Using MXR Univibe to Boost 2203 Amp

Frank52387

Reaction score
Hey,

i know I don’t post on here hardly but I’ve made a discovery that sounds amazing.

i have been recording some music and trying to to nail that “tone”. I have a les Paul into a marshall jcm 800 2203 and I’ve been using that Bugera power soaker attenuator.

I’ve been trying various different tone settings and messing with a tubescreamer, or the Schaffer replica pedal to get that little bit of boost.

Accidentally I hit the Vibe button on my MXR univibe pedal and it kind of removed the effect but just boosted the signal.

i dialed back the speed and depth to 0 and just used the Level knob to add some compression or gain or whatever it is.

This effect has made my tone sound amazing, just adds depth and some grunt while maintaining articulation. If you have one of these pedals I recommend trying it. If you know anything about what is going on, please fill me in.

El Gringo

Reaction score
Any time I have ever used any type of vibe pedal it is instantly a tone drain and it just kills it for me and thus collects dust . The endless chase for a Leslie type vibe pedal that does not suck tone .

Frank52387

Reaction score
Any time I have ever used any type of vibe pedal it is instantly a tone drain and it just kills it for me and thus collects dust . The endless chase for a Leslie type vibe pedal that does not suck tone .

I use it here and there for the intended effect but now with this slight boost, I’m enjoying it.

And I’ll get you a clip of my playing as soon as I can, hopefully tomorrow.

TheToneDig

Reaction score
The thing about tone suck with classic pedals is using them for other jobs outside of the chain where the tone suck is part of the end result. Once you move them around for different songs and tones, the tone suck can make your tone disappear down a black hole with all the world's accumulated lost guitar picks. However in the right place and the device will give you tone rather than subtract from it. Echoplex colors the tone for example in a way that makes some people just want that pre-amp section and not the delay. Vox wah pedals are known to suck tone but by gosh Hendrix makes them sound like nothing else.

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome dude, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the final result with the other guitarist and a final mix.

El Gringo

Reaction score
Here’s one of the recordings I was working on, still needs vocals, the other guitarist, mixing ect.

I’m also going to redo my solo at the end lol but this should give you an idea

Love your tone and playing . Sounds nice and thick and juicy just the way I like it . Really the thickness shows how knarly in the best way your tone is . Rock on Man :headbanger:

Frank52387

Reaction score
Thank you, there were just some ideas I wanted to get in and I missed by just improvising.

Ramhead

Reaction score
Probably something like Cancel mode on original Univibe.

DaDoc

Reaction score
Hey,

i know I don’t post on here hardly but I’ve made a discovery that sounds amazing.

i have been recording some music and trying to to nail that “tone”. I have a les Paul into a marshall jcm 800 2203 and I’ve been using that Bugera power soaker attenuator.

I’ve been trying various different tone settings and messing with a tubescreamer, or the Schaffer replica pedal to get that little bit of boost.

Accidentally I hit the Vibe button on my MXR univibe pedal and it kind of removed the effect but just boosted the signal.

i dialed back the speed and depth to 0 and just used the Level knob to add some compression or gain or whatever it is.

This effect has made my tone sound amazing, just adds depth and some grunt while maintaining articulation. If you have one of these pedals I recommend trying it. If you know anything about what is going on, please fill me in.

That's most cool, thanks for sharing it! :cool:

junk notes

Reaction score
That is very nice. I use the Hughes and Kettner Rotosphere to get those results. I think I will look into this pedal, thanks. :yesway:

Latest posts