Upgrade to new DSL40 from older DSL40c?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by cowbellfever, Jan 22, 2021.

1. cowbellfever

cowbellfever New Member

Hi all - long time forum reader and first-time poster. Lots of informed people here!
    I see many DSL40c threads that focus on speaker upgrade, tube changes and capacitor mods.

In the 2000's I gigged with a Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 and 1936 2x12 - loved the sound but the amp was loud and took up lots of room on smaller stages. Still have it.
    Around 2015 I picked up a Marshall DSL40c - a great combo amp that became my main gigging amp, but it did have some flaws I had to overcome.
    1. Upgraded the weak stock speaker from the Celestion Seventy 80 to a Vintage 30.
    2. Added a Boss GE7 EQ pedal to my board to engage when switch to CH2 Ultra Gain Lead1 to align with CH1 Crunch EQ voicing.
    3. I bought a Hughes & Kettner Redbox5 DI to send my amp live sound to the FoH mixer.
    4. My DSL40c has an issue of sound cutting out randomly which requires a power cycle to fix, it happens rarely but it is there. A full tube upgrade and bias did not resolve, I read elsewhere this is due to an known IC flaw on the PCB board.

Question - after all the above changes and updates I did would upgrading to the newer DSL40 model be worth it?
    I can't rent or easily test one locally due to covid store closures. I found one locally for a good price.
    I researched that Marshall did resolve most issues with the newer model:
    - Better stock Celestion V type speaker.
    - Better voiced shared EQ between CH1 and CH2.
    - Added an Emulated line-level output with Softube-designed studio cabinet emulation for F0H mixer
    - Ability to use the amp silently.

I do gig about 3 times a month (during non-covid times) so I want to make an informed choice that will benefit me.
    Thanks for all your wisdom.

2. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum. The other guitarist in my band uses the 40CR, and it has been great. He uses the 6 button footswitch that allows him to switch between modes for each channel. The only issue he had was that sometimes the 6 button footswitch would cease working. Replacing the stock instrument cable with a stereo instrument cable resolved the issue. I don't know if the newer ones still have the issue, but there is an easy fix.

As for whether it's worth upgrading, I personally would never gig with an amp that randomly cuts out, so yes, I would definitely replace that amp with the newer 40CR or something else. Tonally, I've briefly had the older 40C and the newer 40CR, and I frankly did not notice a significant tonal difference between the two that can't be attributed to the quality of the speaker. I do believe the 40CR is better, especially for a gigging musician, because it has multiple modes within each channel that is footswitchable and has a second master volume.

I'm sure others with more knowledge and experience will chime in.

3. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

:welcome:
    Welcome to (posting on) the forum.
    Upgrading seems logical with an unreliable amp.
    If you still have the Seventy-80, swap it back and keep the Vintage30 if you are unloading the old 40C.

4. cowbellfever

cowbellfever New Member

5. cowbellfever

cowbellfever New Member

I got the newer DSL40 it is a 2018 model last Saturday
    The seller claimed it was not used too often - only a handful of times.
    I've played it for over 2 - 3 hours and compared it to my older DSL40C.
    I put JJ tubes in today and did a V30 speaker install.
    The new DSL40 both channels seem hotter - volume and gain wise.
    The DSL40 Celestion V Type speaker has more lower-end bass thump compared to my V30 - I swapped the speaker to confirm and its true.
    The DSL40 amp has a different EQ curve compared to the older DSL40C - I am still getting used to it and trying to dial it in - I feel like there is a lot higher end frequencies this amp puts out - the extra gain could be a factor.
    While playing the new DSL40 I also noticed there may be a footswitch issue, when trying to turn the effects loop on/off using the Factory footswitch, it turns off and unless you remove the FS jack it won't turn on again - need more time to test this.

So far I like the extra features but prefer the sound of my older DSL40C amp - but will keep trying to dial it in and see.
    Any one prefer the older DSL40c after buying the newer DSL40?

6. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard new MF’r!!

I had the 40C and it would cut out just like yours, I posted here many times a out it. I finally got it fixed a real pain in the ass. Yes, its the chip that controls the relays. I would either get it fixed, dump it, trade it what ever and get the new one.

7. wolfpack

wolfpack Active Member

I've had both & kept the older model 40C over the newer 40CR.
    The only mods are tube changes, and it's never had any issues.
    Also, I converted it to a head and use a Bogner 2x12 cab.
    My observations:
    Tone & Feel - Older 40C
    Versatility with footswitch - Newer 40CR

8. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Welcome to the forum
    I have the older 40C,
    I have only briefly played the newer version, but I did not upgrade to it, my only mods so far have been tubes, to lower the gain, I play with the gain of early Priest, UFO, Scorps, Thin Lizzy, and where I am at , I prefer the C to the CR, oh and I still rock the shitty 70/80.
    Cheers to fixing your old one, or dialing in the new one.

Mitch

9. cowbellfever

cowbellfever New Member

Thanks for posting.
    Did you deal with Marshall Support to fix the Chip issue? Did the repair cost you a lot out of pocket?
    I have a RMA open with a repair center here in Canada, but they want me to ship it to them (expense out of my pocket) to another province and I cover all repair expenses they deem out of warranty - its a 2015 amp so I know it's out of factory warranty, but the Chip issue sounds like a known part failure bug/issue.

10. J.LaGrassa

J.LaGrassa Well-Known Member

I've had the DSL40C a few years ago and really enjoyed the amp and actually my favorite speaker with it was the V-Type back then, only got rid of it to try other gear. I just picked up the DSL40CR and really liking what I hear, nice low end and a tad warmer top end than the 40C plus all the newer features made it a no brainer for me. I'd say go for the new one!!

11. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Cost me nothing, it was under warranty and my Tech did the work, he actually found the issue.

cowbellfever likes this.