Trying to get a custom tolex Marshall 2525H...it isn't easy!

C-4

Reaction score
I have been seeing custom tolex'd by Marshall amps, like the 2525H and sometimes with a matching cab on line at English music dealers. I called them and tried to buy one, and was told that Marshall has forbade English Marshall dealers from selling Marshalls to US residents, based on distribution policy.

I have called several Marshall dealers in the USA trying to find a dealer who would custom order a one-off Marshall for me, as they are selling their version of custom tolex'd Marshalls and they won't do it.

This has been going on now for over 2 months. I called Marshall in Bletchley this morning and they gave me a contact to see what they may be able to do for me here in the USA. On line, Marshall offers this service, but trying to find a dealer who will oblige me is like finding a vintage Plexi in a haystack!

I have wanted a custom colored Marshall of my own design for some time and I want it done by Marshall, not some aftermarket place.

Has anyone out there gone through this and possibly have some advice to offer?
It would be appreciated.

If and when I hear from the contact Marshall offered me, if there is any results worth typing here, I will offer it.

El Gringo

Reaction score
Have you reached out to Andertons ? https://www.andertons.co.uk/ Awhile back prior to 2019 I wanted a second 2555X half stack and contacted them via E-Mail and had a nice chat and I was told they could help me out . I would have to pay the import duty fees and custom tariffs and such . Next issue was that the UK made Marshalls are set up for 220v . So that would have to get sorted out for the 110v in the US . If you can get this accomplished this will cost plenty $ . I wound up getting my second 2555X half stack from Sweetwater (I ordered in early August of 2019 and got it in just before Christmas 2019 ) . Maybe you could try contacting them and speak with them if they can help you out ? www.sweetwater.com Best Wishes

Last edited:

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be prepared to wait. I would guess welll over a year.

Also I can’t imagine any Marshall dealer risking the line by shipping an amp to some yahoo in the US trying to avoid taxes and fees. Why on earth would they do that?

C-4

Reaction score
Have you reached out to Andertons ? https://www.andertons.co.uk/ Awhile back prior to 2019 I wanted a second 2555X half stack and contacted them via E-Mail and had a nice chat and I was told they could help me out . I would have to pay the import duty fees and custom tariffs and such . Next issue was that the UK made Marshalls are set up for 220v . So that would have to get sorted out for the 110v in the US . If you can get this accomplished this will cost plenty $ . I wound up getting my second 2555X half stack from Sweetwater (I ordered in early August of 2019 and got it in just before Christmas 2019 ) . Maybe you could try contacting them and speak with them if they can help you out ? www.sweetwater.com Best Wishes
Thank you.
Yes, I contacted Andertons, and was old that British and EU dealers could not sell to USA customers. I even tried to get one with British voltage as a voltage converter is no big deal.
I will try Sweetwater, but they haven't been any help in the past when I called them.

C-4

Reaction score

Also I can’t imagine any Marshall dealer risking the line by shipping an amp to some yahoo in the US trying to avoid taxes and fees. Why on earth would they do that?
I'm not trying to avoid any fees, VAT, or import taxes.
I just want the amp.

I have contacted a cab head shell builder, who I am awaiting a quote from, if he can do it.

El Gringo

Reaction score

There is no way to avoid Customs as it will surely pass thru there and be assessed Customs fees and Duty fees .

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no way to avoid Customs as it will surely pass thru there and be assessed Customs fees and Duty fees .
The personal use customs exemption is $1,600 (+ 3% on the next $1,000) coming from most countries like those of the EU.
I squeaked by with just local state sales tax when I imported my 6101 from Ireland.
US retailers of Marshall gear have to pay customs, which is part of the price mark up, but it's mostly more expensive here from retailer collusion to jack prices.

El Gringo

Reaction score
The personal use customs exemption is $1,600 (+ 3% on the next $1,000) coming from most countries like those of the EU.
I squeaked by with just local state sales tax when I imported my 6101 from Ireland.
US retailers of Marshall gear have to pay customs, which is part of the price mark up, but it's mostly more expensive here from retailer collusion to jack prices.
Thank You for the info .

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a source for/evidence of this?
Every US Marshall retailer charges exactly the same price, and they all raise their prices (or have the occasional sale) at the same time.
Obviously, part of the distribution agreement with Marshall.
I don't have a copy of the documentation, but it shouldn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out it's not just cost plus markup.
i.e. - collusion.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i.e. - collusion
Or they are simply all responding to scheduled manufacturer price hikes? I work for a distributor—we used to hold quotes for 90 days, now it’s 6. Gas is going up about 8 cents a day here in NH.

If you want to point fingers at why our favorite toys are constantly going up in price look to your elected leaders, this is 100% their mess. Hold them accountable

C-4

Reaction score
After calling Marshall USA yesterday, I was told that currently, due to parts shortages, and the slow moving supply of parts, they re not doing any USA orders for a one-off custom covered tolex amp at this time.

I was told to wait about a year and see what happens.

I decided that since the NAMM is coming up next month, and due to this being Marshall's 60th Anniversary year, that I would wait and see if they offer something I would like.

Personally, I would love a JMD-1 amp head, with an EL-34 power section that had all the amp sounds from the JTM 45 thru the Jubilee. To me, that would be ideal, but I'm not holding my breath.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or they are simply all responding to scheduled manufacturer price hikes? I work for a distributor—we used to hold quotes for 90 days, now it’s 6. Gas is going up about 8 cents a day here in NH.

If you want to point fingers at why our favorite toys are constantly going up in price look to your elected leaders, this is 100% their mess. Hold them accountable
1652965554231.png 1652965598043.png
GC vs. Thomann UK - 859 GBP today is about $1,068.
This difference is not related to politics and gas prices.
Yes, it's a distribution agreement between Marshall and their US retailers.
Yes, there are costs associated with transportation and customs.
No, I don't think they would be closer in price if "my" elected leaders were different.
Marshall and their US retailers work together to determine price points = collusion.

Love your music man, but you get a bug up your ass about the strangest things sometimes...

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
GC vs. Thomann UK - 859 GBP today is about $1,068.
This difference is not related to politics and gas prices.
Yes, it's a distribution agreement between Marshall and their US retailers.
Yes, there are costs associated with transportation and customs.
No, I don't think they would be closer in price if "my" elected leaders were different.
Marshall and their US retailers work together to determine price points = collusion.

Love your music man, but you get a bug up your ass about the strangest things sometimes...
Because I work for one of the largest global distributors in the world—this is my life, I deal with this every day.

We did not have these issues 3 years ago—transportation costs were manageable, distribution agreements were still in place and humans were just as ‘greedy’.

Moony

Reaction score
It would be cheaper to just grab a regular one and re-tolex it with what you like.
There are a lot of tutorials out there how to tolex.

Latest posts