>

Vintage Yamaha G30

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by renips, Apr 10, 2021.

1. renips

renips Well-Known Member

I have had this amp since early 1980. I used to put my ts 808 in front of the amp and it had a great sound. A long way from my current tube amps but was a major driving force in my early development as a guitar player. My daughter is playing now and she is progressing nicely. I just bought her a Squire Contemporary Telecaster for her Birthday, so I am giving this amp to her. I first had to remove the head from the cabinet. Some cool things to note. It has a real spring reverb tank that is mounted on two foam blocks to minimize noise from being jostled. Old school. I used deoxit on pots and connections after using compressed air to blow out dust which stopped the crackling and low volume. I really cleaned up the amp. Sounds better than ever. Here are some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    wakjob likes this.
  2. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Cool. Looks like it is built like a piece of electronics that could stick around for another generation, not like a tv remote control that will get tossed into the trash when a contact fails.

3. renips

renips Well-Known Member

Man, when I was a kid I spilled beer on it and cleaned weed and rolled on it. It was played on max volume most of the time. I think I may have re coned the speaker early on but not sure. It is built tough and should last another 40 years

4. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

just sold my 100 twin. jazz folks seemed to like these amps

5. renips

renips Well-Known Member

The clean sound on this amp is great. Its a great pedal platform amp, before the modern concept of a pedal platform amp. No effects loop. I don’t remember that being an issue with time based effects on the overdrive channel because it is a low gain amp and it takes any pedal with overdrive or without. The spring reverb is so cool.

ricksdisconnected likes this.