Very old Marshall valve amp?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by frankgoldstar, Mar 5, 2021.

1. frankgoldstar

frankgoldstar New Member

I have had this amp for well over 30 years. As I have other, "lesser" amps (and as I am a crap player) I have not used it for a long time. I am looking for advice and opinions on the amp as I long ago asked Marshall to tell me if some minor spares are available for it and given them the serial number, but got nothing much back. The last time I spoke to them must be ten years or more ago, and the guy I spoke to admitted that serial numbers on early Marshalls were inconsistent, to say the least. He did say they had one old employee who recognised most numbers, and could identify the amp, but he was off ill. I sent the info in to this person, but got nothing back. For all I know, the long time employee (I was not told his name) may have died, and my enquiry ended there. So, what is the amp? I have attached some photos in the hope assembled wisdom can help me out here. Best wishes, Frank B Chassis front.jpg Under chassis.jpg Under chassis.jpg Chassis front.jpg Serial plate close-up.jpg Case from front assembled.jpg

2. Rudy v

Rudy v Well-Known Member

It is the first 20watt pa head with all the controls and sockets on the front

3. Rudy v

Rudy v Well-Known Member

Here is a picture 16149781419988504617480790642442.jpg

4. easy

easy Member

5. frankgoldstar

frankgoldstar New Member

Dear Rudy, many thanks for the info. I looked at the photo you kindly sent and wondered if it was multiple photos of the same amp, or if you had left two together and they have bred! One of the links/photos identifies the amp as a
    Marshall 2061X 20W.
    I hope to be able to chase a few items that the amp needs to look a bit better. The carry handle was too dangerous to use, and the end clamps chrome is not too good. If I sort things like that out, I may listen to my wife. My wife keeps telling me I should get rid of some of my kit (pointing out that other people could better make use of it - ouch) so it may be that I part company with theat some time. Best wishes, Frank B
    Dear Easy, thanks for the links. Along with the photos Rudy posted, I can now see if I can find some bits. As I told Rudy, the carry handle is US, and even though it is not a big Marshall, it is a ball ache to try to carry it around without the handle. I have restricted space after downsizing, so things get stuffed in corners or at the back of shelves and wrestling with some of my kit is no longer fun. best wishes, Frank B

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

7. Rudy v

Rudy v Well-Known Member

Here are some more pictures from a book the history of marshall 16152313636336049005460921360472.jpg 16152314447102413787873109374093.jpg

8. Rudy v

Rudy v Well-Known Member

Here some model number and year 1615231724639595468573491755147.jpg

9. Rudy v

Rudy v Well-Known Member

Fore the carry handle one for the 2061x if available order from marshall

10. Rudy v

Rudy v Well-Known Member

Normaly they come with two column speakers cabinets here is a picture from a 1968 catalogue 16152365977922707332907910621981.jpg

11. frankgoldstar

frankgoldstar New Member

Dear Ampeg, that looks like Marshall have decided to not only produce a re-issue, but also a derivative. I have been trying to remember how long I have had this amp, and the nearest I can get yet is after 1976, but before 1980. It seems to be a vey early piece of kit, as confirmed by London John in an old thread kindly provided for me to look at. He had one with the mini Bulgin on the front, but I imagine it got moved as most people seemed to think it was a stupid place for the mains input. And the plus point was it gave them room for the new logo! Best wishes, Frank B

12. frankgoldstar

frankgoldstar New Member

Dear Rudy, you have really done all the heavy lifting for me. Would that Marshall had been so helpful. You actually appear to know a lot more than the guys I spoke to and emailed about the amp at Marshall themselves. Not that I could really expect anything else, as they are in the business of making and selling new gear, not helping an old loon resuscitate a dinosaur. And my guess is that the person that I was told about who knew all the old stuff was probably Jim himself, as I was told the guy was off ill, and JM died not too long after. I will do a bit more digging, but just being able to order a carry handle will be a great help. The original on it was leather, and to say it was rotted is an understatement. I took it off before I forgot, grabbed it and broke both foot and amp! Many thanks for all your information, you are a star. Best wishes, Frank B