ValveStorm JTM45 Combo build - need help choosing speakers

neikeel

Reaction score
I think that is a good call. The Alnico Golds needed pushing to break up smoothly by which time I was at half stack /Fender twin volumes. I have a modern GB in my 18w 1x12 and it is really nice (better than the Scumback H30 that was there - now perfectly at home in my Princeton 1x12 combo). Although my BB is 50w I am cool with two ‘20w’ speakers as the 20w is a marketing thing and they are really 35w speakers (early pvc 20w really are 20w only).
Look forward to your experience when you’ve broken them in.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
I just recently finished my ValveStorm JTM45 build. It turned out better than I had hoped and playing through a friend’s 1960A was awesome. The amp however is installed in a Mojotone 2x12 combo cab, which is huge. The only speakers I have lying around are a pair of Celestion Seventy 80’s, a pair of Eminence Texas Heats, and a couple of old Jensen alnicos. The Seventy 80’s are the only speakers that sound good in it, but I know I’m missing out on a lot of tone.

I’m going to buy a pair of Celestions from zZounds, as I can use their no interest payment plan. I’m completely tapped out after this build. So, I’m considering three different combinations of Celestions.

1: a G12M Greenback and a G12H Anniversary

2: a Creamback M65 and H75

3: a Creamback and a Ruby alnico

I’m worried about the tone of the first option as those are built in China. I am familiar with the M65 tone and really like it, and I’m definitely leaning in that direction. I suppose I could go with a pair of those, but I’ve read good things about the M65 and H75 pairing. The clips I’ve heard of the Ruby are incredible and the reviews are unanimously positive. I thought it might pair well with the H75 as that seems like it would be the best of both worlds.

I’m open to other options, so long as I can get it on the payment plan.
What old Jensen speakers do you have? Model and year?

What speakers were in the 1960A that was awesome?

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
What old Jensen speakers do you have? Model and year?

What speakers were in the 1960A that was awesome?

I’ll have to look and make sure brother. It’s a 1959 Bell & Howell branded speaker. Then there’s another I believe is from the ‘60s. I think the B&H is a P12N and the newer one is a P12R, but I’m not able to trust my memory very much lately. I’m not ready to be a grumpy old fart who tells the same stories over and over yet, dammit. :nuts:

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh, the cab was an older 1960A with G12T-75’s. Say what you will. I’ve always loved those cabs.

The amp scared me last night. I got my replacement KT66 yesterday and was trying to bias them up, but for every 1/4 turn of the bias pot, I was losing around 20V from the B+.

I was about ready to call it quits when I thought to try an old Matsushita rectifier tube, the only spare I had, but it’s made just like the Mullard GZ34. It instantly jumped up around 45 volts, and I was able to bias the tubes normally. I had called a friend and we were about ready to start pulling caps and resistors from the bias supply to see if there was something way out of spec.

So, hopefully this weekend I’ll be able to take it to a friend’s house to jam and maybe loosen those new speakers up a little.

Moral of the story: beware of newer GZ34 rectifier tubes with a brown base.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
You a grumpy old ratt, ah-ha-ha-ha. :D

I like some nice broken in G12T-75.

Those old AlNiCo speakers will not sound right if overdriven too much which happens easily.
I do not know if that is what you heard.

A good closed back cabinet to me will always sound better with a JMP45.

I am partial to AlNiCo speakers. Mine are in either closed back or convertible (usually closed) cabinets.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m liking what I hear from the Greenbacks in the combo cabinet. I haven’t gotten to really crank it up but the tone is there. Honestly I would think I was hearing a big closed back cab if I heard it blindfolded. That’s the biggest 2x12 combo I’ve ever seen.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
5qTo4xI.jpg

The left side has what I was told is water damage to the grill cloth. Idk about that. It’s still pretty to look at but man, the tone is where the magic is. I have considerably less money in this than I did in my first Marshall, which was a DSL50/1960A half stack. With this and my big Gibson GA77RVT 1x15” combo, I can cover a LOT of bases with just a handful of pedals.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Got the Greenbacks in last week and they sound damn good. I thought I was getting the Chinese speakers, but somehow I ended up with the Heritage G12M. Not bad at $125 a pop. I don’t think ZZounds knows what they are selling.

Do these have 20 watt rating on the sticker?

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
No, and upon further research this indeed the Classic series, now made in the UK. Looking up the part number printed on the box gave mixed results. I was also given misinformation by the customer service rep who said that this speaker would be made in China. Live and learn. I just saw UK on it and went a little crazy.

IOSEPHVS

Reaction score
On, February 18, I received an email response from Dr. Decibel stating that the Celestion G12 Anniversary speakers are built in the UK.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
No, and upon further research this indeed the Classic series, now made in the UK. Looking up the part number printed on the box gave mixed results. I was also given misinformation by the customer service rep who said that this speaker would be made in China. Live and learn. I just saw UK on it and went a little crazy.

