>

TSL 100 / Never Again!!!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by triodeamplification, Mar 16, 2012.

1. American Viking

American Viking Well-Known Member

I agree.

I hate to say it but Marshall gave up on building good amps in the 90's. The main goal these days is to make money.

NewReligion and diesect20022000 like this.
  2. Bieling3

Bieling3 Well-Known Member

Okay, so maybe he's not a troll, but I can say his experiance is the complete opposite of mine when it comes to the tsl. Damn fine, completely underrated amp. If you can find one for under $700 in good shape consider it a steal. If you can't make it sing shitcan the G12-T75s or pick up the acoustic.

3. twitchylizard

twitchylizard New Member

I guess if I paid 1400 for a TSL, Id be grouchy too..Everything ive had with the Marshall name on it has been great and they have made amps since the jcm 800 that are great (DSL, VM, JVM)

Bieling3 likes this.
  4. big dooley

big dooley Well-Known Member VIP Member

he joined this board 2 years ago and so far he has made 12 comments only... then he promptly kicks the door in again after months of absence and starts a shit stir like this.... he is a troll...

marshall still believes in their products and are bloody proud of them... if they were going for the money only, the top shelf models would already be made/assembled in the far east, along with the budget models...

yes, they are build differently and more quickly... imagine a JVM 410H build the same way as it's predecessor in the 80's... not only would it be impossible to achieve without serious consistency problems (even those simple 800's were inconsistent), but also the models would become so bloody expensive, that they would never sell in the fisrty place...

they still produce the old stuff, like they did back then... which proves positive, that they want to satisfy their customer, and not trying to rip their wallet only...
    visit their factor, talk to people, and you see the proudness of all their workers dripping off of them... they're so involved in making a product they can stand behind, that it's actually scary...

crossroadsnyc, keef1367 and Bieling3 like this.
  5. keef1367

keef1367 Well-Known Member

Been playing Marshalls for years and I love my TSL! It's the tits :applause:

6. American Viking

American Viking Well-Known Member

You guys are just pissed because there's someone out there that doesn't like your precious JCM2000's.

Imagine if he dissed the DSL, y'all would be trying to burn him at the stake.

diesect20022000 likes this.
  7. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

I don't think it's fair to jump on the Marshall bashing bandwagon here. The percentage of problems in comparison to the number of amps produced each year is miniscule ... and when problems do arise, whether during production, or as an after the fact warranty related issued, it's addressed. As is always the case, whereas we often hear from people who are dissatisfied, we rarely hear from the vast majority who are off enjoying their amps.

I'm really sorry you had some problems with your TSL, but in all fairness it's an issue that you left unresolved 10 years ago. If you purchased the amp new, Marshall would have honored a warranty to repair or replace the amp. If you purchased the amp used, well, it sucks, but that's the chance you take on the used market ... sometimes you find a great deal, and sometimes you find nothing but an irritating ordeal.

As for Marshall not putting out anything worthwhile since the 80's, well, I couldn't disagree more ... I'm not going to do an amp to amp rundown of the last two and a half decades, but the Vintage Modern is perhaps the best amp Marshall has put out since the 60's. If vintage Marshall isn't your style, the newer JVM series amps are not only very well made, but deliver an amazing modern Marshall tone (and a lot of them haha).

Yeah, I'm starting to ramble, but I wanted to throw in my two cents ... and for what it's worth, I don't think you're a troll, I just think you're wrong ... no offense to you personally, however ... and a belated welcome to the forum ;)

8. keef1367

keef1367 Well-Known Member

Naaaa I'm not pissed just saying that I like mine loads and it's reliable as shit ya know, each to their own just my 2 pence's worth thats all :)

9. JTyson

JTyson Active Member

I dont think he's a troll either, I've been pissed at the company a few times myself. Usually due to the same issue's. Its a bit unfair to label someone a troll who is just voicing their opinion. A good product should be able to withstand some criticism, or it probably wasent that good to start with
    If all the posters here were saying the same thing, it would get boring in a hurry, and the forum would have zero credibility.
    Even if I disagree with him about some of the newer models, I welcome his input.
    Just sayin' :naughty:

10. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 In Memorandum VIP Member

I agree. I've kept my mouth shut many times because of the gang rape that can occur but in all truth anything past the 900's (and really it's 800's) are made like shit. Yes i LOVE the Marshall sound so i come back eventualy but straight up they're not built well. They're made for cost and if you open it up you can tell. They still manage incredible tone but open up a DSL 100 MLB and then open even a Peavey or a lower end Mesa. look at the difference in quality of the components, the layout. things like PCB mounted tube sockets,knobs and glue all over some of the caps and even the fuses makes things unreliable and hard to fix.

every single Marshall i've owned other than my 4500 has had some sort of issue even though i can usualy fix it and it's relatively minor. not ONE other amp (and man i go through amps like people go through drawers sometimes) i've owned has even ONCE given me problems save the obvious tube replacements.

It sucks but it is what it is. Marshall makes killer sounding amps but right now especialy they really need to get quality back in especialy for some of the price points they're pushing for new gear.

I will say the JVM seems to be relatively issue free except it's rediculously noisey under high gain conditions but that's still workable if you have good suppression.

