UPDATE: results revealed! Marshall JCM 800 SC20H vs BluGuitar Amp1 BLIND TEST!

Crikey

Reaction score
Jon, it’s not only the tone that differs from ss and tube amps, it’s the feel of the strings under your fingers, and the response you feel, and other things too.

Also for me, and this is just for me, I’m old fashioned, I grew up with tube amps, Marshall tube amps, they are imbedded in my guitar playing life forever

I like seeing The Marshall name and the Marshall look, not a blue tissue box looking ss amp that sounds like a Marshall.

So even if the blue ss amp sounded better I would not be interested in it. Anyone can say whatever they like about that, I don’t care, as I said, this is me.
Yep. Agree. Seen quite a few kempers for sale in my area….
Not against technology but there are dynamics influenced by all sorts of human touch, intensity that the analog favors. Imo

Moony

Reaction score
I don't find the Kempers pretty either.
They look like a device that you can use to have your internal organs examined in a hospital. :ugh:

Moony

Reaction score
@Guitarjon

There's a guy on a German forum who contacted Thomas Blug and he said that he would probably show the AmpX in autumn this year to the audience.
First units hopefully would be available end of this year then.
There's also a post on FB that confirms that.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
By the way, the BluGuitar is an ANALOG amp. No digital, no modeling. For those that really hate digital.
The single tube does not make it a true tube amp but maybe that it is analog makes it sound closer to a tube amp.

Moony

Reaction score
@Guitarjon and all others who like the Amp1

Seems Thomas Blug managed to get it ready for NAMM - here's the official AmpX preview show:

:)

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
@Guitarjon and all others who like the Amp1

Seems Thomas Blug managed to get it ready for NAMM - here's the official AmpX preview show:

:)

Seems really cool! I wanted something really small so the Iridium works for me quite well!
Butbthat is a good idea right there. Like the HnK Spirit 200 floor amp.

Moony

Reaction score
I wanted something really small so the Iridium works for me quite well!

I'm sure that you're not the only one.
But there will certainly be some guys who are switching from the Amp1 to the AmpX.
It's probably a good time then to look for used Amp1s if someone wants to buy that one.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I'm sure that you're not the only one.
But there will certainly be some guys who are switching from the Amp1 to the AmpX.
It's probably a good time then to look for used Amp1s if someone wants to buy that one.
No effects needed with Amp X. It is very appealing.
I tried the HnK floor but I would likely use it in smaller venues and it becomes bigger than I would like. Once I get to larger pedal board I can use a larger amp.
Always use a cab.

saxon68

VIP in training. J/K
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I’m in. Ordered the iridium.

Between John and Euge’s videos, I’m sold. Poor Euge looked like someone pulled something over his eyes, he had to double check that he didn’t mix up cables or something, he said Blug is a genius, he got the JCM800 badboy captured in “this …. Thing”

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Ok I’m in. Ordered the iridium.

Between John and Euge’s videos, I’m sold. Poor Euge looked like someone pulled something over his eyes, he had to double check that he didn’t mix up cables or something, he said Blug is a genius, he got the JCM800 badboy captured in “this …. Thing”
I really like mine. After more gain sounds though. You should like it.

saxon68

VIP in training. J/K
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like mine. After more gain sounds though. You should like it.
Yeah I’m a JVM-OD1 / 5150III - blue channel kinda guy, I do find that I’m using less gain and more “oomph” in the attack which sounds like I’ve got more gain than I actually use, if that makes sense haha.

I’ve got modelers also, (Helix Floor and Fractal FM3) so whatever tool works is good for me. I like simple, if this gets me where I want to be then I’ll likely use it most of the time, I’ll search for a decent vertical cab at some point to make the gear schlepping at gigs easier.

saxon68

VIP in training. J/K
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the things that bugs me about the BluGuitar Amp 1 is the marketing. Amp 1 is such an uninspired name that also makes it sound cheap, kind of like Line 6. It sounds like something that is destined to go straight from initial introduction to the graveyard of junk on Craigslist. Also, the whole blue theme is very European, like the design of the H&K Tubemeister, for example. I get that the modern look with blue disco lighting is popular in Western Europe, but that design won't necessarily appeal to all Americans, which is a huge market. Again, whoever made the marketing decisions on this failed to take those cultural differences into account.
They’re German, they don’t care what you think. The engineering is superior, visuals are not important. Look at Kemper. I had a Kemper stage, great sound, horrible interface, not the best visual. I went back to Helix floor because it was easier for me to setup sounds, add effects, etc.

I do like options though, so I’ve got Helix Floor, Fractal FM3, Bluguitar Iridium, JVM410H half stack, and SC20H on its way here. If the SC20H sounds as I expect it will, I’ll likely sell the JVM, unless I decide to keep it just for looks. Looks do matter, but at 54 and still gigging I’m not as likely to want to drag a 50+ pound head to a gig.

As many times as I’ve said I don’t want to drag the 4x12 out, I still like the sound / feel / look of it. I may get the matching 2x12 for the SC20H though :)