Well that's a total win. You already like how they sound with the combo and they will only get better, they didn't cost you that much, and they are made UK.

neikeel

Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised how good the Heritages went with my 68 BB so I think you made a great score there. I do have some later prerolas for the BB, but they are in my 18w 2x12 combo, and I will be looking out for some more contemporaneous speakers for the BB.

AustinPaul

Reaction score
I just recently finished my ValveStorm JTM45 build. It turned out better than I had hoped and playing through a friend’s 1960A was awesome. The amp however is installed in a Mojotone 2x12 combo cab, which is huge. The only speakers I have lying around are a pair of Celestion Seventy 80’s, a pair of Eminence Texas Heats, and a couple of old Jensen alnicos. The Seventy 80’s are the only speakers that sound good in it, but I know I’m missing out on a lot of tone.

I’m going to buy a pair of Celestions from zZounds, as I can use their no interest payment plan. I’m completely tapped out after this build. So, I’m considering three different combinations of Celestions.

I’m worried about the tone of the first option as those are built in China. I am familiar with the M65 tone and really like it, and I’m definitely leaning in that direction. I suppose I could go with a pair of those, but I’ve read good things about the M65 and H75 pairing. The clips I’ve heard of the Ruby are incredible and the reviews are unanimously positive. I thought it might pair well with the H75 as that seems like it would be the best of both worlds.

Greenbacks are the obvious choice, but it depends on the wattage of your JTM. I think some folks who are shouting GBs are overlooking that you're talking about 2 speakers and not 4 speakers. Thus, you only have 50w of power handling. Me, I want more room and do everything I can to avoid flubbiness in my speakers.

Heck I just put together a 4x12 with Hellatone 30s. They're simply broken-in Celestion G12H30s that are made in England and are $99. Check them out at Avatar. Heck, Dave will even talk with you about getting you what you want. I intended to get greenbacks, but went with Dave's 30s after discussing it with him.

EDIT: Forgot to add, that my 4x12 with those 30s (I've had two previously; a 70s MusicMan and a Marshall 800 series <75Ts>) is far and away the best tone I've ever had. That also includes my 2x12s, 4x10, and 1x12s.

Almost forgot about the other 2x12s I had. Two sets of the Marshall Origin 2x12 verticals w. 70/80s. No thank you very much.

I've got a 100w Mesa Lonestar that I wanted to be able run into the 4x12 and didn't want to push it on the power handling.

Just try to think ahead - you may want to use that cab (even if it's a combo) with another more powerful amp down the line.?? Just something to consider.

Last edited:

neikeel

Reaction score
It's a JTM45 in a combo. The JTM45 with tube rectifier and KT66s will only put out 35w. The new GBs will easily cope with 30w a piece so I think that he is safe, even assuming that it gets cranked and hit with a fuzz.
I would not be so confident with a ss rectified JMP50 tho. They were sold with a pair of G12H30s in combos which is pretty close to the limit (some might say over!).

yladrd61

Reaction score
It's a JTM45 in a combo. The JTM45 with tube rectifier and KT66s will only put out 35w. The new GBs will easily cope with 30w a piece so I think that he is safe, even assuming that it gets cranked and hit with a fuzz.
I would not be so confident with a ss rectified JMP50 tho. They were sold with a pair of G12H30s in combos which is pretty close to the limit (some might say over!).
I have a Ceriatone JMP '69 1987 combo with a pair of Greenbacks. If I am going to crank it I knock it down a few clicks with an attenuator, or plug it into a 4 x 12.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of G12T-75’s, and a Scumback M75LHDC a few weeks ago. I know the G12T-75 is kind of a whipping boy around here, but I love them, especially when they are well broken in.

We had an amp shootout at a friend’s house the other day. I was using one T-75 and the Scumback in the JTM45 combo. Another friend brought his JCM900 MKIII head. Dude has a room in his basement that is lined with 412 cabs and heads. Dual Rec, JCM800ZW, JCM2000 DSL50, Boogie Mk III and John Petrucci heads.

I dimed the JTM45 first, and it was incredible. All the stuff you hear about them was in that tone. Dude had cabs with Greenbacks, V30’s, Black Shadow, and Sheffields. My amp blew them all away. I even plugged the JCM900 Mk III into my cab and it sounded better through it too.

So, it’s a rather unconventional setup, but it really works for me. I will not be putting the Greenbacks back in.

Spooky88

Reaction score
My 2 ¢
For open back combo cabs I use the H75s. I’ve had the 70/80 in a dsl40 and replaced it with an h75 and as I’ve been playing in higher volume situations recently with my JCM900 4502, I swapped out my t75 for h75 as well. Keep in mind I use active pickups so they put out more grunt. I like the lower end of the h75. I am building a closed 2x12 for the t75 as they’re still solid speakers after 30 years. Good luck!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

I'd get a pair of creamback 65's. I paired a 65 and a 75 and didnt like it, the creamback 75 was too boomy so I bought a 2nd 65.

Latest posts