Tubes red plating

stacey

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with tubes not lasting as long as they use to? I've got a jcm 2000 dsl 100 watt but before anyone goes down the bias drift road it's got a replacement board which I've tested for any issues & all ok. I did replace bias pots about 2 years ago as one was faulty. I usually replace power tubes yearly as I play a fair bit & today the set that are about 2 months old red plated. 2 tubes on one side. Electro harmonix el34s. I usually bias to 66 mv each side.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
I don’t play all my amps all the time but they never red-plate. I did recently buy an 86 2204 that had a leaking coupling cap on the PI, that caused one side to red-plate when I first ran it. But, no problem with any power tubes for years.

Seanxk

Reaction score
Red plating is not an indication of old age, it's a sign that your bias is wrong or I suspect something else, perhaps a replaced bias board didn't catch all the damaged components ?.

stacey

Reaction score
Red plating is not an indication of old age, it's a sign that your bias is wrong or I suspect something else, perhaps a replaced bias board didn't catch all the damaged components ?.
Its a replacement mother board /main board. It did have a faulty bias pot so I replaced both. It's been running solid problem free for 2 years so I'm at a loss as to what can be wrong

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Which ones V5 and V6 or V7 and V8?

Probably V5 and V6 right?

How many millivolts are measurable
at the pins right now?

stacey

Reaction score
Which ones V5 and V6 or V7 and V8?

Probably V5 and V6 right?

How many millivolts are measurable
at the pins right now?
V5 & v6 I've put an old set of Svetlanas in & bias to 66mv & all seems OK for the moment.

South Park

Reaction score
The amp is working so start of with just Turn down the bias one or two volts and see if that helps

Latest posts