Weird Sounds From Dsl

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by justinrhoads80, Feb 7, 2018.

1. justinrhoads80

justinrhoads80 Well-Known Member

Hey guys I am experiencing something very odd with my amplifier. The amp seems to make this weird crackling noise on certain notes on the fretboard. They all seem to be anything c#. I play the 16th fret on the a and 11th fret on d and they all create this sound! I will include a video to demonstrate. I have tried other guitars and the same issue occurs. I have just plugged my guitar into the amp and ditched the pedals same problem. Experimented with pu heights, put the amp in half power mode, tried a different cable, and none of these seem to work!

It is EXTREMELY noticeable on the clean channel and subtle but noticeable on the lead channel.

I have a Marshall DSL40c, I am not the original owner, I bought this off of GC Used

What can possibly be causing this?

2. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

...don't play those notes. :shrug:

Try new tubes. Start with the Pre's. Considering it's there with other guitars as well, that's a very unique problem.

ampmadscientist likes this.
  3. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Possibly a microphonic tube that has a resonant frequency around C#. Swap in your spare set one at a time as G-Man suggests.

CraigP likes this.
  4. justinrhoads80

I tried removing a pre tube one time and it wouldn't budge and I was afraid if I gave it some force the tube would crack and a bunch of stuff, plus I was afraid I would get electricuted, I don't wanna die XD. Plus I really do not have the money for a full retube. Is there anyway I can do something to test each tube to see which one is screwed up?

5. Neil Skene

Neil Skene Well-Known Member

Sounds like an arc. I really don't know but would take a guess at checking out some new valves as suggested above.
    Might need to get some help there, any one you know that has had valve amps for a while.

tschrama likes this.
  6. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I could just be dirty tube sockets...Which means the tubes need to come out to clean them. But You can see which tube crackles by gently tapping each tube with a pencil with the amp on..hooked up to a cab...the noisy one usually will reveal itself this way.

CraigP likes this.
  7. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    Maybe tube amps aren't for you.

8. Ghostman

The tubes are usually very tight. Especially if they've been in there for a long time. Wiggle them gently, minimally, while pulling straight up. With the amp off, you won't get electrocuted by pulling tubes.

Just don't tongue the empty sockets for inspiration.

You will need other pre-amp tubes to test them though. You can't tell, just by pulling them out and swapping them around usually.

If you hear the problem on the clean channel, then it could be V1, V2, or V4. If it were only apparent on the OD channel, then it would most likely be V3. Swap V1 and V3 and see what you get.

Pay attention to the gap in the tube leads, when you are putting them back in.

jstich likes this.
  9. justinrhoads80

Just because I am not as knowledgeable on them as you are, doesn't mean they aren't for me. Instead of trying to insult me or whatever, try to help since you are the beholder of all tube amp knowledge. You can see the video the problem so there you go

crossy67 likes this.
  10. crossy67

crossy67 Active Member

Don’t worry about it man some people find the need to comment on every thread to either criticise or because they know it all. Too many amp/tone snobs on here who think they are the answer to everything. Sounds like a bad tube/tubes unfortunately.

11. justinrhoads80

Agreed, don't get why some people have to be a complete a hole! If I try to resell the amp for a new amp in the future, would it be better to replace the tubes? Also do I have to get them biased? My local tech charges so much for something like that and I don't feel comfortable doing something like that on my own

12. crossy67

crossy67 Active Member

Have you got another tech you could take it to? I understand if your not comfortable and better left to the tech if that’s the case. You could sell it as is but you would have to price it accordingly and also disclose the problem. Shouldn’t cost too much if only tubes and bias.

13. Crunchifyable

Crunchifyable Well-Known Member

Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet and learn how to fix these things.

Could be a bad tube. Could be a bad solder joint.

You should try disconnecting the internal speaker, connect to an external speaker, and try again. OR lower the volume to very very quiet levels to rule out "resonance" as an issue.

Unfortunately, I don't think Marshall puts a lot of effort into securing tubes from rattle in combos. EL-34s are particularly bad for combos, it seems like (I returned a Marshall combo for less rattles)

If you turn the amp on, like plug a cable in and turn it up until you hear hum. Then hit each tube with a pencil or a pen or something insulated. If you hear a lot of noise...bingo...bad microphonic tube.

On a used amp...you really have to bite the bullet so to speak and learn to fix them. Within reason. Things like changing tubes, even biasing with the right education, is not rocket science.

Plug in directly to effects return and see what happens as well.

My guess is you have a bad tube.

On modern amps like the DSL, when the amp is off, there's no power stored. No danger typically. When it's on...there's 450v on the power tubes and probably 220v on the preamp tubes.

14. Ghostman

Good call on the Effects Loop.

Plug guitar straight into the Return of the Effects Loop will bypass the Preamp tubes, ruling them out. But it's going to be really fuckin' loud.

15. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    Its not "knowledge", you just said you were scared to change a tube, thats a problem if you own a tube amp.

CraigP likes this.
  16. jstich

jstich Well-Known Member

'Don't tongue the socket for inspiration'. That shits funny.

Trelwheen and charveldan like this.
  17. justinrhoads80

I think a lot of people are scared at first with a tube amp. Im scaredwith it not because they aren't for me, but because if I fuck it up somehow, I am SCREWED

18. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

You really shouldn't take offense when someone suggests tube amps might not be the right thing for you.

I am fairly certain the intent was not to hurt or disparage you. You have to remember, when a problem such as yours comes up the first thing anyone familiar with tube amps will do is swap out the preamp tubes searching for the culprit. Many owners here have found that there are some people who are unfamiliar or uncomfortable taking care of their tube amps. Too many times this results in people taking their amps back and trading for one that is far less maintenance like a Solid State amp.

You wouldn't own/drive a car without knowing how to put gas into it or change a tire if one blew. Same situation with tube amps. You HAVE to be prepared to either maintain the amp yourself, or pay someone to do it for you. Sometimes the cliche 'bit off more than you can chew' seems to fit these people. The more you learn about taking care of your amp the better off you will be, and the better it will sound.

el_bastardo, CraigP and 4Horseman like this.
  19. Crunchifyable

Crunchifyable Well-Known Member

Just don't take a soldering iron to it. You should be able to remove and add tubes no problem.

You can even have a tube break in a socket and its not the end of the world to remove it. It takes practice (watch some videos) but it's not rocket science.

10 years ago I was scared to bias an amp.

Now i have the guts of a JCM800 preamp sitting beside me that I wired together.

You can't really fuck up an amp easily (short of diming it with no speaker or bypassing a fuse).

Personally I'd want to fix it and get rid of it.

BUT...maybe you can take it back to Guitar Center and they will not notice the problem. Trade it for an amp you do like. Wishful thinking eh?

20. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

You've tried almost all the basic troubleshooting to narrow down the source of the problem.

But have you tried playing the amp in a different room? Or moving it to a different location in the room where you normally play?

Every time I've had a note-related weird noise, it turned out to be something in the room sympathetically vibrating. Weirdest was the door knocker on the metal entry door in my living room.

You'd think it would be obvious that the noise is coming from a different source than the amp, but even when you move around or get real close to the amp, the location of the noise source can trick your ears.