UK vs USA Marshall prices , WTF!!!

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
There is one thing you guys can do with thomann if the site says they aren’t allowed to ship a product to your country, for example I wanted to get a evh 5150 guitar that they said wouldn’t ship to my country, so I placed a manual order where basically you directly talk to a rep and they place the order on your behalf. You lose manufacturer warranty I believe but you have thomann warranty.
Excellent suggestion , although this thread is maybe going over well trod ground sdn25’s suggestion may save someone a lot of money if they do as he’s done with Thomann . Any of you in the states for example that are considering getting a 1959 hw should really jump on it , half the price guys !

Moony

Reaction score
Excellent suggestion , although this thread is maybe going over well trod ground sdn25’s suggestion may save someone a lot of money if they do as he’s done with Thomann . Any of you in the states for example that are considering getting a 1959 hw should really jump on it , half the price guys !

Hard to believe that the biggest seller in EU does such things when Marshall says they are not allowed to.
If it was a small shop, I wouldn't be surprised, but Thomann?
That's really strange.
Maybe it's worth a try then.

playloud

Reaction score
Hard to believe that the biggest seller in EU does such things when Marshall says they are not allowed to.
If it was a small shop, I wouldn't be surprised, but Thomann?
That's really strange.
Maybe it's worth a try then.

Oh, I don't know. Many of these geographic exclusivity (i.e. exclusion) agreements are on thin ice, legally speaking. The only significant repercussion they are likely to face is the manufacturer cutting off their supply, and the larger the retailer, the more leverage they have (would Marshall really want to cut off Thomann??)

For what it's worth, I've also found Guitar Center perfectly willing to ignore geographic restrictions over the phone. Which is as you'd expect...

I bought my 2203 half-stack brand new in 1986 from Guitar Center for $1000, about the same price as a new Gibson LP at the time. That’s less than what they charge for a new 1936 2x12 cab today.

This is an interesting example (think you might have mentioned it before?)

Adjusted for inflation, $1000 in 1986 is like $2667 today.

But in the US today, that setup is going to set you back close to $5k!

Whereas if you order from Europe, it's only ~$2300 - shipping included. It's actually got cheaper since '86.

So I think it's fair to ask: why the divergence? Ironically, it seems like the Rose-Morris situation all over again.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
Oh, I don't know. Many of these geographic exclusivity (i.e. exclusion) agreements are on thin ice, legally speaking. The only significant repercussion they are likely to face is the manufacturer cutting off their supply, and the larger the retailer, the more leverage they have (would Marshall really want to cut off Thomann??)

For what it's worth, I've also found Guitar Center perfectly willing to ignore geographic restrictions over the phone. Which is as you'd expect...

This is an interesting example (think you might have mentioned it before?)

Adjusted for inflation, $1000 in 1986 is like $2667 today.

But in the US today, that setup is going to set you back close to $5k!

Whereas if you order from Europe, it's only ~$2300 - shipping included. It's actually got cheaper since '86.

So I think it's fair to ask: why the divergence? Ironically, it seems like the Rose-Morris situation all over again.
Yes, adjusted for inflation it is similar. It just that those old prices seem so affordable now.

playloud

Reaction score
Certainly not! I've thought about that too.
But I guess other Marshall retailers would be very p*ssed if they found out about it.

Depends how many people are actually willing to take Thomann up on it.

There have been several threads here in the last few months, where a US-based user says "prices are so expensive here!", is pointed to alternatives in Europe, but is ultimately persuaded not to go down that route. In my opinion, the objections are usually overblown (the price gap is usually more than sufficient to justify any additional risk), but that's their prerogative.

And remember: most Marshall users aren't on here, or even scouring websites in other countries for deals.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
I went to Thomann last week, put a cab in the cart and was told that they won’t ship to the USA.

Actually tried every link that came up under German music stores. No luck there or in England.

Moony

Reaction score
There have been several threads here in the last few months, where a US-based user says "prices are so expensive here!"

I saw that and commented on these threads too.
I know that the EU and UK retailers are not allowed to ship Marshall amps to the US.
If you go eg on the Gear4Music website and click on Marshall products it says "This product is currently unavailable for delivery to your country"

So that was really surprising to hear that Thomann does ship to the US if you ask them to do.
As I've said - if that's true it's certainly worth a try!

playloud

Reaction score
I went to Thomann last week, put a cab in the cart and was told that they won’t ship to the USA.

Actually tried every link that came up under German music stores. No luck there or in England.

Did you try Music Store? I got as far as the payment step when I did a trial run with a 1960AHW cab, which seems promising (used my old LA address).

Chris Banuelos

Reaction score
Nthe
Of course, used prices in UK/Europe will be lower still ;)

Wasn't https://www.musicstore.com still offering US sales? It seems you can still checkout, e.g. a 1960AWH cab, and shipping is a flat €45!

It's actually cheaper than buying in Europe, because you don't have to pay the VAT they do.
They will get you for an extra $100 for shipping because of the weight. Still worth it.

Browneyesound

Reaction score
Did you try Music Store? I got as far as the payment step when I did a trial run with a 1960AHW cab, which seems promising (used my old LA address).
I just tried that with a 1959HW…holy crap, $1998 including shipping!

Edit: I did not complete the order, but according to the cart, they were going to allow me to purchase it

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
I believe that I tried them. Although I just went there, everything was in German, so I might not have. I got to the PayPal stage but didn’t press the link as I just ordered the same thing from Sweetwater last night and don’t need 2 cabs.

Latest posts