Tube Change Makes Nice Improvement with Dsl1hr

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve always had a bit of an issue with the Dsl line of amps, my ears always detected a little too much compression for my liking, and I can never dial it out much.

I own a Dsl1hr that I play thru a 1-12 Greenback cab. I don’t use it much because of the compression. The amp has only two preamp tubes, (both 12AX7’s) so I changed out both of them to 5751’s, (70% of the gain of a 12AX7).

What a difference, I didn’t expect too much, so I was pleasantly surprised when I could only hear a small amount of compression! It was still there, but much better, I’m very happy with the sound now.

I know my buddy @Mitchell Pearrow has also done this, with 12AT7’s I think, Mitch will check in and let us know. I think he did it with his Dsl40’s.

Well I’m happy cause I will use the amp now for some different flavore, both channels sound markedly better. And I can dime it and sit practically right in front of the cab!

The red channel has less gain, and the green channel is more musical and sweeter sounding, at least to my ears.

Last edited:

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for something I don't remember what.
I’ve always had a bit of an issue with the Dsl line of amps, my ears always detected a little too much compression for my liking, and I can never dial it out much.

I own a Dsl1hr that I play thru a 1-12 Greenback cab. I don’t use it much because of the compression. The amp has only two preamp tubes, (both 12AX7’s) so I changed out both of them to 5751’s, (70% of the gain of a 12AX7).

What a difference, I didn’t expect too much, so I was pleasantly surprised when I could only hear a small amount of compression! It was still there, but much better, I’m very happy with the sound now.

I know my buddy @Mitchell Pearrow has also done this, with 12AT7’s I think, Mitch will check in and let us know. I think he did it with his Dsl40’s.

Well I’m happy cause I will use the amp now for some different flavore, both channels sound markedly better. And I can dime it and sit practically right in front of the cab!

The red channel has less gain, and the green channel is more musical and sweeter sounding, at least to my ears. And I can dime it and sit practically right in front of it!
Try an unbalanced ECC82 in the poweramp slot too. This can add to the harmonics and open-ness of the amp, making it sound less compressed. 🙂👍

PaulHikeS2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

The red channel has less gain, and the green channel is more musical and sweeter sounding, at least to my ears. And I can dime it and sit practically right in front of it!
While I don't have the experience to understand what a compressed sound is and how that is bad, I did change out the Preamp 1 slot for an ECC823 in my DSL1HR to good effect. Makes the gain much more manageable on the red channel. I play mine through 2 10" cabs.