Wavy cab build take 2

Geeze

Reaction score
Moment I'm trying to build my first Guitar...
I really understand the Part about selfmade Necks- That's what I'm struggling with currently:erk:!

I'm with you! I watched a buddy build two for a strat - the pretty one was unplayable the ugly one was marginal. Maybe someday.

Working on the transition on the corner to make the vine look correct one both sides...

m3h2zkL.jpg

Drawing the lines to cut on the bandsaw and shape with the oscillating...

wVwXymA.jpg

Paduak side grain...

L4aRLrl.jpg

Glue up commences.

Russ

Geeze

Reaction score
Now that the ends where the finger joints are glued up I'm adding middle section vines. They certainly depict the randomness of nature. I'm going to tint the cross pieces made from sapele [the vertical vine wood] to differentiate them. Green looks dark and muddy on brown woods so something in an amber or orange are the current options. The sub layer will be tinted darker to separate it from the top layer.

fJpLCKH.jpg

I'm shaping arcs on the non wavy cross pieces to mimic the natural and I rigged up an easy way to hold the ends of a 36" rule to allow me to shape the middle for best look. Just two blocks with a saw cut the width or the rule and a couple clamps and I'm in the arc business. The grain of the maple, paduak and somewhat zebra wood will only 'work' with curves bent one way.

z6hNILa.jpg

Lunchtime.

Russ

Geeze

Reaction score
Experimenting with dyes on the sapele cross vines, merlot...

W41hLvL.jpg

Orange...

ru84w63.jpg

Amber...

KXbIQmF.jpg

Green, which after the brown wood slagging I gave it above I actually like...

UX4U2xz.jpg

Two of the top's cross vines were a bit short...

ttvOyCk.jpg

Here is the top trimmed up and the extensions being glued...

CnllltH.jpg

Was thinking about handle last night here is a ready made one on the top...

ZdsJe8U.jpg

I'd need to build a tray of sorts under it to keep the cab closed.

Russ

Geeze

Reaction score
I'm also contemplating making the 3/8" sub layer from either wenge...

DLLT6xb.jpg

Or zebra dyed a bit darker...

R5J7Alp.jpg

Right now I'm leaning toward the zebra even though it's a squirmy wood when resawed thin.

As I near the 24+ hour mark I'm thinking more vines on the sub layer is more nutbag than I'm willing to invest. My attention span is limited I have lots of design elements to solve and the thought of adding more is daunting. Of course talk to me tomorrow and I probably yell BANZAI!!! and jump off the more complexity cliff.

Russ

Geeze

Reaction score
Last bits for the sides. The curly maple ready to cut...

iGq2QIU.jpg

Same bits cut, sanded to fit, curves drawn and sanded...

kCJw6SG.jpg

Experiment with green - funny how non bleached wood resists greens...

pFD4HIB.jpg

Next will be the nerve racking square up and all important 'line up' of the long vines as they 'wrap' around the corners.

Russ

Geeze

Reaction score
Squaring up the 3 sides so the alignment of the lateral vines kicked my ass last night. Rather than start a fire I decided to move on to the next experimental area.

The sublayer.

The current idea is zebrawood milled to .3125" and glued to form the backing layer. I'm going for natural random so here is book matched in a W...

l1XTaXM.jpg

O6LzBUm.jpg

Stacked semi randomly

gCg5cDT.jpg

GpQc2Zq.jpg

Then the current idea is to mill in some 'in the distance' [smaller] vines to be seen in the gaps and filled with greenish/gray/black powders in epoxy.

Russ

Marcomel79

Reaction score
Squaring up the 3 sides so the alignment of the lateral vines kicked my ass last night. Rather than start a fire I decided to move on to the next experimental area.

The sublayer.

The current idea is zebrawood milled to .3125" and glued to form the backing layer. I'm going for natural random so here is book matched in a W...

l1XTaXM.jpg

O6LzBUm.jpg

Stacked semi randomly

gCg5cDT.jpg

GpQc2Zq.jpg

Then the current idea is to mill in some 'in the distance' [smaller] vines to be seen in the gaps and filled with greenish/gray/black powders in epoxy.

Russ
Wow man i cant wait to see the finished product. Thats one of the wildest things ive ever seen!

Geeze

Reaction score
First sublayer glued together...

92Sb0yI.jpg

Experimenting with milling vines in scrap zebra...

0gMe20t.jpg

Dump in some 5 minute epoxy as I don't want to wait for the art grade stuff...

8rIOWyk.jpg

It's a pale green with some gold and silver for some sheen. I'll be looking for some more vibrant greens this weekend.

The Dremel and Stewmac router base with a 1/32" tapered bit.

5pcCjA3.jpg

Works well for Marshall and other logos I put on headshells but I may try a larger diameter as it's easier to get large sweeping curves in wood with big grain.

Russ

BlueX

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not enough to say I'm impressed. I really enjoy to follow this project. Fascinating to follow your thinking and creation.

Geeze

Reaction score
Still experimenting with the sub layer...

Going for dead trees in the foreground, dark on the sides with a bit of 'light' in the far distance. Trees first - milled in.

ZbasqDh.jpg

Filled with graphite black tinted epoxy.

qWRSZjz.jpg

Working with CA and accelerants has spoiled this impatient fool. I wish there was an epoxy 'hurry the !*$! up!!!!" spray.

Also - the zebra may be too busy for the effect I'm fumbling my way toward.

Russ

Geeze

Reaction score
After dealing with some health BS and building my own T bolts so I could cut at least one side of the three sides square...

a46x5Rh.jpg

deofMAn.jpg

Got a bit thin on the cross vine and had a FUBAR that should go away when I round the edges...

QicNQ2Q.jpg

For grins I clamped the zebrawood sub layer - naked and semi colorized...

WhJk3dO.jpg

0uaA7mP.jpg

qNbUFIO.jpg

I'm thinking of turning the sub layer 90° to help differentiate it from the top layer.

On to the bottom and the front and back caps and fake fingers.

Russ