Van Halen 1 sound(first album) Favorite pickups

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by pittbull, Apr 2, 2020.

1. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

Maybe I'll have some sort of Plexi before I die. The closest I ever had was my old JMP in my avatar. Eddie was a big influence on me, striped my Gibson SG...LOL.

zachman likes this.
  2. zachman

zachman Well-Known Member

the '78 is great! ...and imo-- crushes the CC

3. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

78 is just a superb piece, knocks out a CC easy, for me it's so full and sweet, BUT in the context of my initial question, has anyone tried it??

zachman likes this.
  4. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

You frick'n bastards you!..

Just impulsively bought the Wampler Pinnacle after watching that video link on this thread and hearing it sound so got-dam ballz on like Eddie V himself were playing!.. Thanks a lot. No I really mean it,.. Thanks a lot! Once again in life I have been inspired! And I can actually really appreciate that.

Let's face it, Eddie is inspirational. And the 1st VH album was intensely inspirational to us guitar players back in the late 70's. It was a whole new sound, a whole new approach to playing guitar and a shot to the arm of Rockers listening around the globe!

And here we are 40+ years later, still chasing that tone for ourselves so we can reproduce & duplicate this powerful sound for ourselves!

And that my friends is nothing short of profound, & the more I contemplate it, quite supremely impressive!

Thanks again Ed!

5. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

I've never been a big specific tone chaser but having grown up in the VH era (like a lot of you) admit that tone was the first to burn itself into my brain (shortly followed by Yngwie's unique tone as well), so even to this day, it just feels like home even if I don't necessarily want that and prefer my own thing for my own music. It does make for a handy reference tone whenever I get my hands on a new amp, always seems like the first thing I do is try and dial in the early VH sound for shits and grins, not so much to see if the amp can/can't get there, but more because it sort of expedites the learning and feeling out process of the new toy with a very familiar tone as the guide. The irony is the two amps I ultimately settled on many years ago CANNOT do it lol (the SLO and the XTC). That said, here's a few of my clips from the amps that came pretty close...

dslman and crossroadsnyc like this.
  6. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

I have the SH-5 Custom in the mail, hoping it will be a bit more musical than the DD, which I still like, but just looking for something a little closer to the EVH lead tones, especially the high notes.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  7. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

AlNiCo 8 PAF into a medium-gain tube amp. Seriously.

8. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

I want a 5150 iii

Derek S likes this.
  9. Ed Hunter

Ed Hunter Well-Known Member

Actually it became the Custom (SH5) not the JB. The JB was made for Jeff beck.
    The Duncan Custom is what you want for the VH 1 tone

• [​IMG]
    • Originally seymour was selling these as the Van halen model but ed threatened to sue him so seymour stopped. as you can see in the ad above.
    • I have one of these early Customs and they are great!
    • [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    dslman likes this.
  10. Ed Hunter

Ed Hunter Well-Known Member

Nope, Elliot easton had JB's and 59's in his deans. The Custom was the result of eddie wanting a dimarzio super distortion type pickup with the look of a regular P.A.F. It is no secret Eddie used the super distortion in the club days right before the first record came out.. some say the first record is still a super d in the strat? could be?
    Years later when ed used the floyd this same pickup received a alnico II magnet to warm it up and tone down the highs and became the Custom-custom.

11. pittbull

pittbull Well-Known Member

Well Ed tell Seymour the info he gave me was wrong,ALSO Guitar player magazine made a mistake in that article about the Duncan custom and Eddie Van Halen, his name “Eddie customized pickup” should have been under the Duncan 59 not the Duncan custom it was a misprint.Eds pickup in the club days was mighty mite 1400(paf) also Gibson PAFs and stock Ibanez super 70s which was in his Ibanez destroyer.Wayne Charvel explained basically the samething that Eddie didn’t like the Dimarzio Super Distortion he lived PAFs. Did Eddie use try Dimarzio Super Distortion pickups yes, were they stock, no he put alnico 2 magnets in the dimarzio super distortion. Are pictures of Eddie with the super distortion, yes the only ones I’ve seen are the black/ yellow bumble bee strat and the white Gibson Les Paul custom which he took on the 78 tour

12. nickfox

nickfox Well-Known Member

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet. This isn't pickups. It's a Kemper Profile Pack called Top Jimi Brown Sound. Have a listen to Uncle Ben playing a bunch of songs off the first van halen album. It's pretty damn good... :)

n

dslman likes this.
  13. pittbull

I seen that before very nice,the pickups are PAF spec not high output pickups

nickfox likes this.
  14. pittbull

I wonder which reverb type is used on the Kemper VH 1 Brown Sound profile

15. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

The dedicated tube lover deep inside me just hates to admit that this gaddam Kemper sounds soo frikin ballz on delicious that I can't stand it!!!

What's next,.. high performance cars that don't need gas powered motors ??

16. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

Sounds like my TB-5 Custom that I have on its way...lol

nickfox likes this.
  17. pittbull

Gibson PAF spec low output pickup was used on that clip

18. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

To me , all of Eddie's older stuff sounds like it's a low output pickup, through a Plexi. I bet the George Lynch Duncan would sound pretty close also..can't remember the specs on it.

19. pittbull

The Duncan George Lynch screaming demon pickup 10k alnico 5 magnet

dslman likes this.
  20. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

Yes, I ran one for years in a 84 Kramer Pacer, through the rig in my avatar, they were a hard hitting combo.