>

Vox ac30cc2

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by rmlevasseur, Sep 4, 2015.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Very nice! I would have liked one but they are too heavy for me to haul around, any decent sized combo is for that matter. Enjoy it :yesway:

2. scat7s

scat7s Well-Known Member VIP Member

id go for a NOS 5AR4. they arent terribly expensive, but will likely be much more robust than CP. i had to remove the retainer as my GE 5AR4 is taller than the JJ that it came with. it barely fits in the chassis.

el84's...mine still has the sovteks that came with it. i dont care for sovtek 84's...but to date i have lived with them. been meaning to scope out something a bit more "vintage"....(and robust). although JJ 84's held their own vs CBS 6BQ5's when i was doing some comparisons in a different amplifier....to my ears anyway.

i forget what i have for preamp tubes in there...i think ive got a telefunkin in V1 and probably an RCA in V2.

phase inverter is probably a JJ or something cheap and disposable.

the thing about the AC is its not a 5 minute job to swap tubes in and out. its a pain in the ass...i used to leave my chassis out of the cab for days/weeks at a time experimenting with things, and put it back together when its time to travel.

3. rmlevasseur

rmlevasseur Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! I am real happy with the purchase. I was really going for a Tom Petty type of sound and there it is. I also got the dotted 8th thing going with my delays and bam...Edge.

Yea it is heavy, but still very manageable, especially compared to a head and 4x12. I bought a collapsible hand truck and a little 4-wheel dolly. I'd never lug it around without that anyway. I really like the size of it. Not as bulky as the 4x12 route but the box is big enough that it doesn't sound as small as most combo amps.

If you got a link to buy a NOS rectifier tube, please pass it on. Generally I use JJ and been happy with them, but I did have a new JJ rectifier tube go bad on my Pro last year and scared the hell out of me.

4. scat7s

well, let me take that back,....I thought you could find the 5ar4 at a reasonable price, but apparently not anymore...

the one I have I bought 6 or 7 yrs ago now...I don't remember it being more than 50 bucks...but it appears they are more in the 100 to 200+ range now...yikes.

5. rmlevasseur

hmm, one of the speakers has an odd vibration/rattle in it...

6. scat7s

check the bolt torque...if that doesn't solve it go greenback.

cornhusker86 likes this.
  7. knucklebut

knucklebut Active Member

the worse thing you can do to ANY tube amp us...roll it around on any kinda of wheels..man up and carry cuz..if you move it much at all the vibrations will rattle the tubes to death in no time. just a word to the wise. oh and great amp..I have an ac30..would get rid of any amp I have b4 I would part with it..congrats.

8. rmlevasseur

Yea I would agree. I rarely gig anymore unless invited. I am pretty much retired to my man cave/studio. The little dolly is just nice for getting the amp off the floor a little and if I want too roll it into position a little.

I have to agree, I really, really like this amp. This is my first el-84 amp and I am really digging the chime I kept hearing about. Now I want a JMI-era one!

cornhusker86 likes this.
  9. scat7s

did you get your rattle fixed?

10. rmlevasseur

The rattle is still being diagnosed. I can't yet determine if it's the amp, the speaker, or simply the amp picking up a little fret buzz that my other amps don't seem to detect as much. This amp has also never been retubed, so that is on my agenda as well. I am considering a celestion blue anyway, but to be honest I think that despite this little rattle I am hearing, the wharfdales sound pretty good. I did tighten up all the screws, but it didn't help.

11. rmlevasseur

Received a full new Jj compliment of tubes today. The original owner said he had never changed the tubes. I thought it sounded great but this is my only el84 amp and wanted backups. When I got the chassis out, I found 4 EH el 84, two tung sol 12ax7, one Chinese 12ax7 and a ruby rectifier tube. Obviously somebody retubed it at some point.

I am experimenting with the EH v. JJ el84s now and may post a comparison clip.

Should I leave that Ruby rectifier in there? I did have a new JJ rectifier go bad on my last pro reverb retube so a little nervous to pop it in, especially if no need.

12. dualampman

dualampman Active Member

I have the cc2x it has the blue alnico speakers. great amp. had it for a long time. I have in in a safe case. pretty heavy amp, built like a tank.