>

TSL 100 / Never Again!!!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by triodeamplification, Mar 16, 2012.

1. triodeamplification

triodeamplification New Member

I have had enough of the wonderful lack of customer support and the low down lemons that Marshall is building these days. I would have expected this from Fender but not Marshall. I paid a small fortune for a new TSL 100 10 years ago and to this day it sits in the closet because the main board was and has been acknowledged by Marshall them selves to be defective and conductive causing bias drift and other problems through out the main board. If they were in the US there would have been a Class Action Lawsuit over this amp and my $1,400.00 dollars i spent on this amp.

As well the Marshall Haze is the latest in another amp that is prone to catching on fire and many of the board wire connections themselves are not made right. They make intermitant connection between the channels

Marshall! The last great amp you ever made was the JCM 800. Everything MADE since including the JCM 900 is is some sorry work and solder baths that dont even get enough solder on the components to even stay together

I have had my 2 cents worth because thats all Marshall amps today are worth. What ever amp you have now you wont be loving it so much after you realize that you really dont get much for your hard earned money

What you will get is screwed/

2. Söulcaster

Söulcaster Well-Known Member VIP Member

Fortunately my experiences with Marshall amps has been quite the opposite.

Happy trails

3. JTyson

JTyson Active Member

1400.00?? YIKES !
    Hmm... I think you got screwed before you ever plugged it in..
    Sorry, I never cared for the TSL's tone, I flipped one after retubing and biasing it in less than a week for 800.00 that looked brand new. I do understand your frustration though. I'd never buy another one because there are other models that smoke 'em. Some of them are new ones :naughty: The JVM's kill the TSL's in every dept and have been stone reliable for me personally.
    Just sayin..

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  4. Macro

Macro Well-Known Member

The land of cheesesteaks and soft pretzels
    My TSL issues are well documented here, however they are limited to minor issues...and I only paid like $500 for mine. I've had other more reliable amps it they didn't sound as good. I tried....really tried to be a Boogie guy in the 90's....but when you play them for a decade then plug into a Marshall, the tone is undeniable.

5. richieG

richieG New Member

I agree the dsl and tsl problems were a joke and is a sour part of marshals history.

Over here in Australia the fix was to get a new board and the cost of the replacement part was 800 bucks. Seriously.

I agree the older amps were made better. But the new ones are really just a representation of price competitiveness. Trouble is the vast majority of people do not want to pay big bucks for an amp to be made the same as the old days

At least marshals sound great.

6. triodeamplification

Well i had finally had to vent. Really Marshall should have honored and replaced those known bad boards. And as far as quality goes on any of the new amps there is so many errors in soldering. I mean if you work on them day after day then you get a better picture of whats really inside. Im not exagerating,i feel like im working on toys from walmart. That how bad the quality of the components and soldering is. Your amp tech will tell you the truth. He knows good made amps and cheap ones as far as build quality goes. These are all hybrid amps chock full of transistors anyway. None of them are all tube amps

Adrian R likes this.
  7. Robert Arthur

Robert Arthur Active Member

I'm sad about yur experience, but my DSL has been a real soldier, and the new class 5 head has been apart by me just to know what it's about and roll tubes. The verdict? Nice piece of consumer instrument grade gear with cheap tubes initially. A real gem for $349. What gets me is 1 watt for $799, That's an amp issue I can't fix....

jwebb1970 and Georgiatec like this.
  8. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Too bad. I know that in the beginning of production, some of those TSL and DSL boards were down right shitty. Did you use your warranty to get Marshall to replace the board?

If you are gonna buy a used TSL or DSL, you really gotta talk to Marshall and/or a very knowledgeable and trusted tech before you buy.

Oh yeah, the DSL401 blows because it's effects loop only accepts rack gear (the signal is too hot coming out of the loop for stompboxes). You have to mod the loop in order to run stompboxes.

medicjg likes this.
  9. DSL 50

DSL 50 Active Member

Go buy a used one for $600

10. Robert Arthur

Robert Arthur Active Member

You can front load stomp boxes like any other amp. But I would never gig my 401, when I've got the JCM800. However, I gigged my Class 5 head/1922 cab combo last night for the first time. I'll be leaving that heavy JCM800 stack at home for a while....

11. TheDon

TheDon New Member

Wow, in 2000, my TSL 601 was in a fire then hosed down with water and still works fine to this day, other than having to replace a preamp tube a couple years back.

Sorry to hear about your luck

12. CAPDUNN

CAPDUNN New Member

My 6100 has been a workhorse and I gig over 40 times a year, every year since the 1980's. When I bought my first 6100 back in 1992, I put the 800 in the closet and sold it a few years later because the 6100 was way better and much more versatile.

13. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 In Memorandum VIP Member

In my opinion the DSL100 MLB is the best of the DSL's if you're not tech savy. they're flimsier than the older models yes but they worked out the design kinks that caused issues all but the 8/4 gorunding issues anyway and that's something that will need done to every DSL out there if you use any impedance out other than the 16.

14. jcm800gridlock

jcm800gridlock Well-Known Member

A nice TSL Head local Craigslist $300 minus tubes...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
    Robert Arthur likes this.
  15. triodeamplification

I sold that amp last night. That was the third one i have had. It sounded great but i had to replace the OT with a Magnetics Components OT. I kept the tubes and sold just the amp to a real great guy who is a pretty fantastic guitar player. Im using lower wattage amps to fill my head with these days

16. big dooley

big dooley Well-Known Member VIP Member

thank you for the "opinion" mr troll...

17. diesel king

diesel king New Member

I owned a DSL from new for 10 years and never had any problems, likewise my 2203KK has been good as gold

Robert Arthur likes this.
  18. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 In Memorandum VIP Member

they're hit or miss. all three of my DSL100's had problems but they were all easily fixed by me or my tech for little money.

19. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

I once tried to run my 900 over with a piece of large farm machinery. Broke the front axel...

Roadburn and Söulcaster like this.
  20. 357mag

357mag Member

I wouldn't call the poster a troll. He's upset at spending a lot of money and getting a faulty product. He's got the right to vent. Thing is if you say to yourself that you're not gonna play through Marshalls anymore and decide to switch to another amp, you lose your tone.

There is no better amp than a Marshall if you're in the rock, hard rock, metal, and neoclassical genre.