>

Two Bad Dsl20 Heads???

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by ALLsteven, Jun 6, 2018.

1. ALLsteven

ALLsteven New Member

hoping someone can help. Been trying to contact Marshall but no word back yet. I bought a DSL20 head and it had horrible feedback problems at moderate gain levels and a background noise when not playing that sounded kind of like wind blowing into a microphone. Not crazy loud but enough to think it isn’t normal as none of my other amps do this.

So I exchanged it. Got my new one yesterday and it doesn’t have the feedback issue but it does still have that background noise like wind blowing into a microphone or something with some slight almost crackling noises. Is this normal for these? Does anyone else have this problem? It does not change with volume or gain or the channels. It remains the same no matter where those settings are set.

I thought maybe it’s more sensitive to background electrical noise. If that’s the case is there some way to reduce this? Any help would be great. This is my first Marshall amp tho I have had other tube amps. I’m going to try putting in some better tubes and see what happens. Guess I really just want to make sure nothing is wrong with it. Technically it’s not horrible and I could live with it if I had to since I do love the way it sounds when playing. Just kinda wish it wasn’t there.

Thanks in advance!

ibmorjamn likes this.
  2. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Return it. It is not acting like an amp in perfect working order should.

Ufoscorpion, nickfox and Unburst like this.
  3. ALLsteven

ALLsteven New Member

See that’s what I was thinking. Just thought it was crazy that I would get two bad ones back to back. I just thought what are the odds? Of course my local shops don’t have one in stock so I can’t test any around me. So it made me wonder if anyone else who owned this amp was experiencing this.

4. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

Dayumm!!
    That would be my luck.. I love my tube amps, but gheeze it seems as if more ppl have more issues with tubes nowadays than anything....
    I know there is a maint factor with tubes but everytime I look @ the amp section more ppl are having nothing but issues... I think if I had some of these issues I would be forced to go SS although the sound kinda blows...:pissed:

ibmorjamn and Ramo like this.
  5. nevermind

nevermind Active Member

It took me 3 tries to finally get a quiet DSL20HR. I got mine from Sweetwater and they finally took one out of stock and plugged it in before sending another one to me.

FWIW, I really LOVE this amp. If I could have gotten this instead of the DSL15H my amp purchases over the last year would have been much less expensive!

GregM, nickfox and Trident like this.
  6. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

If ya happen to get a good one, the 40 and the 20 are some screamin lil BEASTS...
    I surely like mine... Guess I got lucky when I ordered mine, so far never an issue with either...
    They both have some KICK of their own..

7. ALLsteven

ALLsteven New Member

Well I’m glad it’s not just me and I’m just crazy unlucky. I mean this amp sounds awesome! But that noise is slightly annoying and if you were able to get a quite one then clearly something is wrong with the two I got. So time to call Zzounds and see if they will do the same for me. Hopefully they will.

8. nevermind

nevermind Active Member

LOL - You aren't crazy, at least as far as the rustling wind thing goes... :lol:

Yeah, I was hopeful but not sure SW got the amp checked out correctly but doggone it, they did! The 20HR is 100% worth the battle of jumping through a few hoops to get a good one.

[​IMG]

9. ALLsteven

ALLsteven New Member

Well I called and unfortunately they won’t check the amp before hand. Said there warehouse isn’t where they answer calls but they were happy to have me send the old one back and they send another. Tried to get them to just send a new one now and I return this one once I get the new one but they couldn’t do that either. But I did get them to ship the new one as soon as I drop the old off at ups. So I’m going to use this one over the weekend then Monday return this one and hopefully the third time is a charm and the next one will be good!! Cause I really don’t want to have to try for a fourth one!!

I really wonder what is causing this noise. If I knew what it was and it was just some $1 capacitor or something I would just fix it myself and be done with it. But anyways looks like this coming Wednesday I’ll have my third DSL20 and hopefully it’s a winner!

GregM likes this.
  10. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 New Member

I bought a DSL 20CR online. It had the noise problem you described. The noise was present when I turned on the amp. Even without the guitar cable plugged in. I returned it. The new one arrived a couple days ago. It sounds awesome and has zero noise.

nickfox likes this.
  11. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

If you go trying to fix something yourself you could very well void the warranty.
    Returning it is the right decision. It is unfortunate Zounds wouldn't do that for you.
    I know Sweetwater usually bends over backwards for their customers.
    BP

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  12. nevermind

nevermind Active Member

Agreed BP, they like to take good care of their customers!

FWIW, if it was me, I would just return the bad amp to ZZ and buy one from SW...

matttornado and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. ALLsteven

ALLsteven New Member

Honestly I thought about it. But then I’d have to wait for zzounds to receive my amp back then send the refund which takes a week or more then wait for the bank to process the refund which is another week. So I’m just gonna do this. Lesson learned tho. Next time I’ll go to sweet water!

Mitchell Pearrow and nevermind like this.
  14. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 New Member

I went through this with ZZounds. They will ship your new amp 2nd day shipping as soon as you drop the old one off at UPS. I turned mine in to UPS on a Tuesday afternoon and got the new one Friday.

GregM and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  15. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

it sounds like a hit and miss issue. at least it will give postal companies more work

16. ALLsteven

ALLsteven New Member

Well I just talked to Marshall and they said it’s normal. They said it’s a gyrator circuit (idk if I’m saying that right) inside the unit to insure the best low frequency response and performance. They also said some units the noise maybe lesser than others but it is normal. So seems like that circuit is hit and miss and some can be dead quite while most are creating some noise. So should I try for another or just stay with it and try to ignore it. Hmm. Lol I may try one more? Guess I’ll play it over the weekend and see what happens.

17. nevermind

nevermind Active Member

The issue I see is if you have the head/speaker mic'd up. You can stop/quiet all input, (turn vol off on the guitar and turn the volume off on both channels) and still hear the rustling noise. FWIW, I had the head and cabinets 30' away from me, speakers angled away from me at 90* and could still hear the rustling in a quiet room.

During musical rests, is the noise loud enough to be heard? From what I heard from mine, I wouldn't want that background noise in the mix.

18. ALLsteven

ALLsteven New Member

Right, I’m with you on that. Mine is the same way. All volumes cut to zero and still you hear it. Now mine can’t really be heard once you get maybe ten feet away. But mic’d up you would definitely hear it. I’m going to play it some more this weekend and see how I feel. But more than likely I’m going to try again. I mean if you got one that was perfectly quite then I would much rather have one like that. Seems like to me that gyrator circuit is hit or miss. Which stinks. I mean why would they think this is 100% ok. When mic’d up your going to have that sound. So more than likely I’ll be trying again and hoping the next one is like yours and doesn’t have the sound.

nevermind likes this.
  19. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I for one would return it without even thinking about it. Yes, it's a pain, but you can't have an amp that makes that kind of noise.

matttornado and nickfox like this.
  20. ALLsteven

ALLsteven New Member

Yeah that’s pretty much where I am. I just wonder how many times I will have to do this to get a good one since Marshall says it’s normal. I love the sound of the amp so I want to keep it. Just want a quite one. If I had another $500 I would get a better Marshall head. :/ just gonna keep going till I get a winner. I’m sure eventually Marshall will get tired of returns and fix the “gyrator circuit”

John BNY likes this.