Vintage Modern

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by ibmorjamn, Oct 26, 2021.

1. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Looking for some reviews on this 100w 2466. I have played a combo and a head. It’s been a while and just played for minutes. I could get a good tone but I have no idea how good it does both vintage and modern. The one video I watched it seems to nail vintage. Anyone have insight on both spectrums? I really like the look of those monster tubes !

Trelwheen and FracStrat like this.
  2. gregr

gregr Well-Known Member

It’s a vintage sounding amp with modern amenities, namely reverb and a loop. The high gain mode does not sound modern.

Leon Todd has several videos including one where he attempts to play metal. Check them out if you haven’t already.

3. ibmorjamn

I did watch part of one of Leon Todd’s videos. It does do vintage. I will have to finish watching. The thing about demos is pro’s can make anything sound decent.Do you have one Gregr?

4. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

Obligatory VintMod clip post

If you go back to page 3 of this forum there's a lengthy thread. AFAIC, best new design Marshall since the MV amps were introduced in the mid 1970s (ie.. not including reissues-speaking strictly new amps)

5. shooto

shooto Well-Known Member

Only it does what it does…

I bought 4 of them…I always got it and tried to cop it with another amp (latest was JMD…which is an awesome amp)…couldn’t do it…nothing else does what it does…bought a 5th one and I’m keeping it (2466)

…and they are really great recording amps for rock

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  6. gregr

gregr Well-Known Member

I have the 50W combo. I tried a half stack about 10 years before that and remember liking it. Mine has now been modded beyond recognition.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    Trelwheen and ibmorjamn like this.
  7. ibmorjamn

What is wrong with your combo?

8. gregr

gregr Well-Known Member

It wasn’t what I had expected, but I got it on the cheap and love the speakers.

It’s now along the lines of a Friedman Smallbox but still needs a bit more work. The FX loop has been made more transparent.

ibmorjamn likes this.
  9. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

I've had the 2266C and the 2266 head w/the matching 4x12 ... great amps!

What do you want to know?

Btw., the stock tubes are KT66's.

Mitchell Pearrow and ibmorjamn like this.
  10. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Currently have a 2466H.

ibmorjamn likes this.
  11. ibmorjamn

Right off the Todd video says it does a modern meaning JCM 800 2203. Not my words , I know 2203 is not in the modern category in today’s world and I don’t care about that.
    2203 would do anything I would want. I have an option to possibly get a VM but if I do it has to be the one. I just don’t want to keep buying more amps. I will have to use a 2 notes captive load.

12. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Wow, that's a heavy load to wonder if an amp is going to be 'the one' without trying it out first.

It's not a modern sounding amp, but it'll take you from the 60's through the 80's. The reference to modern is because it's basically a hotordded JTM45 with the aforementioned things like reverb/etc. Compared to a 2203, I get the comparison, but it's a different sounding amp. It also has more distortion.

13. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Didn't watch his video, but I've got 2466 and 2203x half stacks I've been bouncing between the last couple of weeks, and I can tell you the VM sounds nothing like a 2203, and visa versa. As for a VM being "the one" for you, only you can decide. If you're ideal tone is a 2203, and you're hoping to pull that from a VM, you won't be happy (IMO).

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  14. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I have the 50 watt head its awesome! best with greenback speakers. Does a low gain good and high gain 80's excellent.

15. FlowBoxx

FlowBoxx New Member

Can you explain what the difference is for you and your setup?

16. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

I have the 50w head. It isn’t a loud amp at all—my 20w studio amps are both much louder. I turn the ‘body’ control all the way down and still I find the amp a little ‘tubby’. Agreed it isn’t a 2203/4–not enough cut or kerrang

17. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    I have both a 2466 and a 2266c. Very flexible amp with it's two dynamic ranges. LDR gives a nice old school JTM45 feel tone. Takes good OD pedals really well. Some people don't like the loop or reverb....I don't mind either. The loop feels quite lo-fi giving a vintage feel to delays, chorus and octaver type effects.
    I have used the LDR as my main tone, coloured with pedals, then gone to HDR for my lead tone. The lower you have the master the more this gives a boost in volume....too much at lower volumes. Once you get the master past 5, the difference is still very noticeable, but usable for a solo boost that you want to come right over the top in the mix.
    Whether you define the tone as vintage or modern is down to your own perception....there is certainly plenty of gain on HDR, eapecially with a RFT ECC83 in v2.
    A good compressor would tighten the tone enough for metal, but I like the open organic feel of the amp.
    You do have to learn how to use the body and detail controls as well as the tone and volume controls on your guitar to get the best from this amp. Pick attack and finger style variations are also great ways to vary your tone.
    I love it and will certainly never part with either.

Mitchell Pearrow, ibmorjamn and gregr like this.
  18. ibmorjamn

I will try it . I have a cheap China 2204 25w clone sitting on the bench . I can also build that circuit. The VM has more complexity built in it. Price wise the vintage modern is affordable compared to a used 2203 in today’s inflated market. My friend back Cali has a 2203 and he might sell it. He is playing drums in a country band (eyes rolled) but that is 1000 miles away. The thing is a Origin 50 is less and can be modded. It’s not a VM but seems like they are doing approximately the same except the VM has more options.
    From video I hear the VM having a cleaner sound than the 2203. Full open string chords have a slightly better definition. I like that and the tubes might have made some of that possible. I know saying it’s the one is asking a lot. I would like to have one amp that is Marshall and sounds good enough to me that I would never think about selling it.

19. ibmorjamn

This guy just put a pedal in front and that is plenty of overdrive to me. So it seems to cover a bit more with the pedal as I would expect.

20. ibmorjamn

Johan always dials in some decent tones.

ken361 likes this.