Vintage Modern Combos

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Graham G, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Graham G

Graham G Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Hi,excuse my ignorance(i'm fairly new to Marshalls),can anyone tell me what Combos where available in the VM line up

tce63 likes this.
  2. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    Only one. The 50 watt 2 x 12 model 2266c...in either purple with black grain tolex or just straight black.

FennRx and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  3. Graham G

Thanks,my interest in Marshalls seems to be going backwards.:band:

Trelwheen likes this.
  4. Georgiatec

If you are in the market for a used VM combo, they can be picked up for the £300-400 mark.
    They are a fantastic amp. I have both the combo and a 100 watt topped full stack. Some folk struggle to get them set up correctly due to the unusual body and detail controls. Once you get your head around it though, there is no better Marshall amp been made in the last 35 years....IMHO, of course.

JimiRules, Trelwheen, Kelia and 2 others like this.
  5. jchrisf

jchrisf Well-Known Member

Can it do a authentic JCM 800 or is it it's own thing?

6. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

...and also IMHO too!

Georgiatec likes this.
  7. Graham G

Thanks,George?.I've been trying to find the dimensions/weight(i'm old)for the 2226C but drawn a blank(inc Marshall site),I don't suppose you could help me with the specs ?.
    Cheers,Graham.

Mitchell Pearrow and Georgiatec like this.
  8. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

2x12 combo's are heavy - my jtm60 2x12 with 2off v30's in is like a tank-you need to take a deep breath before you pick it up , lol

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  9. Georgiatec

No....It's more a JTM45 on steroids.

10. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

Its a heavy mutha, at 30kg. But having handles each side as well as on top helps.

Manual with dims and specs is here:

http://musiciansroadhouse.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=11615

Georgiatec likes this.
  11. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

I boosted HDR the other day for the first time..it will def do 800 & a hair more brutal..think of the body & detail as the 2 channels on a 4 holer & it will come together real nice . I run treble side to taste & bass side to fill in as needed...them kt66's can sound heavy & brootal

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  12. Georgiatec

You're welcome Graham.
    The model is 2266c which explains why you drew a blank on 2226c.
    W...26"
    D....10"
    H....21"
    Weight is approx 30kg, so not to be confused with light. It does, however, have side handles to aid with carrying and this makes for an easy two man lift.
    Power amp is 2 x KT66 valves, with 4 ECC 83's in thr pre-amp. Single channel amp with Low and High dynamic range (footswitchable)
    The speakers are 2 x G12C Greenbacks which are a special edition version that was also used in the Jimi Hendrix limited edition cabs. These speakers are also used in the VM 425 a/b 4 x 12 cabs.
    Hope this helps you.
    Cheers, Tony. (one of my daughters is Georgia, hence the handle).

Mitchell Pearrow and Geeze like this.
  13. Graham G

Thanks Tony:),i didn't know the combo was only made in a 2x12",a 30kg amp is going the wrong way at my age,i'll have to think again.:(

Georgiatec likes this.
  14. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

If you can get help, use a trolley, etc. I'd highly recommend a VM, especially for the price you can find them at if patient. But if you need smaller/lighter, maybe check out an Origin, dsl or SV combo (might want an attenuator too for the SV)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  15. Graham G

Thanks JohnH,i already have both a DSL20H & ORI20H & neither of them have enough welly for our Old Mans 3piece Pub Band,of the 2 the DSL is the better fit for me the ORI needs pedals,which I don't use,so i'm looking for something with a bit more grunt.

16. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

The 2266 head is 18kg. The head and a 1x12 or 2x12 cab might be more manageable even if it requires two trips to and from car to stage.

Georgiatec and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  17. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

OK, but what's the point of having a drummer if they can't help move your gear?

Head plus cab could be a good option. But the combo comes with a pair of exceptionally sweet G12C greenbacks.

My other Marshall is a dsl401, which is a 1x12, weighed down a bit more with a V30. Although the VM is bulkier, and heavier, I find it easier to move due to the side handles, even as a one person lift since you can pick it up symmetrically. The del with its only top handle twists me sideways. With help, the VM is very well set up for two to share the weight. Castors could be added, and use of trolleys etc can help.

The most tricky move would be one person moving it down narrow steep stairs.

kustombob likes this.
  18. Graham G

Wow,a Drummer helping with gear,life must be different in NSW:D, mentioning the DSL,i've started looking at the DSL40CR should have that bit more grunt(than the 20)& a bit lighter & maybe as important a smaller footprint than the VM & a couple of extra voicing options than the DSL20 which I hadn't realised it had,although I did have a JVM215C (briefly),which I didn't get on with,so maybe more foot switching might not be a great idea.
    Another disadvantage with getting old is(& there are a lot:()i overthink everything.:)
    Your thoughts on the DSL/VM,would be appreciated.

19. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

DSLs, in my experience, are best treated as a single channel amp. You pick a channel and a gain mode and eq the amp to the room and stick to it. If you don't use pedals much-I don't- then you probably use the ultra channel almost exclusively. The classic channel on the DSL, however, has long been established as a popular pedal platform. Switching between clean and dirty on the fly has never been one of the DSL's strong points. The channels are just so different it's like two different amps, but the EQ is shared.

VM is also a single channel amp but with two modes, low dynamic range and high dynamic range. Although it has switching between the modes, the volume jumps are so great that you can't use it to switch between clean and dirty. If you don't use pedals much then you will probably use the HDR mode mostly.

So how is that different from using the DSL ultra channel mostly? The DSL has more gain on tap but the VM responds so much better to picking dynamics and it cleans up better when rolling down the guitar volume.

20. Graham G

I use a DSL20H & I see what you're saying,i can just about use both channels, but I live mostly on the ulta ch.,I thought maybe with the 40CR having clean/crunch & OD1,2 modes on its 2 channels it may have a bit more scope & obviously more output than the 20HR.
    Getting to dem a DSL is fairly easy but with a VM,i'd probably just have to buy one & suck it & see.
    But the size of the VM combo is a negative,the JVM215 combo took up a lot of room in the playing space in the typical pubs we play in anything bigger could be an issue,still if the VM really was what i'm looking for,i might just have to find the extra space.

Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.