Vintage JTM-50 - S/11295 - 1968 - what it it worth? How to rennovate (if at all)

Ivan H

Reaction score
Not available
Oh, ok, I should have looked first to see if in stock, apologies.
I have two 50 watt chassis/hardware/headcab etc Valvestorm orders sitting here atm. Shipping of the second was delayed a few weeks due to the PT bracket being temporarily out of stock.
The Brian Wallace/Marstran site list them for $20 without purchase of a PT, $18 with. Cheers

Torren61

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, ok, I should have looked first to see if in stock, apologies.
I have two 50 watt chassis/hardware/headcab etc Valvestorm orders sitting here atm. Shipping of the second was delayed a few weeks due to the PT bracket being temporarily out of stock.
The Brian Wallace/Marstran site list them for $20 without purchase of a PT, $18 with. Cheers

No worries, my friend. Thanks!

Reaction score
I wonder what it sounded like with the partridge, an irony that a true upgrade gets turfed out for a lesser piece, the two transformers are not really comparable quality wise.
You gotta wonder why it was changed out when the amp was relatively new.

redfish

Reaction score
The Amp is sounding great. now its been given the once over. I had my first rehearsal at volume yesterday ..... that was so cool (after 30 years collecting dust in a cupboard) .... Neil did a great job in bringing her back to life. Cheers Neil.

Its Luke

Reaction score
Harsh words about the Marshall factory working on the amp... that surprises me.

Glad you have it up and running, bet it sounds
glorious!

redfish

Reaction score
Thanks Luke - yes it is amazing to have it back in better shape than it ever was since I first had it in the 70's .... strange really.

Spanngitter

Reaction score
I need to bring back the topic to that Hunts Capacitor which goes HT Fuseholder > GND since I have this one also present on the 69 JMP I currently have here at work.
Since my own experience with such a failing cap was quite a tension I usually cut them out as I do not see any sense behind them beside they can electrocute you when failing.
I know that some techs do replace them with modern X Type Caps but I'll prefer to get rid of those...any opinion?

BTT
Nice Amp and real nice work done @neikeel

redfish

Reaction score
I love this amp now that Niel has brought it back to life.

I have realised that I dont have much prospect of using it to its max - not much prospect of a soundproofed room - and I play other instruments (not guitar) at gigs these days.

After a lot of thought, I will be putting this baby up for sale in the Classified section - so that someone can really enjoy it to its full extent.

boola1

Reaction score
Don't do that, they will ruin/devalue it by changing caps etc

They haven't got the time to run it up slowly either.

Don't take it to Marshall, whatever you do. They are not capable of sympathetic service or restoration work on vintage amps - the Bulgin will be replaced with an IEC to make it "safe" for a start. As Seanxk says, they'll get it working, but they will ruin its originality and it will be harder to sell to a serious collector. You'd do better to sell it as-is than spend money having Marshall decrease its value.

Do you have any experience of this? Whenever I've visited Marshall, once with a 67 Superlead, they were all brilliant. They wouldn't do anything to it without me giving it the OK first.

Seanxk

Reaction score
Do you have any experience of this? Whenever I've visited Marshall, once with a 67 Superlead, they were all brilliant. They wouldn't do anything to it without me giving it the OK first.

When did you take the 67?, did it have a Bulgin? and one when it came back or did you OK that swap, I'm sure if you specify they call you on parts swaps they will, but if you know your stuff and you dig in then perhaps they will do it your way, but the important question comes, why would you take it Marshall when @neikeel has offered to help?

StuC

Reaction score

Not personally, because I wouldn't take one of mine there and I do my own servicing anyway. I have seen enough JTM45s with Bulgins and all the "out of spec" pots replaced by Marshall that I wouldn't suggest an uninformed person let them have carte blanche.

I've also seen old cabs re-covered by Marshall where they'd sprayed their thick black adhesive on the inside - no thought to masking it.

neikeel

Reaction score
I had one that had just the above. New pots (push on knobs) all the jacks, lamp amd switches. Another that came to me to be undone.

Key point is that yes, they will do a good electronic repair but it will certainly be al current production components.

boola1

Reaction score
When did you take the 67?, did it have a Bulgin? and one when it came back or did you OK that swap, I'm sure if you specify they call you on parts swaps they will, but if you know your stuff and you dig in then perhaps they will do it your way, but the important question comes, why would you take it Marshall when @neikeel has offered to help?

It must've been over 10yrs ago. It didn't have a bulgin anyway so that wasn't a problem. They do it while you wait. and after they have a Les Paul, a 4x12 and you can crank it up to 11 to test it out. And they love it! I remember a few people coming in to check out what the hell was making all that noise :)

But yeah, if Neikeel offers to help you out, you take that everytime :)