal, you traded a knock-off LP that you dont play for an American Strat.

Love the gold body but I think I'd feel better with a vintage style bridge and vintage style tuners. :yesway:

Torren61

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just went on Reverb to have a look at gold Strats and almost all of them had white pick guards. A few had black pick guards which didn't really look BAD but I have a black Strat with a gold pick guard and it looks right. Some had tortoise shell pick guards and they looked okay. A few had gold pick guards and they didn't look right to ME. I would stay with white but swap out the pickup covers for white. Those yellow creme ones don't look right.

Congrats on the Strat. Grecos are cool as hell and great guitars. I have a super Tele kinda one and it is very high quality and I'd put it up against nearly any Fender Tele.

El Gringo

Reaction score
Congrats on getting this deal done . I like the look of the aged pickguard as it looks right to me . This was a good deal for you based on all of things mentioned . Rock out and enjoy :headbanger:

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
:yesway: I love gold Strats, though never owned one. They never appeared much in the stores.

DJGranite

Reaction score
I'd get a black pickguard for it, Or white Pickup covers.
What is it you don't like about it? (Ok, it's a Strat, but that's to expect)
I held a black pickguard up to the guitar, it's not bad but I think I prefer the Antique Parchment Pearloid that came originally.
I think you got the better deal, you traded a knock-off LP that you dont play for an American Strat.

Love the gold body but I think I'd feel better with a vintage style bridge and vintage style tuners. :yesway:
Well, it was a very nice guitar I traded, hard to let go of. Both of us were happy.
I love the Shoreline Gold as well, locking tuners are nice and the originals are included.
I just went on Reverb to have a look at gold Strats and almost all of them had white pick guards. A few had black pick guards which didn't really look BAD but I have a black Strat with a gold pick guard and it looks right. Some had tortoise shell pick guards and they looked okay. A few had gold pick guards and they didn't look right to ME. I would stay with white but swap out the pickup covers for white. Those yellow creme ones don't look right.

Congrats on the Strat. Grecos are cool as hell and great guitars. I have a super Tele kinda one and it is very high quality and I'd put it up against nearly any Fender Tele.
The Antique Parchment Pearloid that came originally look pretty good too.
I'll miss the Greco but it wasn't getting played and it is now :)
Congrats on getting this deal done . I like the look of the aged pickguard as it looks right to me . This was a good deal for you based on all of things mentioned . Rock out and enjoy :headbanger:
Thanks, I'm happy and enjoying ...
Congrats sweet looking Strat
Thank you... sweet playing too
:yesway: I love gold Strats, though never owned one. They never appeared much in the stores.
First Shoreline Gold I've had a chance at.

Latest posts