So yeah i love Marshall amps and tone and i always wil but, this is how it is and you know maybe we SHOULD say something. If we do maybe they'll pay a little more attention to quality again. It certainly wouldn't hurt their business in as far as sales go. all the tones i love are marshall but i can't afford maintanance right now on most of the models i can afford to BUY, lol.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  11. JayCM800

JayCM800 Well-Known Member

This is heavy duty trolling if you ask me! (IMF'knO)

I understand how some people choose to stagnate in their own prejudices, what i don't get is why they try to spread their "discontinued" points of view instead of taking them to that dark corner the internet where the Anti-Modern Marshall herd is stuck!

^AXE^ and Söulcaster like this.
  12. triodeamplification

triodeamplification New Member

Theres no trolling going on here! Those of you that have not had any problems,more power to you. But from a technical standpoint and if you work on these new Marshalls any tech with any experience will tell you they are made of crap and your just lucky that it has lasted as long as it has so far. As far as any warranty goes,Marshall would not replace those early boards and denied any problems with the boards themselves except for the batch of boards that were loaded wrongly with 220k grids. That was obvious and acknowledged by Marshall. But as far as any replacement boards for the early and some later TSL amps Marshall flat denied that a new board was needed and that it was all in our heads. I never said i would never play a Marshall amp again either. I said the TSL amp and the newer ones as well are made of fortune cookies and you can expect problem. Why would anyone continue to buy new amps from a company that is known to have problems? Thats all i am saying. The old JCM 800 is the last king to be made by Marshall. Everything else made since is a crap shoot. If you dont know what the insides are made of and how they are laid out and why,then how can you make a logical desicion about the amp other than it sounds good to you? It's whats under the hood that speaks for the amp. Not what your hearing. Im not trying to bash Marshall. I am bashing Marshall for not standing behind what they build. A warrant center means nothing if the amps are so poorly constructed that no service center wants to work on them. In some cases they dont. They pull your old board out and throw it in the garbage. The service center them gets a new board from Marshall. And the cycle just continues. Your amp didnt get fixed. You got a new board and are living on borrowed time. But until this happens to you personally you wont know the truth. The DSL and TSL amps both are titled in Marshall's own schematic as (THE RATS NEST) This should tell you some thing is wrong

13. JTyson

JTyson Active Member

Agreed
    I do think it would be tough to build a JVM using older construction methods, thats a pretty complex beast, but it would be nice to get rid of board-mounted tube sockets, which I hate. Its tough to have a lot of complexity without boards of some kind in there to keep the price reasonable.
    Mike Fortins Meathead amps are about as complex as they come, but he still keeps the tubes mounted to the chassis, while using boards where they are a neccesity. Others are doing the same

14. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

Yes! Like any big company!

I love them too, great sound, bla bla bla...
    But profit is always on top of the list.

Also, stuff like the plastic handles. Now, after years you would think stuff would evolve, become better with experience. So how the FUCK can you explain the shitty brittle POS plastic used as handles? Maybe they want to sell more accessories, so make it BREAKABLE, so the customer is forced to buy a new one.
    Wait... that is smart. They DID evolve!
    But keep in mind, PROFIT is always on top of the list...

15. looktoyourorb

looktoyourorb New Member

If I followed that line of thinking I would have given up on the following brands:

- Fender (Crappy 50's AVRI)
    - Gibson (Crappy LP x 2)
    - Mesa Boogie (AKA the ever blowing amp)

However I do not tend to judge manufacturers on 1 or 2 examples. Marshall are like all other manufacturers - they entirely depend on the quality of the components they get - and believe me finding good ones is getting hard since China has killed all industries and is not giving a crap about what they make anymore.

16. diesect20022000

yeah my Framus' have pcb's but the tube sockets are hard mounted as are the knobs.

I'm not saying they need to be indestructible either (for others remarks on here) but they could still have a LARGE profit margin and increase their quality standards a few notches as well. plastic nuts NO, board mounted knobs and sockets NO and stop under specing components as well. They don't have to be solid titanium with all orange drop and mustard caps etc. Just don't place EVERYTHING on the boards and make nearly everything out of plastic is really all i'm asking...and properly in spec components.

JTyson likes this.
  17. JTyson

JTyson Active Member

I heard a Framus for the first time (in person) about 2 weeks ago, I was very impressed with the tone and build of it. He had got it used and was not sure about it at the time, he's a believer now. Very nice amp. He has all EMG stuff in his guitars, so I had to hear it with them only, but it sounded great. I know you wanted one of those for a long time, I see why :naughty:

18. diesect20022000

Yeah they're fantastic. I WANTED an MKIII as well (or 2205) but the guy i was going to trade with backed out on me so i'm still marshall les right now but an MKIII or even a 4500 would be nice to have again too.

19. Robert Arthur

Robert Arthur Active Member

Why sweat a few issues like this when they are trying to sell a 1 watt head for almost $800..I can't believe no one is concerned about THAT...seems rdiculous to me when a 5 watt head can be bought for $349..someone tell me why I would want to spend twice as much one a 1 watter...

redscott131 likes this.
  20. KH Guitar Freak

KH Guitar Freak New Member

My personal experience with Marshalls...

1) The footswitch on my TSL602 failed on me twice. Needed to send it in for repairs both times. Third time around, crossed fingers so far so good...

2) Bought a Marshall Vintage 2466 head. One of the FETs for the loop had blown. The dealer I bought it from agreed to cover the cost of repair works. Got a local tech to repair the part, and it works ok now...