turn it down

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by ricksdisconnected, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

I thought that too before I decided to try it. Some amps, like my 50W Mesa Express, get really loud for a smaller room long before you get to '1' on the MV, and the tone is pretty crappy at those settings. I use the JHS LBB in the loop to just trim enough off the signal to keep the overall volume reasonable (90-100 dB at 6 feet) when the amp's MV is around '3'. Believe it or not, the resulting tone is much better than having the MV extremely low. It seems to just open up the amp enough to sound really good.

Different story with my 50W Rectifier. It has a MV for each channel as well as an 'Output' volume control, which acts as an overall MV for the amp. This seems to give much better control and that amp sounds good at lower volume on its own. :cheers:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  2. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

WWHHAA I CANT HEAR YOU
    :cheers:

3. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ ✴- - - - - TEH - - - - -✴ ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

That's interesting. I know what you're saying about the Recto having the "Output" control post-master to balance out the channels (I always thought that was genius). What I don't understand is how are you using the JHS LBB (which is a buffer box with no controls) to "trim" any signal? It seems that the only thing it does is "process" the signal, inthat, it buffer's it.

BTW, I just looked at 3 of those JHS boxes, each with its own signal routing function, and they seem like very useful and inexpensive devices. :yesway:

Old Punker likes this.
  4. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Yep..Sad, ain't it? :sadwave:

I've been watching to score what amounts to a big stompbox that does lotsa stuff. Been watching since last year actually, and after getting home from our trip to Scotfest pulled up Reverb..

Holy crap, the same thingie I was looking at a couple of months ago has gone up in price at least $100.00, much more if one wants a "return policy" to go with the damn thing..Musically, EVERYTHING'S gone up, amps, guitars, effects, ect. ect.

Not to mention essentials. Gas, food, medicine, every damn thing..And NOT just a little! The bottom's getting ready to drop out from this baby big-time..:run:

5. Old Punker

Hey @Vinsanitizer this is the one I have

https://www.amazon.ca/JHS-Little-Bl...ttle+black+amp+box&qid=1632277668&sr=8-1&th=1

To my ears there is a big difference when using this with the amp volume around '3' vs having the MV around '0.3'.

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  6. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ ✴- - - - - TEH - - - - -✴ ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Again, interesting. I didn't see one like that with a level control. I wonder how it works. Maybe it just fattens the signal up, IDK.

Old Punker likes this.
  7. Vinsanitizer

upload_2021-9-21_22-48-52.png

Old Punker likes this.
  8. Heiko Jakob

Heiko Jakob Active Member

Jeez, me and my plexi full stack won't fit into any closet/wardrobe together. Let alone that the plexi would easily blow all the cloth from the hangers.

Old Punker, DaDoc and StratoMarshall like this.
  9. Barfly

Barfly Expert bottle opener.

I used to play loud when I was a youngin'. Now I keep it pretty subdued unless I am recording. I'm paying the price for all the early years of blaring without plugs. My ears sound like I have a cicada army in them now. Very loud.

10. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

sad times bro. yet so many think they are uneffected lol. it slowly comes on and you dont notice.
    is it worth it? NOPE.

Barfly likes this.
  11. XTRXTR

XTRXTR Well-Known Member

years of loud gave me the rings and tones too but it doesn't really bother me, its only when its quiet around me that I notice. I used to stand with my left ear toward the drummers crash, I think that did it more than the amps. 44yrs Live.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  12. Barfly

Barfly Expert bottle opener.

It seems like just this year it's gotten really bad. Went to an ear doc who said it's "louder" due to hearing loss making it seem so. LoL.. Not to worry, I am anesthetizing myself with a Guiness Extra Foreign Stout as I type. I think it's working.

13. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

drink one for your buddy down here in Ga my friend. :cheers:

Mitchell Pearrow and Barfly like this.
  14. Edgar Frog

Edgar Frog Well-Known Member

I feel ya man. I'm on 15-16 years now with extremely loud bad non stop chronic tinnitus. I never have a minute of silence and nothing can drown it out, I hear it over everything no matter how loud. The louder something gets it's like daggers in the ears and it triggers my chronic migraines which I've suffered with for over 30 years now. Silence is a hole another story, silence is the worst anymore, because there is no silence anymore. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to go insane. It's a horrible thing that people don't even begin to understand till it's to late.

15. Old Punker

Mine sound the same, but strangely enough, my hearing is still quite sensitive. Ringing seems almost negligible some days, then 5x louder another day. Weird!

[​IMG]

Barfly and ricksdisconnected like this.
  16. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

That Iron Tone King Mini II sounds good but its only good up to 30
    watts and 8 ohms!!!!

17. MarshallDog

Wow so sorry to hear this! I had a scare with something like it and learned my lesson! Always protect your ears, always!

18. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

oh man. :(

19. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

I have had some sort of tinnitus since puberty. I ignore it most of the time.

When it comes to music I want it loud, I wanna hear it loud, right between the eyes. It noise cancels the tinnitus. :D

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  20. MarshallDog

So tinnitus can be brought on by too much self relief:erk: