UPDATE: reveal posted! JCM 800 Studio (vs Kemper vs Helix vs Axe Fx III)

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Guitarjon, Jan 13, 2021.

1. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

That is pretty much the 'nutshell'.
    This only happens when breaking a volume level threshold. To understand this, the kempers' function is to replicate the peaks and valleys of the input signal.
    Almost always telling the kemper sounds like it seemingly accentuates bass frequencies. Similar to a 'Loudness' button on an older or vintage stereo receiver.

2. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Question: How is Marshall handling repairs around the world on the Studio Series with a 'known" schematics given to an authorized service center?

The thread is suggesting JCM. We are ALL under Marshall's impression that the circuit is a 2203/4 with a dual voltage transformer at 5/20 volts. No year was said as well.

Old Punker and Jethro Rocker like this.
  3. dro

dro Well-Known Member

I think what V-man was saying is that the SC 20, Though it does sound pretty good. Is not, and does not sound like an original Jcm800 2203, or even a 2204. To this I agree. I wouldn't listen to a comparison unless I was in the room. Too many variables.

P.S. Don't do digital.

Ok curiosity got the best of me.
    To be brutally honest (which is why people call me an Asshole)
    If I had an amp that sounded like any of these clips. I'd take it to the shop and get it fixed.
    Sorry, cantankerous old farts opinion.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    nkd and V-man like this.
  4. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

Bingo. Just bc it is not a “real” 800 and a tribute amp doesn’t mean it’s not a home run for Marshall nor does it mean it doesn’t have potential for great and useful tones. An Origin sure as hell ain’t a JTM/JMP, but for the price point and features, it looks very tempting... to a guy who already owns a 1959.

5. Marshall50w

Marshall50w Active Member

Thanks Guitarjon for taking the time to do the video. My takeaway is that the sound clips sound very similar and digital is able to capture very life like amp tones in these videos.

rick16v, Maggot Brain and Guitarjon like this.
  6. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

we’re crusty bastards here.

this ‘may’ go to the “not an 800” point if the EQ responds differently (I never played a SC). EQ seems pretty standard, but most roll the Presence to 4 ot below. It could be 800-voiced or even brighter/more sensitive EQ.

Was everything done through IRs like some suggested?

Guitarjon likes this.
  7. Mystic38

Mystic38 Well-Known Member

Not to toss another grenade into the dumpster, but none of them sound like a JCM800.. They all may or may not sound like a JCM800 through some speaker with a mic or two..

For me, unless its in the room, I can't tell what a JCM800 sounds like as I don't spend my time listening to mics..

So that being said, play what you want how you want, and its all about how you personally like it then how the sound fits the song and the mix.

8. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Oh,..ok, yeah,...I see now,....you’re right! :rolleyes: :rofl:

Mark Collier and Old Punker like this.
  9. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

https://guitar.com/review/amplifier/marshall-studio-series-sv20h-sc20c/

Interestingly enough, this review highlights the issue we’re hearing... as well the unlikely use in the manner that the OP set it.

10. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Well-Known Member

People have different tastes and preferences though. In a mix it will also sound different, as you will be able to hear in the reveal. With these tests we're all listening super closely to the isolated guitars which is a different experience than listening to the guitars in a mix.

11. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

Once the bass kicks in it will likely sound fine. Some people cant get over themselves and the sand in their nether regions long enough to think about studio EQing and fitting in the pocket. Thinking like that is how we got Metallicas And Justice for All.

12. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

+ 1, the IR recordings all sound the same, and not very realistic (IMO). Yes, they're convenient, but depending on the IR and user, they can sound very artificial. At that point, with an IR basically being a software algorithm, you're really just judging the IR, not the amp/modeler...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    Old Punker likes this.
  13. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

It’s about time the Hijack train pulled into the thread today.

AJFA with no bass and a spotlight on Lars’ shitty drumming still > anything they ever did again, regardless of how good the mix was. :thumbs:

Guitarjon likes this.
  14. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

yep, was all downhill after Cliff died. I think he kept their egos in check.

15. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

X 1,000

he never led the band, but he was the final word. When he said “no” that was that. He wore dark blue bell bottoms w zero fucks in a ripped acid wash world. NFW he would have gone on board with a Bob Rock sellout project.

Now James is throwing the band under the bus with Load being a Lars/Kirk direction he “just went along with.” If that were even remotely the case, you think that would have flown with Cliff in the band?

16. FleshOnGear

FleshOnGear Well-Known Member

I guess B

Guitarjon likes this.
  17. Seventh Son

Seventh Son Well-Known Member

A, C, and D sound almost identical. B has more bass than the other three. C sounds a little hard in the midrange. D is the SC20?

Guitarjon likes this.
  18. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Well-Known Member

Thanks for joining in! I will post the results/reveal in a couple of days. Stay tuned!

19. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

For what its worth I guessed D as the marshall. My phone speakers aren't ideal for this test.

20. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

IMHO this video does a much better job with the Studio SC20H than the OP's video (no offence).

Seriously guys, don't you think the Studio does pretty well here against the 2204? With a little EQ / MV adjustment would be tougher to tell them apart.

BTW - my SC20H does not sound anything like A, B, C, or D in the OP's post.

In the end I just really like my Studio Classic for what it is - a good sounding Marshall amp that covers all the Marshall tones that I personally want.

If some folks believe the people over at Marshall got confused and accidentally mislabeled it, well it is their company and they can call it whatever they like. Maybe the guys over at GM got confused too when they called their more recent Chevy muscle car 'Camaro'. :rolleyes: