Tubes & speaker upgrade for DSL40c?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by BigGuitars, Jan 14, 2020.

1. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I can highly recommend running the DSL40CR with an extension cab underneath.
    If you can find an unloaded 112 cab that has a footprint that would support the DSL40CR dimensions, the spare V-Type would be perfect.

2. BigGuitars

BigGuitars Member

Honestly, I have to say, I know I said I liked the sound of this amp, and I think it has potential for sure if property tweaked, but I don’t see how people think this amp sounds good stock. Its just got this low-end, cheap sound to my ears. You crank it up, it’s just got this buzzsaw sound that overpowers everything else about it. It just sounds like a cheap amp. I thought it was tubes and speaker that made it sound like that, but apparently more has to be done to get that out of it.

3. Yamariv

Yamariv Well-Known Member

As a proud owner of a DSL40C that is my main Band Practice and Gigging amp, change the speaker to a Creamback and then worry about other mods. I have the 75 Creamback in mine and it sounds awesome, couldn't be happier!

4. BigGuitars

BigGuitars Member

People have recommended the Boss sd-1 as a good boost pedal to pair with the dsl40, but I’m having trouble finding one for sale in my area. However, I have found some ds-1 pedals in my area. Are these pedals similar? Would the ds-1 would give similar results to the sd-1 with this amp?

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  5. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Found this on YT

In a DSL40

Celestion Speaker Shootout: Seventy80, Greenback, G12T75, G12B150, Vintage 30.

For details look at the post from Felipe Barile in the Youtube comments.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. SkyMonkey

The DS-1 may be a bit too much to be considered an overdrive (DS=distortion).
    There are comparison vids on YT.
    The SD-1 is one of the cheapest pedals Boss makes though.

And yes, I do push my DSL with overdrives. Makes a 4 mode amp into an 8 mode amp.

If you can't decide on an overdrive, maybe a modeler by someone like ZOOM will do. (e.g. ZOOM MS-50G). Buy 2nd hand, then sell afterwards.
    They have a range of pedal sims to try.
    Buy the one that you like best after auditioning them on the ZOOM.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  7. BigGuitars

BigGuitars Member

I’m not a gearhead, and I don’t get into new age technology or modeling or what not. I just want to buy simple equipment that is readily available in my area that will give me a good sound. so again, would the ds-1 work similarly to the sd-1 for a boost with this amp? I can get it today.

tce63 likes this.
  8. BigGuitars

BigGuitars Member

And also, what about the Boss ST-2 Power Stack?

tce63 likes this.
  9. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

I'd use a Bad Monkey over a DS-1 any day of the week. I had a Keeley modded DS1 and still couldn't get close to something I like.

scozz, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  10. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

The MXR ZW44 is based on the SD1. Very similar in tone and gain structure.
    Or a Maxon OD808 would be great.
    Try some overdrives that are available to you. Something will click.
    What area are you in?

solarburnDSL50 and tce63 like this.
  11. SkyMonkey

If the RAT didn't suit, I doubt any other distortion type pedal will either. An ST-2 pedal is meant to be used through a clean channel to give its own distinctive distortion tones instead of the amp. You will be hearing the pedal, not the amp.

Adieu likes this.
  12. BigGuitars

BigGuitars Member

Okay, I’m going to counter-signal this amp here. Sorry for those who might be offended, but I don’t really get it. I feel like my ears are in a category all their own, perhaps in a parallel dimension from everyone else’s. I don’t think the rat pedal sounds good (or even remotely usable), nor do I think the stock sound of the dsl sounds good. But nobody else seems to hear what I’m talking about. They’re like wow this amp sounds incredible! I’m like, what are you talking about? It sounds like a cheap piece of junk from walmart. You crank it, and you get this crappy, cheap, buzzsaw sound. No articulation at all. You try to do palm-muted riffing on the lower strings and you get this mushy, round, muddy, unresponsive, sound, along with the cheap plastic buzzsaw sound. There’s no “attack” or tightness. It doesn’t respond to what you’re doing, so I feel like I’m fighting a stubborn mule when I play through this amp. It’s an ill-playing, contrary amp that works against you. Pinch harmonics are next to impossible, and when you go to play fast legato or alternate picking licks, the notes fade away as quick as they’re plucked, making fast playing sound choppy and bad. It makes you sound like a worse player than you are. It’s not dynamic at all.

And it’s not like I’m using cheap guitars either. I’ve got a Washburn Nuno Bettencourt model, and a high end EVH Wolfgang 2019 model.

I don’t get it. I’ve never understood the guitar community. I’ve always had trouble understanding other guitarists, and what they think sounds good. They say something is so good when it’s complete and utter sh*t. Not saying this amp can’t be reworked and made to sound good. I can certainly tell that its got that underlying marshall tone if you could just find the right combination with it. But out of the box I just don’t see why people rave about it. It’s pretty bad IMO.

tce63 likes this.
  13. houseofrock

OK. you talked about speakers and tubes. I don't think you have had time to replace any of these, correct?
    Do you have access to an extension cabinet with different speakers to try? I would try a different speaker before investing in tube swap. Some people just don't mesh well with the DSL. Can you take it back?

Peter McAteer likes this.
  14. BigGuitars

BigGuitars Member

I re-tubed and biased it. The sound improvement from before is noticeable, but doesn’t work miracles for the amp. On high power mode, I can get okay bedroom tones if I roll down the volume. But it still leaves much to be desired.

15. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

back off the bias to 33-35. 38 I think is on the higher side. Mine is biased to 35 and it’s not that buzzsaw like at all. Or even try around 33 and try it.

16. EC Strat

EC Strat Member

I’m glad you got the CR - it’s a much better amp than the C. Better voicing and performance all around. Agree - it’s still ice picky - even after I put in NOS tubes and a Creamback - I couldn’t shake that ice pick. I nodded C73 and put in a lower value cap (470 pf comes stock on the bright cap and I put on a 100pf) After some drama - it’s working and tone better now. I had to keep the treble at 9 o’clock and presence at 10 - now I’ve got them at 1 and 2 o’clock and have a true scooped / brown tone. Just an FYI

also - I set the bias at 32 ma. Again much better. Helps tame the brightness.

17. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

What are you playing through this amp? Metal???

18. EC Strat

EC Strat Member

also until you get your speaker broken in and amp sorted - you’ll need to run your trebles at around 9 ocolock and back off the presence. If they are at 12 o’clock or greater it’s strident.

19. houseofrock

ahhhh yes, speaker break in hmmmm.:iough:

Mitchell Pearrow and EC Strat like this.
  20. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

32 or so!

Mitchell Pearrow and EC Strat like this.