>

Two Maxon OD-808s Or One OD-808+SD1

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Johnny Blade, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Johnny Blade

Johnny Blade New Member

Just like the title says, Two Maxon OD-808s or One OD-808, and one SD1? Which combo would sound best? Which one first/last etc...
    I play Heavy metal/punk/thrash etc...
    I am using;

Main Guitar: Gibson LP STD
    Backup Guitar: Gibson Custom Flying V

into...Two OD-808s or One OD-808 and one boss SD1 into a JCM 800 2203, using high gain input into Two 300 watt celestion 1960 lead cabs (full stack).

Right now, I have been using terrible metal zone for OD, yuck!
    I have an old SD1, but it is not enough gain to do pinch harmonics ala Zack wylde etc... so should I use my sd1 and put that in front of a maxon tube screamer or use two maxon 808s? I have a chance to get 2 of the 808s for a good price. (the SD1 is from late 80s,... made in japan I believe.)
    ps
    plz dont suggest any other pedals as like I said, I can get 2 OD-808s for next to nothing. Also, I dont have room on my pedal board for all 3.

What should I do, other than throw the MT-2 into the garbage? lol!
    Thanx in advance for any advice.:)

2. chuckmehh

chuckmehh Well-Known Member

What kind of amp are you using? Two OD's isn't the answer IMO. You should only need one.

Wow, missed the 2203 part. Alright, set the SD-1 to:

Level: Maxed
    Drive: 8 o'clock
    Tone: Noon

Set the 2203:

Preamp gain: 3 o'clock
    Bass: 1 o'clock
    Mid: 1 o'clock
    Treble: 3 o'clock
    Presence: 1 o'clock

If you can't get pinches still, let me know. You definitely should be able to.

As an aside, though if you can get two 808 for a great price, do it and resell them! Be smart haha

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
    Johnny Blade likes this.
  3. newbies

newbies New Member

You should easily be getting zakk tones out of your sd1 and 2203 even at low volumes, maybe your pedal needs looking at. The sd1 and 2203 is a killer combo!! What pick ups you using aswell?? Through my 2203 my guitar with emgs kills my stock gibson when it comes to pinch harmonics.

4. AlisterHag

AlisterHag New Member

Those OD 808's are great for thrash!

5. American Viking

American Viking Well-Known Member

You won't need to blend two overdrives when playing in the high input.

I play in a black metal band where I only have an overdrive out front.

If you blend the two overdrives you may want to use the low input, or blend an overdrive with a distortion. That might be more up your alley. I used to put a Tube Screamer beside an MXR Distortion + with a 10 band EQ using the low input on a 2203. Pretty good tone but once I found an OD better than a TS9 I dropped the Distortion + and started using the high input again.

I just bought an SD-1 over the weekend and tried it out tonight. That thing sounds unbelievable in front of an 800. I can't believe I didn't get one of these sooner.

newbies likes this.
  6. American Viking

American Viking Well-Known Member

If neither of those pedals is giving you enough grit than maybe the pedal or the amp needs some TLC.

Plus you'll have to get some kind of noise gate after adding overdrive on top of overdrive on top of amp distortion. That's going to make a TON of white noise and feedback.

Johnny Blade likes this.
  7. Johnny Blade

Johnny Blade New Member

So I got the tubescreamers, and yeah its really noise that is the issue. I have
    ’57 Classic (neck) and ’57 Classic Plus (bridge) Pups. I tried the sd1 and turned down the gain on my amp to 7, and it worked with the ts1 od tuned to 9 oclock, but alas, not enough drive for even pinches unless I turn up the gain to 10 on my amp. its a brand new full stack, maybe i have shitty tubes in it? what are the best tubes for slayer DRI thrash etc sound? I know grove tubes are good. I heard marshall are using crappy chinese tubes now? anyways, I got a pair of maxon tubescreamers for a hundred bucks each. I have the amp set to;
    presence:9 o'clock
    bass: 10 o'clock
    mids: 11 o'clock
    treble: 1 o'clock
    Master 10 o'clock ie 4. at 5 it drowns out a mic'ed drum kit lol!
    Gain: Maxed
    both tubescreamers together, set each the same... level maxed, tone 11 o'clock, drive:eek:ff. so i'm using them both as boosts, it sounds WAY better than that MT-2 metal zone hah. but still, to get enough drive I have to turn the drive on one of the screamers to at least 1. it sounds deadly but so much hiss... and every noise gate Ive tried cuts me off when I roll back my guitars volume for clean sound. Im a guitarist, not a tap dancer lol. I know my Pups are good, they are worth like 500 bucks. but as for the tubes, they are stock. its a reissue with the fx loop. I put a boss eq in there to boost the mids for solos. so I still have the same trouble as before, it just sounds way better. but that damn hiss...
    TY all for all the ideas btw...any more suggestions?:)

