Valvestate 10 (8010) Opinions?

colchar

Reaction score
Does anyone here have any experience with the Marshall Valvestate 10 amps? If so, what are your opinions of them? And does anyone have a guesstimate of what a good condition used one should sell for?

Thanks in advance.

LJGriggs

Reaction score
I'm really not familiar with the 8010 (I do have an AVT100), but it really depends on what you want to do with the amp. From what I can find, the 8010 is totally solid state (no valve preamp). At 10 watts, a solid state amp is basically only usable for practicing in your bedroom. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for one (and probably not that much). You can get a good used AVT50 for somewhere around $200 on ebay if you are patient. That would be a better "investment". But, it really depends on what type of sound you are looking for...

Hudspeth

Reaction score
They are not very expensive you either love them or hate them. I think dust in the pots are a problem with the two IC's . When the pots get dusty it effects the circuit operation and overloads IC1. If you can find a clean used one the IC 1 can be had for about $1.30 US. the other IC2 about $2.30 US. For a Screaming little amp none better. I would replace all of the pots with quality heavy duty sealed ones. Look at all of the electrolytic caps for swelling on the ends, replace if necessary.
The little amp with a big voice can be put back like new under $15 bucks.

Sitting in a closet unused makes them sad. (dirty pots) corrosion inside blows the ICs and fuses. Repairs are as above.

Play on!

colchar

Reaction score
I can't remember what I did yesterday, much less what happened that long ago. I have owned a couple of Valvestates, but can't remember when.

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
Thread I command you to

wise.jpg