VS412 same as 8412?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by felipevsw, Oct 26, 2021.

1. felipevsw

felipevsw New Member

Can anyone confirm if the VS412 cab is roughly the same specs as the Model 8412 from the Valvestate amps?

I hear from a good source, a local reputable player that has experiment all the gear known to man, that the Model 8412 cab has some issues like improper volume (as in volumetric measure) that make it sound very bad.

I'm trying to search for the specs of these cabs, sizes and all that to compare them, but I've been unlucky so far.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  2. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

felipevsw and SkyMonkey like this.
  3. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I did a few quick Google and Reverb searches and it appears that the 8412 and VS412 are both of about the same size, if not exactly the same size. And they ARE smaller than a 1960 cabinet. There's more space on the baffle board between the speakers on a 1960 cabinet, and you can see this when the lighting is right. This will affect bass output. Bigger cabinet, more bass output.

But, as they're both 4x12s, there's a definite limit on how small they can be. Incidentally, the MG 4x12 cabinets (M412) are about the minimum possible size for a 4x12, and they are made of MDF.

I don't know what the 8412 and VS412 are made of. I suspect it's not void free Baltic birch plywood like found in a 1960.

felipevsw and SkyMonkey like this.