>

Two Bad Dsl20 Heads???

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by ALLsteven, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Karl Brake

Karl Brake Active Member

I play JVMs, a 410 Satriani and a 215 combo as my main heads ( as well as an EVH5150iii el34 occassionally), but I decided to get a dsl100hr as a second line/ alternative, maybe sell the EVH, but I had repeated noise problems on new amps just as described here. I gave up on the dsl, too many QC problems. Some brands have Asian built amps that seem to be reliable, but Marshall's partners seem to have issues...maybe just too many miles in shipping containers. The Marshalls made in England are dead reliable, really high build quality. I'm staying away from Asian Marshalls!

Unburst likes this.
  2. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I’m pretty sure Marshall has their own factory in Vietnam, and I don’t think these Dsl20 issues are indicative of the rest of the Dsl line.

This newer Dsl cr line has always been thought of as being quality built amps. Other than the Dsl20 the rest of the line have had very few issues to speak of.

3. Unburst

Unburst Member

I'm just curious why Marshall don't release a 40R head, after all these years the combo is in the market.

Antmax likes this.
  4. Musicmaniac

Musicmaniac Well-Known Member

I've got one that's still going strong!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

I believe their impression is that the 40 (or rather 50W) head gap in the product line is filled by the DSL100HR when you flick it to half power. If you look at it like that you have a 1, 5, 20, 50 and 100W.

6. ITburst

ITburst Active Member

I’ve actually started looking at other heads already, as a “plan b”. Just in case my dsl20 can’t properly be repaired. I don’t think I would want to keep swapping for replacements until I find a good one.

Funny thing, the more I play it the less I get the crackle and pop. It’s not as loud when it happens and does not last as long. Do you think in any way it’s a “burn in” sort of thing? I’ll play it for another week or so to see what happens. After all, the year warranty has only just started

7. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Is there a recording of this noise? Hypothetically, some things can need to 'settle' or 'burn in' initially, but it says something about those bits or the shape they're in if so.

8. ITburst

ITburst Active Member

I did send two clips to Marshall to listen to. Their reply was that they still feel it’s the gyrator. But without actually seeing the amp they could not be sure. Fair enough, I get that.
    I did ask if it could be a burn in issue but got no response from that.

I was going to ask them bluntly, but kindly, why is this still happening. I wanted to ask them why this has not been sorted after 3 years of the same problem. I wanted to send them a link to posts here where people have been talking about it since 2018, with some even saying that Marshall had been contacted and had been told the same thing back in 2018, that it’s the gyrator. But I’m sure I would have just been more irritated by whatever stock answer I would have received.

9. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Well, I'm a lucky DSL20 owner, I bought mine with the correct wiring, etc. Apart from it almost self-destructing with the stock output valves due to heat it's never had any issues. It's a 2018 revision.
    When I asked about the recording, I meant for me (or us) to listen to. :)

Crackling and popping would send me looking at the valves first. Power section, then the pre-amp/phase splitter. Obviously also all obvious contacts that could show issues (input, output, pots, switches, etc). When those are ruled out it comes down to pulling the chassis which may affect the warranty. Tap the valves with a chopstick for microphony, wobble the pots and jacks, see if you can find a 'mechanical' cause for the crackling and so on. If not, I'd reckon it's a cap going bad or a very dodgy resistor.

Marshall 'support' is a pile of wank in my experience and from what I've heard from others. They told me that shorting the input jack of my amp would damage it. Think about that; the volume knob on your guitar can now damage your amp. The DSL20 manual even tells you how to turn the amp on - including taking it off standby twice. Twice. :scratch:

Max Gahne likes this.
  10. Max Gahne

Max Gahne Well-Known Member

The DSL20HR I got in April of this year has been excellent from day one. Going inside it was built as well as anything. Looking at the schematic can someone tell me where a gyrator is?

11. ITburst

ITburst Active Member

PelliX, I had a quick try at attaching the video I took with my iPhone. I could not figure out how to get it on here. I’ll keep working on it.

Mitchell Pearrow and PelliX like this.
  12. ITburst

ITburst Active Member

Files too big!!

13. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Put it on YouTube or sound loud and post the link, you can make YouTube private and only those with the link can see it.

14. ITburst

ITburst Active Member

I’ll look into that, thanks

15. ITburst

ITburst Active Member

16. ITburst

ITburst Active Member

GregM and PelliX like this.
  17. ITburst

ITburst Active Member

18. Unburst

Unburst Member

IDK,but the 40CR is switchable to 20w, and still there is a 20w head and a combo. Maybe its a thing that folks prefer the 40w over 100w overkill, so Marshall give you the thing that puts more money in their pockets.

Mitchell Pearrow and PelliX like this.
  19. ITburst

ITburst Active Member

Apologies for the double post

20. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Obviously it's hard to judge the volume because of the phone, but I get the picture (sound). With the reverb above about 6 on those amps you're bound to get a lot of funky noise. The DFX board inside for the digital reverb has an awful noise floor (even in the perfectly working models). If you turn the reverb all the way down, does the problem almost entirely disappear?

Stupid question, perhaps, but there's nothing else in the vicinity that could be causing interference? If you happen to post another video, could you unplug anything from the input and turn the volume up and down slowly, ideally without the gain too high?