VS65R Buzz and Hum

BurntOut

Reaction score
Because I know which end of a soldering-iron is the hot one, a friend of mine asked me to look at his noisy VS65R.

I immediately replaced the power supply smoothing capacitors and, following the advice of several people in this forum, redid the solder on the power-amp board. This made no difference, sadly.

To rule out the noise coming from the input board, I disconnected it from the power-amp, (and shorted out the signal input to the power-amp board, by the way) - no difference, again.

I wonder if anyone with more experience than me can help, please, as I'm no expert. Because the VS65R isn't mine, I don't know whether they are always noisy, (although I doubt it).

Any thoughts gratefully received.

BurntOut

Reaction score
Thanks Pete,

It was C11 and C12 that I replaced. I'll check those other components as you suggest, (but I can't do it straightaway,) and report back. There was no DC on the output, but I'll double check.

Steve.

Neil Cawley

Reaction score
I had a VS265, which is also a second gen valvestate, and it was just noisey. I replaced almost all the caps resoldered, cleaned pots all to no improvement. I had a pro look at it and he said it was just a noisey amp, which is OK if you are playing outside or at a bar. I play in my music room and it drove me crazy so I sold it. Bought a first gen valvestae VS8280 which is dead quiet and the circuitry is much simpler.