We got our 3 year old a tablet.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Alligatorbling, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling Well-Known Member

Our little boy just turned 3. My parents got him a tablet for his birthday. It's a kindle fire kids edition. It has rubber foam housing so its shock proof. Actually its guaranteed for 2 years against ALL accidental damage. It came with a free year subscription to an amazon service, it's not prime, its access to kids content. We dont have internet at our house so I'm gonna take the tablet to work tomorrow and use wifi to fill it to capacity full of educational material, apps, games ect. I basically hang out all day at work so I have 8 hours to download content for the tablet. (I'm an in home care giver for a 94 year old man) .... you dont need the internet to use the content once its downloaded, so it works out nice because I can download the content while at work and once it's full of content he can use it whenever wherever internet or not.

I'm curious to see how it boost his cognitive abilities. Hes so smart its unreal. Having JUST turned 3, some might say hes too little for a tablet but I think he will take to it quickly.

2. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

I have a 4 year old grandson so I have no doubts that he'll take to it quickly. Young children are learning to cope with reality so inundating them with the virtual might not be wise. The latest peer reviewed medical consensus shows concern with exposure time, and the American Academy of Paediatrics recommends no more that one hour per day for children 18 months to 5 years old.

DaDoc likes this.
  3. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

What ever happen to kids books and wooden blocks .

4. Alligatorbling

I'm all about old school play time, but with the educational tools we have for children I say why not try them. Its going to be nothing but educational material on it. If this tablet can fuel his mind and help him learn then I'm all about it

5. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

You have the right idea of the future in education is a video screen. It is hard for some of us to get used to .

6. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

My (ex)wife worked with my 2 children with math and reading before kindergarten. By the time they were in 1st grade they were miles ahead. Kudos to you.!!!

Mitchell Pearrow and jimmyjames like this.
  7. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

My parents gave me a Tablet when I was 5, a yellow one. 1976.

8. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Long gone brother! Pretty soon bicycles will be gone, kids will ride bikes via an app! I do agree that tools like this are great for building the mind as long as its balanced with some real exercise type kid fun so they have a strong body to support their minds.

Mitchell Pearrow and houseofrock like this.
  9. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

It was supposed to be a choice between the blue or the red one. Just watch out for the rabbit hole.

DaDoc likes this.
  10. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

IME a child doesn't teach it's self. It never mattered what gadget i got for them they always dropped it after 5-10 minuets and were back up me ass. So i figured you wanna know what i am doing well get in here and do it too. That's how they learn through the instruction from another person.

11. anitoli

You really want to get a kid going? Take em fishing in some spot where there a loads of junk fish that bite anything and watch them have a blast. Plus you can teach them a bunch of stuff in the process. Get them outside. Computers don't teach them shit.

12. Alligatorbling

There are two camps. One old school. One new school. Technology is the present, and future. I want him to get a head start. Plus think about this, its illustrated audio books you can download so if we are on an hour road trip he hold his tablet in his lap and have a story read to him

13. anitoli

Why couldn't his mother read it to him? Children know when they are an inconvenience and are being pushed away. They NEED interaction with their parents/adults in their lives. No machine can do this better than a person. Teaching them about technology is one thing but they are humans and they need human interaction.

14. RandallPink

RandallPink Active Member

I'm more curious about the no internet at your home.

15. Alligatorbling

We dont have internet. We use our phones to surf the web and post on social media. We have an unlimited data plan so it's no worry of running out. We could get DSL where we are at but it's expensive and the speeds are slow, so we just use our phones. Im at work right now, the family I work for has blazing fast internet so I'm currently downloading like 50 educational apps. Once they are downloaded you dont need wifi to use them. So I'm gonna load it to full capacity so he will never run out of material. You can expand the storage to 1T so that's a LOT of educational apps, games, and books.

16. Alligatorbling

Dude. The tablets not gonna replace his parents. It's a learning tool and sometimes a toy. I see what your saying but technology is sky rocketing right now and I want him to have a head start.

Times have changed. Technology has reshaped the world as we know it and it will only continue to grow and change.

17. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

Our 4 year old Granddaughter is all hands on, art, books / story time every night. She's limited to what she can view on TV. No Frozen and the like. My son and daughter inlaw I believe are doing it right.. When she's with my wife and I it's all fun. Anyhow, we got her the Osmo for the ipad. She's grasping it, shapes, math etc. Maybe something similar to work with your Kindle fire.. Not sure.

She's really having fun with this..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085L3MVKF

DaDoc likes this.
  18. Alligatorbling

I've been looking over the content on the kindle and it's got apps that are so simple its unreal, shapes colors ect, then it's got advanced learning apps for older children.

Our little boy gets one on one play time all day long. My girlfriend is a stay at home mom. I always play with him in the evening when I get home, he spends time next door with my parents. He has a lot of adults in his life that love and teach him. When I'm with him our relationship is a constant learning experience. I explain everything I do while he watches and show him. His brain is like a sponge. That's one reason we wanted the tablet, it had an astronomical amount of educational content available for it. The more this kid can learn the better, plus it will be fun for him.

We are not traditional parents. Our parenting style is a little different but our chap is respectful and considerate. He shows so much empathy. He is a very happy little boy. I'd say hes laughing out loud 80% of the day.

wntbtw and jmp45 like this.
  19. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

They are for sure.. Always recording everything..

20. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

The two camps are:

1) The medical community objectively collecting empirical data and scientific evidence, and then publishing their findings in peer reviewed journals, and

2) Laypeople offering subjective anecdotal evidence void of critical thinking.

I wonder. Have you ever seen the behavior of a very young juvenile addicted to video games?

DaDoc likes this.