Volume Booster on Marshall Vintage Studio

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Chris Archela, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Chris Archela

Chris Archela New Member

Hey guys!
    I’m thinking of buy a Marshall Vintage Studio.
    Do you guys know if it’s possible having a volume boost for solos using a clean booster on the FX Loop? Assuming that I’ll use the drive from the amp.
    Many thanks for your help!

2. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

First of all :welcome: to the Forum.
    The SV is a very, very loud amp. You may be better served by using your guitars volume to boost for a solo.
    Most users use boosts, clean or other wise on their board in front of the amp.
    That is probably because that is from where the best results are achieved.
    BP

tce63 and Sustainium like this.
  3. Chris Archela

Chris Archela New Member

Thanks for replying BP.
    The thing is, I work in some projects with two guitars and for me just the guitar volume is not enough. I’ll need a volume booster. And a booster in front of the amp will give me more drive as well which sometimes is unwanted.
    Have you or someone else tried a booster on the fx loop to boost volume?
    Cheers

4. BanditPanda

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    WellBurnTheSky and Chris Archela like this.
  5. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

:slash: I'd just like second,
    The SV is a very, very LOUD AMP!

6. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

I can't see why not. If there is headroom. Any other amp I have ever played with a loop works fine with a boost or EQ in loop

7. BanditPanda

'Head room." Good point. I believe it was rolijen that said that the SV20 doesn't offer much in that regard?
    BP

tce63 and Jethro Rocker like this.
  8. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

And here, I always thought "headroom" was the space between my lap and the mixing console! :naughty:

Just Sayin'
    Gene

Trelwheen and tce63 like this.
  9. BanditPanda

Thanks for that Gene
    BP

purpleplexi and tce63 like this.
  10. mustafa

mustafa Member

You can use a volume boost in the fx loop if you are not pushing the amp beyond volume at 4-5. Beyond that, power tubes saturate so no headroom left for extra volume. In that case you can try a eq pedal in the loop to push mids and cut base for solos. I prefer to use this amp at slight gain break level (between Marshall clean and crunch) and push it with pedals in which case volume boost works fine.

BanditPanda, Chris Archela and tce63 like this.
  11. Wojciech

Wojciech New Member

If the headroom is an issue, then why not doing the contrary and using the pedal in the loop as a volume limiter? ON for a rhythm, OFF for solos.

12. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

This is probably not useful but... I see this trend of guys running something in the loop for a volume boost. I don't understand why people don't utilize the volume knob on the guitar? How are you playing so loud that you and fellow musicians can't trade off on volume levels with the guitar's volume knob... I mean I always figured that's the sole purpose of a volume knob.

Call me crazy but that's what I've always done and I've never had an issue rolling up and down for lead and rythym.

But... I guess I admit I have ran into guys that put the amp on 10 and the guitar on 10 and have no clue abiut dynamics.

13. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Couldn't have said it better myself.

(I also use a Spark Boost in front, just to get a little more)

Cheers :cheers:

T.J., scozz and Maggot Brain like this.
  14. Bogmonster

Bogmonster Active Member

I think this is all great but from my experience (from playing with an extremely selfish and huge ego 2nd guitarist in an old band) that you do need a bit of a volume boost to give a lift to a solo. And sometimes you might be playing a song that requires a quick change and you don't want to be fumbling with a volume knob.

If you're the sole guitarist in a band then this works perfectly. I still use a boost for a bit of a lift in solos but I always run my volume around 7-8 for rhythm and up to 10 for leads. Even when I step on the lead boost, I just turn up the volume on the guitar for more bite. The advantage of this for me is I can get a loud cleaner solo tone if I needed. It's all about manipulating the volume knob for different shades!!

15. freefrog

freefrog Member

Same feelings here for the same reasons.

And I've to repeat that in 40 years, I've seen SEVERAL Marshall amps damaged by excessively boosted signals in their loops: in the best cases, it require to change a fuse. In the worst situations, it can lead to change PI, power tubes and OT (this assertion translating first hand experience and not hearsaying).

Now, OP, do what you want and be happy. :)

EDIT -Conversely, I've used volume pedals in the loop of tube amps during decades without issues. It doesn't necessarily cooperate flawlessly with the impedance of the loop but at least, it's not dangerous for the amp.

BanditPanda, Maggot Brain and tce63 like this.
  16. Chris Archela

Chris Archela New Member

That’s exactly the way I use my set and the way I want to use my SV. My amp crunch and some pedals to increase drive in front of the amp and a clean booster for solos on the fx loop.
    I guess this amp will do the job as well!!

tce63 likes this.
  17. Chris Archela

Chris Archela New Member

My concern for s that the SV doesn’t have a master volume. Never used the drive of an amp without master volume.

Jethro Rocker and tce63 like this.
  18. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

I see where you're coming from, but it isn't applicable to all genres. Anything heavier rock, or with a busy arrangement, you can't have everything go slightly softer during the guitar solo. If anything, everything would tend to go up a notch (check any 80s Judas Priest live video for example).
    Especially in a band with 2 guitars, but also in many cases when playing with a keyboard player.

The "traditional way" would be to have the FoH guy to bring up guitar at that point, but unless you have your own engineer for each and every gig, you usually can't rely on that. So being able to have a volume boost of your own is handy (which won't happen with rolling up your guitar volume pot on an already saturated amp). Check out the Friedman PhilX amp. He has switchable dual master volumes for that very reason (when touring with his band, The Drills, he doesn't always have a soundguy at all).

As for the OP, I answered his questions with my experience on getting a volume boost with the SV on the other thread.

19. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Yes you can run a boost in the loop for lead volume boost. If master volume on an amp is more your style you always have the option to get the SC20 instead, these amps dont sound worlds apart. :yesway:

Back to the SV20, I run a JHS volume box in the loop, others here use an attenuator, so there are work arounds not having a master volume. :yesway:

I like the 4 inputs on the SV20 cuz it offers more tonal options I use for different guitars, if youre just plugging an LP into this thing and nothing else then the 4 inputs arent as important. :yesway:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Chris Archela likes this.
  20. Bogmonster

Bogmonster Active Member

I've never heard of boosting an amp causing damage before. That's interesting.

How did it happen? Were you stacking loads of boosts into an already driven amp?