V30 vs Creamback

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by John DiPietro, Oct 3, 2020.

1. John DiPietro

John DiPietro New Member

I'm trying to decide between the two for either a 1x12 or 2x12 cabinet. I play mostly Classic Rock to a little harder. I've listened to many of the comparisons posted and at least to my ears, it almost sounds like the same difference you get between a bridge and neck pickup, with the V30 leaning more towards the bridge. I listed the 2x12 because if I couldn't decide I was thinking about selecting a cab that has both. Any thoughts?

2. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

Hard to go terribly wrong w either, but I'd have to say Creambacks. I've been swapping different speakers w different heads and combos and I havent been able to get a bad sound out of my Creambacks yet, which i can't say for some of the others, ie Eminence (which are decent) and WGS et65 (which I'm probably going to unload.) I'll never let my 2x12 cab w Vintage 30's go. It's like I have that Vintage 30 angle covered, and don't have to worry about it anymore.

3. Musicmaniac

Musicmaniac Well-Known Member

I've never had a cream back but do have a 2x12 with V30's. I play classic/hard rock/metal too and they fit the bill for me.

Headache likes this.
  4. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Which Creamback have you been listening to? The 65w medium magnet, or the 75w heavy magnet? Or both?

You should also take into consideration the wattage of the amp(s) you'll be playing through.

5. John DiPietro

John DiPietro New Member

Thank you for your comments. For me, this would only be in my home studio, and I would never have to go beyond a few watts. I enjoy playing with the lower watt setting and getting that full sound as if she's cranked up. I'm concerned about the 212 being a little too loud but don't want to sacrifice on the quality of the sound. Thanks

6. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

These threads are tough because you are going to get biased feedback. Let me get my biases out in the air so you know where I come from. I currently have Marshall Vintage loaded in a 2x12 and a 1x12. I have owned Mesa cabinets loaded with V30's and an Avatar cab loaded with 2 Mode Four (fabulous by the way when mixed with other speakers) V30's. So I have some experience with V30's and for a time they were my preferred speaker.

I loaded a cab with a quad of G12EVH's and found the tone in my head! I bought a Creamback to load in a 1x12 because I wanted a higher powered "greenback." I wanted to love it but no matter what I did I could not break the Creamback in. It sounded great clean but over driven tone it had a harshness (greenbacks have a smoother rounded edge to my ears) that never went away and was not pleasing to my ear. It has been in the box for quite sometime and I wrestle with selling it!

I prefer V30's for more modern music, specifically 90's alternative and downtuned metal. IMO they sound OK for classic rock and blues but are better for bands known to use 75hz G12H greenbacks. I am glad I still have them.

On a side note. The Splawn Small Block is a high powered "greenback" that sounds like a "greenback" to my ear. Scumback M-series are good too.

junk notes likes this.
  7. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

That is a good assessment. Although, it only takes one mic to record, some speakers need to move air to physically sound good, and that would mean playing at high volumes.. (I like that!)

Trelwheen likes this.
  8. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

Creamback 65 or neo if your just playing the amp as is. Vintage 30 if you mic for live or recording.

9. EL 34

EL 34 Well-Known Member

V30 vs creamback 75

The creamback has some rich mids whereas the v30 EQ is more neutral.

As far as which creamback is better, 65 vs 75, it's clear to me the 75 is better

The vintage and creamback 75 share the same awesome H magnet.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    Trelwheen likes this.
  10. Robus

Robus Well-Known Member

If you are playing at bedroom levels you won't get the best sound out of either. A 2x12 just makes the situation worse.

11. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

While these comparisons help a bit, a person really has to know what they are listening for in order to anticipating how those speakers in those cabs might translate in an unknown cab with some other amp as with the op. By the time you can make an experienced guess, you’ve likely already tried all the amp /cabs /speaker combos.

12. EL 34

EL 34 Well-Known Member

The video you quoted is actually the reason why I plan to buy creamback 75s. A used ply 1936 fitted with them. The video was good enough for me to know, directionally, how the speaker sounds.

Feel free to make constructive, helpful posts though.

tce63 likes this.
  13. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

It wasn’t meant to be negative, I used to design speakers and this this is just my experience watching how folks use these great videos to determine which speaker they like.. in another cab, with another amp, recorded well or not so well with different mic’s. Just watch out for these differences is all I’m trying to say.

14. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

The 75 is like a wider frequency band vintage 30. Problem is more frequency extension is perceived to sound better because it fills out the spectrum when comparing one to another but then it usually has the opposite effect when trying to mix in naturally with other instruments. Great speaker pairing if your amp lacks low end and sounds like it has a blanket on it. I kind of find it to be a nails on the chalkboard experience when powered by some good old Marshall twang.. specially as you bring on the gain.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    Kinkless Tetrode likes this.
  15. John DiPietro

John DiPietro New Member

Thanks for all your responses. If it helps, I'm looking at a Victory V212 Cab with either 2 V30's or a V30 + Creamback.

16. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

I would always recommend a 2x12 over a 1x12 (even two 1x12s). Any perceived difference in volume is insignificant but the sound and the tone will be bigger and less boxy. Over sized 1x12s are not as affected, but then they are getting so big and heavy that you might as well just go 2x12, or even 4x12, anyway.

In terms of combo amps, however, a 2x12 combo is always a beast in terms of size and weight. Think Twin Reverb.

It also depends on what amp as far as what speakers in my experience. The V30 is my preferred speaker for most amps, but Greenback voiced speakers do sound good with four input Marshalls and 2204s.

A 2x12 with a V30 and a G12H30 voiced speaker is a popular mix. The 75 watt Cream back is a speaker voiced similar to the G12H30.

If your concerned about volume levels then M magnet speakers won't be as loud. If your amp has a good master volume then the speaker efficiency becomes a minor factor. I generally like M magnet speakers better in a closed back configuration. Open backed cabs benefit from H magnets speakers in terms of keeping the bottom end tight.

Mystic38 likes this.
  17. Mystic38

Mystic38 Well-Known Member

^this..212 configuration all the way

Kinkless Tetrode likes this.
  18. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I prefer the Creambacks for the most part, but if I was gigging I’d probably use V30s.

tce63 likes this.
  19. lonewolfsx

lonewolfsx Active Member

I have both of these speakers and they sound really different to me, at least the G12M65 I have does.

The Victory 2x12 looks like it has the same creamback I'm talking about.
    The Creamback here has the M magnet, and the 75hz lead cones
    V30's have an H magent and 55hz cones

So they probably compliment well. I found the creamback to be a little too bright and edgy, not like a real greenback which is what I was expecting more for classic sounds. The V30 has way deeper bass so if you do any kind of drop D or downtuned anything the V30 fills out a lot nicer in my opinion.

I say get both in the 2x12 and wire them to separate speaker jacks. Then use each individually, or both together. Your amp has to speaker jacks, may as well use them.

20. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I just put together another 2-12” cab last night with a V30 & 75w CB. It’s my favorite mix and now I’ll have 2 cabs set up like this. I put the V30 on the right in this cab so if I use both I will have a X pattern with 2 V30’s & 2 75w CB’s. I also planned it so all my cabs are 16 ohm now, no more resetting for different cabs. Once broken in this is my go to setup and works great for everything I play.

lonewolfsx likes this.