Vintage Modern 2266 volume

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I'm using a 2266 at the moment with my band and I barely go over half way. Our drummer is in his 60's though so, there is that.
Yeah the 2266 undoubtedly has volume and could play live but I guess in my experience of playing 2204s, 2203s and 1959s it is underwhelming in volume.

I think it's more related to how I want to apply the amp itself, so far this volume quirk is the only drawback I've found with the 2266... The fx loop is a little coloring but that's another subject all together.

Overall I still love the 2266.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for something I don't remember what.
I have both the 2266c and a 2466 atop 425 A & B cabs. If your 2266 is too quiet check the bias. Should be running at around 40mv per tube. When I got my used 2009 combo the bias was set around 20mv per tube. It makes a massive difference to the output volume. The hotter the bias the louder your amp will be. The background noise, however, also increases, so it's a balance between volume and noise. I've found around 40 to be the best for me.
It's still pretty quiet for a 50w rated amp. Plenty loud enough for bar gigs though, for which I've used mine without micing many times.

Toraboramusic

Reaction score
Put an overdrive infront (your favotite) with drive low, more like a boost, dime the master to 10, use the detail to get the volume you want to achieve that way. Keep body lower than the detail. (In LDR range.) Mine sounded great that way until it blew something which is why ive opened a new thread; "Vintage Modern power failure!"

Kelia

Reaction score
I have both the 2266c and a 2466 atop 425 A & B cabs. If your 2266 is too quiet check the bias. Should be running at around 40mv per tube. When I got my used 2009 combo the bias was set around 20mv per tube. It makes a massive difference to the output volume. The hotter the bias the louder your amp will be. The background noise, however, also increases, so it's a balance between volume and noise. I've found around 40 to be the best for me.
It's still pretty quiet for a 50w rated amp. Plenty loud enough for bar gigs though, for which I've used mine without micing many times.
Agreed , I remember biasing one of my 2266 head by ear ! Turned the dial till the noise was gone
and done ! lol

ken361

Reaction score
Just bought a mogami speaker cable for mine it really opened the LDM up very acdc highway to hell tones. Had to drop the detail a notch on the HDM I ran it on 9 and body at 7 with my Evh guitar. Basement rocking with the master at 10 o'clock lol 😆 it was loud . Had a live wire advantage cable before the mogami.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Interesting to those that have headroom on LDR. I know the drummer I jam with is a pretty hard hitter but I remember having difficulty with clean volume on LDR. On HDR it was no problem but thus more gain than I prefered. I feel the amp was designed for HDR and if I remember correctly the LDR switch was sort of added last minute.

I'd love to snag a 2466h one of these days.

Kelia

Reaction score
Interesting to those that have headroom on LDR. I know the drummer I jam with is a pretty hard hitter but I remember having difficulty with clean volume on LDR. On HDR it was no problem but thus more gain than I prefered. I feel the amp was designed for HDR and if I remember correctly the LDR switch was sort of added last minute.

I'd love to snag a 2466h one of these days.
Just bought a 2466 , never thought I'd buy another VM ,had a love / hate relation with them since the beginning and this is my fifth one , damn !
I've made Peace now with it just by not using the HDR button , going Robin Trower style with Strat , old school fuzz face and Uni-vibe !...done !
Sent a request to Headfirst Amplification to see if he could come up with a mod for the HDR so he said he would check this out ,
would have been great if the gain on the HDR mode would be more organic sounding and instead of having a reverb knob ,it would be an HDR volume to match the LDR volume.
Man if I'd be a knowledgeable tech ,I would come up with something awesome !

ken361

Reaction score
Just bought a 2466 , never thought I'd buy another VM ,had a love / hate relation with them since the beginning and this is my fifth one , damn !
I've made Peace now with it just by not using the HDR button , going Robin Trower style with Strat , old school fuzz face and Uni-vibe !...done !
Sent a request to Headfirst Amplification to see if he could come up with a mod for the HDR so he said he would check this out ,
would have been great if the gain on the HDR mode would be more organic sounding and instead of having a reverb knob ,it would be an HDR volume to match the LDR volume.
Man if I'd be a knowledgeable tech ,I would come up with something awesome !
How did you set the HDM body and detail? What speakers?

Last edited:

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Are you anywhere near Pittsburgh? You can try my 2466 if you’d like.
Thanks for the offer man! I'd love to come check it out and Jam with another MFer but I'm way the fk out in Washington these days, not too far from Seattle.

Detail always higher than body.
4X12 cab loaded with Pre Rola G12M's
Damn bro, I bet LDR sounds amazing with thos pre rolas, now that is a sweet combination.

You ever experiment with little to no Body? I tended to keep my Body control a lot lower than detail and sometimes I'd just 0 the body. I felt like the Bass control was usuable then.

Congrats on the 2466! Damn it now I'm wanting one again. It would look oh so beautiful with that purple tolex, sitting below my SV20.

Or maybe I should throw some KT66s in the SV?....

Kelia

Reaction score
Damn bro, I bet LDR sounds amazing with those pre rolas, now that is a sweet combination.

You ever experiment with little to no Body? I tended to keep my Body control a lot lower than detail and sometimes I'd just 0 the body. I felt like the Bass control was useable then.

Congrats on the 2466! Damn it now I'm wanting one again. It would look oh so beautiful with that purple tolex, sitting below my SV20.

Or maybe I should throw some KT66s in the SV?....
Yes it does sound awesome with those Holy Grail speakers ! The other night , Body was at *1 and Detail *2 , this was at lower volumes thoiugh.
I had 3 2266 and this is my second 2466 and I prefer the 2466 , the low end is beefier.

This one I bought from a guy that came from Europe and he gave me a transformer to go with it from 240 to 120V
and I think it's also a voltage regulator so ti stays at 120 and the amp sounds very good and sweet , maybe
that's one of the reasons. I'll experiment again some day with the HDR and see if I can find a combination I like ( Guitar ,HDR, Detail, Body )

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is set up a the rehearsal space so I only play it every few weeks, Still not a loud amp by any means but it can hang in that scenario. Ended up turning the body all the way down all the time--for me that helps with the mud when it's pushed. IMO this is one of those amps that sounds much better in a band mix than it does alone. Not my fav amp but for I think $750 or so it was def worth the money.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, you are spot on. I have the 50w head and actually brought it home from the practice space b/c of the thread here on the forum I wanted to spend some time with it. It is the quietest 50w amp I have owned--I pretty much open the thing up any time a drummer is involved. Which made it flubby. So I tried turning the 'Body' down all the way and cranking the 'Detail'. Helps with the flub--opens it up IMO. Still not a loud 50w tho.
I had heard this about 2266’s, not being very loud for 50 watts. I’m wondering, how does it compare with your Studio amps as far as volume is concerned?

Latest posts