VERY old guitar! NGD

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Maggot Brain, Jun 26, 2020.

1. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Congrats on a fine Classical Guitar . I assume it uses nylon strings ? I can just hear the flamenco music !

Maggot Brain likes this.
  2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Good deal if that guitar could talk the things it Sean

Maggot Brain likes this.
  3. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Hey, yours plays, killer. I have a Lyon and Healey made Henry L Mason parlor, basically a Washburn from around 1895 or so. It's a long term project but getting close. 20200629_183758.jpg 20200629_183818.jpg its really a sweet little thing, Brazilian, Ebony, even got ivory tuners. I will not do a hack repair job on this, thats why its taking so long.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  4. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

That is beautiful! Yes, take your time and do it right. I imagine it will sound lovely once completed!

Also I really dig your posters! 13th floor elevator and the Fink! Very 60s! Haha

I am very suprised as this guitar has become drastically louder over the past few days with routine playing and storing in a humidifier case. Im guessing it wasnt played much for a length of time. I have recently tuned it to A 415hz to relieve any unecesary stress due to its age. I have found it really likes this tuning and has taken on a "singing" quality.

5. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Most guitars like that tuning better, same with our fingers and voices. This one will be getting Martin silk and steels, La Bella ball end folk strings if it don't like the Martins. Definitely gonna watch that tension. If it just needed a bridge i would have it finished but the bridge plate inside needs replaced and that's a bit outta my realm.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  6. Maggot Brain

Yeah good point, I almost always tune my electrics to Eb also. I have been doing it for so long now standard 440 sounds too high. I really want to try some Aquila ambra nylgut, just to get it more historically correct. I have some genuine gut and wound silk strings but they are a little high in tension for my comfort. Currently has Ernie Ball "Ernesto Palla" nylon ball ends, I have some La Bella I am curious to try. The ernie balls have bronze wound strings, kinda like the folk ball ends, which I didnt intend to get but so far I am digging them.

I hope you get it up and playable, there is something magical about playing a piece of history.

Wildeman likes this.
  7. Maggot Brain

Started putting a proper finish on the neck and headstock.

Attached Files:

Wildeman likes this.