>

vintage early 80s Celestion G12 80 with 444 55hz cone ...FANTASTIC !!! best speakers ever

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Mars, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Mars

Mars Member

first of all.. I am into Celestion speakers by more than 3 decades and I always been partial to vintage Greenbacks G12H 30w 55hz ones, I tried really almost all the great ones but I found lately these gems: G12 80 with 444 55hz bass cone and Im blown away, sound is incredible: great low end with detailed mids and top end which is clear and not shrill at all, they are very detailed in all the spectrum not like the Vintage 30 that seems always to miss some part of it (especially in the midrange)... they are perfect on both heavy distortion and cleans (not fat on one and thin on the other), react perfectly to guitar volume (Im mainly a Les Paul Custom into heavy crunching Marshall plexi user).
    From my understanding they have been used by Slash on Guns'n'Roses Appetite for Destruction record and John Sykes on Whitesnake album (with Jose Marshalls), Im more into John Sykes than Slash but happy that I can retire my vintage greenbacks, cant love these G12 80 enough..
    It took me a couple years to find them but it was worth it.. anyone having experience with them?

GIBSON67 likes this.
  2. tschrama

tschrama Well-Known Member

Could you share a photo of the front and back of that type celestions?

3. Mars

Mars Member

I have exactly same as this ones (no affiliations Im not in the US, just taking pictures from internet for a fast reply), great speakers:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GIBSON67 and tschrama like this.
  4. tschrama

Thx, too bad these look different from a pair of speakers locally for sale here.

5. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

Those are great speakers, I like them too. Good all rounders, can do heavy, clean, blues. Big meaty sound.

GIBSON67 and Mars like this.
  6. Jeff West

Jeff West New Member

Me three! One of my favorite post-'70s Celestions. I have some of the "444" version which I like, but I especially appreciate the "1777" versions, they have a nice open and toneful upper end thing as well as the solid rest of the spectrum in a highly durable package. The magic of fibreglass? Seems to be getting harder to find the early '80s 1777 version, fortunately I have some though and I've never blown one.

Mars likes this.
  7. Mars

Mars Member

444 all the way bro ;-) I had the 1777, very good but got that mushy mids and a "distance" with the low end that I did not like, however great speakers (444 cone)

GIBSON67 likes this.
  8. Jeff West

Jeff West New Member

Glad that one hits the spot for you hard, Mars!

Mars likes this.
  9. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member

Mr. West, how the heck are you?

10. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

T2876's, T3103's all the way! Great score and I agree with everything you said, even about the lead coned 80's.

I had a quad of T3103's and they sounded exactly like my T2876's. My cab is a JCM800 B cab. They sound great for bass, also.

T2876's Oh YEAH.jpg

netlocal likes this.
  11. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

If you want Celestion UK-made G12h-80's with 1777 cones, you can buy any amount you want new in box at regular retail prices

Mesa sells them as Mesa-badged Black Shadow MC-90's on their website

12. VladSRB

VladSRB Member

I agree with everything you said
    Great speakers
    I had a pair, but didnt have empty 2x12, and sold them
    Still regreting :mad:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    GIBSON67 and Mars like this.
  13. Mars

Mars Member

no way, completely different.. and this thread is about the mighty 444 cones not the sissy 1777 ones sorry but thread police is high here

GIBSON67 and VladSRB like this.
  14. Jeff West

Jeff West New Member

"Mr. West, how the heck are you?"

@Scumback Speakers, Hey Jim- Pretty fine, thanks for checking! We're still here in Houston area, x10 years next month. My son just graduated from UT in Austin and is headed for med school now. During the pandemic he learned to play guitar, lefty on restrung Danelectro upside down, so we're proud of him all around. Daughter in New Orleans has a granddaughter on the way. Wife and I are both still working, mostly remotely from home. My Dad is still perking along at 93. And I'm still strumming and grinning on a daily basis, so try to stay appreciative and satisfied as I can!

Hope you're good. You have a new locale, right, hope that's beautiful for you.

Jeff

15. tschrama

Well, I managed to pickup a G12-80 with 444 cone today. Havent had much time to play with them yet. They are supposed to be from 1981 and look very similar to the photots you posted. First impressed is accentuaced low and high, uet not ahrill like the Classic Lead 80 or G12H-30 anniversary. Wolly bass and lots of it, bit scooped. Could very well be speaker used on Appetite for Destruction . Especially judging by the treble.

Mars and GIBSON67 like this.
  16. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member

Jeff, pretty nice up here in Prescott, AZ. Views are great, people are great, little to no traffic.

The only downside is cleaning up the mess the movers made by mixing up boxes (ARGH!) and getting everything sorted. I'm hoping after tomorrow with some more help I can finally dial in the rest of the shop stuff, then I can plan out where the desks, break in boxes, etc are going in the most effective space left around the moving boxes left to unpack.

So far, so good, though!

Glad to hear you're doing well in TX, and the kids/grandkids are all good!

Jim

17. Mars

Mars Member

one isnt enough ;-) mine are not wooly at all low end is great and well detailed, love also how the mids and highs are mixed together and how the overall blend gets out, its really more and glorious

18. Force235

Force235 Well-Known Member

Yep great speaker, highly sort after...

Mars likes this.
  19. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

The vintage lead coned ones are pretty fn awesome too...and not the same speaker as them modern mesa branded speakers that were mentioned earlier.

20. thornybank

thornybank New Member

Def my favourite rock driver.
    I have a couple quads of these from JCM800 1982 cabs if anyone is seriously interested.

Mars likes this.