8. Johnny Blade

Johnny Blade New Member

@chuckmehh
    Hey thanks, its nice to know how someone sets up their 2203. This sounds awesome, It really helps to turn the gain down on the amp a bit. What tubes do you use? are the stock ones any good?

9. newbies

newbies New Member

Maybe the kerry king signiture model would suit your needs better than the 800 reissue. It has its built in gate and has tonnes of gain on tap. I am pretty sure it runs on 4 KT88s & 3 ECC83s in the preamp. I would love to try one out one day!! I read somewhere jeff runs 6550 tubes in his 800s, but not sure if its true. Keep in mind slayer also use emgs

Definately look into a something like a isp decimator, ns2 or something to get rid of all the noise issue.

10. Johnny Blade

Johnny Blade New Member

Is this so you have less gain on stage to ensure you are playing tight enough? If so what is this trick about?

11. chuckmehh

To be honest, I don't even have nor have I ever played a 2203, I just know that those settings work for pretty much any amp haha

:rock::rock::rock:

Tubes can definitely be a problem if you're still not getting the drive you want even with the OD pedals, though. It should have more than enough kick for pinches at that point.

12. Johnny Blade

Johnny Blade New Member

im telling you this amp has NO OD. you have to dime all five knobs to get even ACDC sound. It must be the tubes. Im using all pro gear. I even tried raising my pickups, but then my amp farts when I turn the volume pot on my guitar down. so I have to keep em as high as they will go without making distortion with the clean sound, and I dont mean the nice distortion we are all after lol. my amp has 4 preamp tubes and 4 power amp tubes i think. I have the same gear as zakk wylde but cant get close unless i chain both tubescreamers together. and yeah maybe the sd1 is too old, its from like 1986 and is all scratched to shit lol, but I know this pedal is worth alot of money to some so Ive always kept it. the pedal is fine im sure, my amp is CLEAN. unless you turn the pre amp to 6 and the power amp to 5. then u get ACDC ride on sound. diming the whole amp gives back in black perfectly, but like i said before, it is STUPIDLY LOUD! at 5 it drowns out a mic'ed lars ulrich Tama kit. I am gonna check to see what tubes zakk uses or kerry king.

13. chuckmehh

Zakk uses 6550s, Kerry King uses KT88s. I think a good retube is in order, but the stock EL34s can get harmonics still. Try fresh EL34s first and also change the preamp tubes. When they get old, you can lose a lot of harmonic qualities (as I experienced with an old amp haha). :headbanger::headbanger:

You should be fine with a 2203 with good tubes and any ONE OD pedal. Good luck dude!

Johnny Blade likes this.
  14. newbies

newbies New Member

I got my 2203 back from a retube and it sounds amazing!! Wanted to put 6550s in but i don't get to really crank her much now. Definitely worth checking your tubes out because you should be getting more gain than acdc. Try your pedal out on a friends amp too then you know forsure

15. madmmx

madmmx New Member

What kind of amp is the OP playing through? A 2203X or a vintage 2203? Have you tried different guitar cables? I have had crappy cables cut alot of the guitars input and resulted in the amp sounding like it had no gain and it sounded like crap when I would roll off the volume. Could be tubes too but I would check cables.... If your amp has a loop(2203x), try a patch cable between the send and return also. You could have dirty loop jacks

I like to use 2 OD pedals if I am playing through a clean amp. I set the one closest to the amp to everything about 12:00 and the one before as a boost with the level and drive pointing at each other and the tones on each to taste.... usually 10:00 or 11:00. The one before will push the other into more clipping. If I am playing my 2203 with the preamp at 6-7, I only need 1 OD set as a boost

16. Marshallmaniac

Marshallmaniac Well-Known Member

Are you sure it's a 2203?