Two Cab Connection To A Silver Jubilee

tm0099

Reaction score
Hi guys. Hope that this is in the right forum.
I would like to hook up my two 4x12 cabs to my silver jubilee.
Each of the cabs is wired as a 16 ohm cab in mono. Each cab only has one speaker connection on the back and it is a 16 ohm connection.
Should I use both the speaker outs on the back of the Jube and connect to each cab using two speaker cables and should the amp be set to 16 ohm setting or 8 ohm?
Or is there a better way that will provide better sound (i.e. daisy chaining them - in which case how do I do this as my cabs only have one connection on the back (which is 16 ohm))?
Thanking you in advance for your feedback and guidance.

JCarno

Reaction score
I recently plugged into 2 16ohm cabs and used the 2x8ohm on the amp as recommended.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
If you have an original type design with an impedance selector then turn it to 8 OHM impedance and plug one 16 ohm cabinet into each speaker output jack.

That is it.

tm0099

Reaction score
Thanks JCarno and mickeydg5.
Yes it is the original type design with impedance selector.
Thanks for your quick replies. Will try it out tomorrow.
By the way is it possible to put them both out the one speaker out on the amp and daisy chain them? How would that affect the sound and how would someone do that type of hookup?

JCarno

Reaction score
Hello tm0099, I have to tell you that in my excitement to give you info on the Jube, mine happens to be the newer 2555x.
So with that in mind don't take what I say as gospel. Just my experience.
Hopefully someone with your particular amp will chime in.
FYI, mickeydg5 knows his bolony. :agreed:

tm0099

Reaction score
Much appreciated for the follow up JCarno.
All sounds about right from what I remember from years ago.
Thanks also to our veggie friend, mickeydg5 :)

mickeydg5

Reaction score
You are welcome. It is best to use two speaker cables. I guess you could find an adaption to connect two cabinets in parallel but two cables are easier to come by.

I am not a vegetarian, in fact far from it. I just do not like processed type foods including meats. I would much rather a filet, tenderloin cooked medium rare.

Toraboramusic

Reaction score
Just reading this.. im wondering if it is possible to plug 2 speaker cables from the 2 16 ohm outputs of a Jubilee 2555X - to the 2, 16 ohm inputs of a Marshall 2536 Stereo cab? Tbh, I dont know how to connect the 2536 cab in stereo.
Any info much appreciated!

V-man

Reaction score
Just reading this.. im wondering if it is possible to plug 2 speaker cables from the 2 16 ohm outputs of a Jubilee 2555X - to the 2, 16 ohm inputs of a Marshall 2536 Stereo cab? Tbh, I dont know how to connect the 2536 cab in stereo.
Any info much appreciated!
What would you hope to accomplish with that anyway? IIRC the 1936 did mono 8ohm and stereo 16 ohm and (regardless of whether I recalled that correctly) could just as easily jack in to that in stereo as well as 1960 stereo cabs if you set the amp’s impedance correctly. All you accomplish with that is wasting an extra speaker cable and risk something (else) going wrong switching between amps/cabs.

RLW59

Reaction score
Thanks JCarno and mickeydg5.
Yes it is the original type design with impedance selector.
Thanks for your quick replies. Will try it out tomorrow.
By the way is it possible to put them both out the one speaker out on the amp and daisy chain them? How would that affect the sound and how would someone do that type of hookup?
Your amp's speaker jacks are in parallel. Diasy-chaining cabs is also a parallel connection (in the way guitarists use the phrase "daisy-chaining"). So both methods are electrically the same -- they sound exactly the same. Either way the amp sees a total 8 ohm load so you set the impedance switch to 8 ohms.
--------------------
On a 1960 with the switching jackplate you could disable/remove the switching circuit, hardwire the cab to 16 ohms only, and connect the jacks in parallel. Then use them as in & out jacks.

Or add an extra jack (on the switchplate if the PCB and its connections don't get in the way, or mounted on the back panel if there's not enough room on the jackplate) and connect the extra jack in parallel to the 16 ohm jack.

But again, there's no sonic difference and no benefits for the amp or speakers. So no reason to modify your cabs just to be able to hook them together so you only use one of your amp's two jacks.
-----------------------
Marshall's switching jackplates are prone to failure and to prevent that some people remove the switching circuit and hardwire to 16 ohms only (or to fix a switchplate that's already failed). When they do that it makes sense to turn the second jack into a parallel jack.
-------------------------
There are lots of different setups for amp output jacks. Some amps have a single 16 ohm jack, a single 8 ohm jack, and a single 4 ohm jack with no switch. Daisy chaining cabs is very useful for amps like that.

If you wanted to use 4 cabs with your 2 jack amp, daisy chaining the cabs would also be useful.

Toraboramusic

Reaction score
What would you hope to accomplish with that anyway? IIRC the 1936 did mono 8ohm and stereo 16 ohm and (regardless of whether I recalled that correctly) could just as easily jack in to that in stereo as well as 1960 stereo cabs if you set the amp’s impedance correctly. All you accomplish with that is wasting an extra speaker cable and risk something (else) going wrong switching between amps/cabs.
Thanks for the reply V-man. I guess as its the first stereo cab ive owned, I simply dont know how to actually run it in stereo. I mean does it need 2 heads? (Im guessing not..) and are the two 16 ohm outputs on the Jubilee designed to connect to 2 16 ohm cabs only?