Try one of these..

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by ampeq, Feb 17, 2021.

1. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Next time you are trying to decide between a GB or V30 or CB, try one of these. The Eminence GB128. It is fast becoming my go to speaker for many reasons. It’s a fairly light speaker, it handles ok power at 50w, it only costs $75, and it has a better/ smoother sound than all the above. (At least to my ears.) I’m going to try mixing it with other speakers in a 2-12” cab to see what I get. I think it will be promising. If I could find the same sound in a 100w speaker I’d swap them all. Some of you guys know what I’m talking about, if you have tried these let them know what you think.

FogDweller and FutureProf88 like this.
  2. 5stringsdown

5stringsdown Member

In your opinion how does it compare to the Celestion GB?
    Is it the same eq wise in a general sense?
    I had a gb128 in a Victoria and loved it....but the Vic is a fender style amp.......been wondering how they would work with my incoming SV20....

3. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I like it much better than the GB so far. I have it in a Ceriatone 2202 combo right now. That is like a JCM800 for the most part. It has the right power handling for this amp, it can take 50w and the amp is only 20w. I also tried it in my Carvin X100b and it sounded great. (Somewhat Fenderish but better cleans.) Even in the open cab of the combo it works great, and this speaker is new and needs to break in. I’m going to order another one to play around with and try some mixing in a 2-12” cab, the one I have is staying right where it is. I put this speaker in the same setup as all the others and it was best by quite a bit. My others were, 75wCB, GB, V30, ET65, ET90, Governor, BR12, and Retro30, the ET65 was not bad but still not as good. Even the GB’s in the 2-12” cab closed back do not beat this speaker. If you liked it before I would say go for it.

If nothing else it’s a great neutral speaker for a lot of stuff, especially when testing to find what you’re after.

5stringsdown likes this.
  4. What?

What? Well-Known Member

It sounds too dark to me. I don't really like smooth speakers, and I don't equate them with better. To me smooth = no highs. Problem there is that most speakers which aren't smooth have a peaky icepick upper mid response rather than a broad response up top.

Trapland likes this.
  5. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I can add more high's with no problem from the amp, but I can't get rid of ice picky tones from the speaker. I want a speaker that plays just what the amp puts out and doesn't color it like most do. A good amp you can control well does not need to get it's tone from the speaker, that tone is added in after the amp is done making it's sound. It's simply one more thing in the chain that is hard to control. Everything added into the system changes the tone in some way, pedals, attenuators, speakers / cabs, etc. I like things as simple as possible, the amp must have everything on board it needs to achieve the tone / volume I want and the speaker must bring it out without coloration. Not sure what you used to get no high's, in the amps I'v tried them in I got plenty of high's & lows. I tend to find either to much high end or to muddy low end and thus never really happy with most speakers. I thought these sounded really good, especially for 1/2 the price of most. I'm going to look into some of the other speakers they make that are like these. I know Celestion does not really have what I want, I settle for some, but am never really happy.

You may like the ET65, I liked it also but not as well. It's pretty good though in a lot of stuff, the ET90 is a little more "stiff" more spikey. To each his own I guess.

MarshallDog likes this.
  6. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

Just a side note...I was reading about that Eminence speaker awhile back, and it was mentioned that Eminence uses old growth trees for its paper pulp cones (longer wood fibers). The old Celestion Pulsonic cones used the same (pre 1973), and I also read somewhere that this is why, when they recreated the newer Celestion Green and Blue cones, they didn't have the same character as the originals. Just throwing it out there. There is a lot of other factors that change the tone, the voicecoil material, etc...but perhaps the Eminence character comes from the longer wood fibers that are in the old growth pulp mixture......I was just bored so I thought I would share this.
    Nailing the tone of a 68-73 Pulsonic cone would be a beautiful thing for guitar tones everywhere.
    I am a die hard Celestion fan, but may try one of the Eminence for fun. They really do sound great in some of the sound samples I have heard. Just thowing it out there.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    FogDweller and GIBSON67 like this.
  7. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

I've been shopping speakers for awhile. When I do make the purchase, I want to get it right. Currently, the front-runner is the Jensen P12Q.

8. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Why? I’ve never tried a Jensen.

9. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

@ampeq
    Would love to try that speaker. All other comments I've read about it are almost identical to yours! I just wish it was available in 16Ω.
    Thanx 4 Sharon,
    Gene

10. IOSEPHVS

Check out this video. It's a good example. Not only does the P12Q sound better to me than the others, it's about half the cost of the other AlNiCos.

2L man likes this.
  11. Gene Ballzz

If purchased at AES https://www.tubesandmore.com it's $10 cheaper than anywhere else, with free shipping! And then if you can convince CE Distribution (same company as AES, under a different umbrella) https://www.cedist.com that you are an amp builder/repair guy (very easy to convince them) and open an account, it'll save another $21.31 after shipping but before tax. CE never gives free shipping, no matter the size of the order, but doing the math usually has their prices a bit lower! So at CE, $132.87 before tax.

Just My :2c:,
    Gene

IOSEPHVS likes this.
  12. IOSEPHVS

Thanks for the info.

13. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I don't mean to be spammy, but I have a pair of P12Q's (not the vintage ones) that I don't really use if anyone is interested. I saw you guys talking about them, and it made me remember that I have a pair squirrelled away under a bed.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  14. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

That Black Bird and P12Q sounded to muffled to me. But then again the V30 sounded good and I really don’t like the V30.

15. uselessoldman

uselessoldman Member

Never found a Jensen yet I liked over anything else I already had but the Eminence GS128s are a great speaker specially for recording when there not fighting against more powerful competition. They do echo/reverb dark/ambience effects really well which is what I have primarily used them for cos they are warm and smooth compared to (many) others I have. A good pair of speakers to have around - I always have speakers in pairs cos in a 4x12 cab speakers just sound better 2x12 cabs are OK but just not the same as a 4x12. I also found they like MDF cabs, like Chinese V30s. Yes they are 8ohms so mine are wired parallel to 4ohms cos I find amps like 4 ohms best just me, but I think the lower the ohms the more body/fuller sound you get - especially when on loud - higher ohms cleaner lighter tones when needed. Unlike V30s which I prefer to wire with higher 8/16 ohms at 4 ohms V30s were dull??? maybe just me and my old warn out ears

16. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

How about the V128 speaker Eminence has, anyone try those? A guy at Eminence told me they were very similar to the GB128, but they can take 120w. This makes them a good combo speaker if they do sound like the GB128.

Another note maybe someone can help me with, all my favorite speakers seem to have “large dust caps”, why is this? Is it just a coincidence or is there something I’m missing?

17. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I’ve been eye balling the GB128’s for about a year Gene, man am I glad I finally tried one. I’m trying to find others like it now, but with more power handling. Also speakers to blend with them in a 2-12” cab. I do see a lot of love for them and I can seem why.

18. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I TRY to like "off brand" speakers such as Eminence, and...apologies to those concerned...Scumback, etc, but my taste in speakers for a given amp are formed by hearing the classic combinations and I never find that an alternative offering does it for me. All my speakers are either EVM-12Ls or certain Celestions we all know well.

Every time I tried an Eminence speaker I was like, "That's nice. I'm going to put the Celestion back in now." Same for any other I've tried.

My expectations have been formed by 50 years of classic rock and roll. That has formed a lot of resistance in me to the notion of trying out other speakers.

I freely admit, my position here is a bit closed minded. But it is what it is.

19. Gene Ballzz

@Matthews Guitars
    I'm not certain that we could call "Eminence" an "off brand" per se. It would not be surprising to find that they've made and sold many more speakers than Celestion! With that said though, my favorite speakers with almost any amp tend to be greenback 25s and creamback 65s. Unfortunately, while they the best I've found so far, they are as stellar in open backed combos as they are in closed back boxes and I would love something that performed in open backs, as well as my faves perform in closed backs. I'm likely looking for a unicorn!
    Just Sharon'
    Gene

20. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I get you. But so far I still find that I like the Celestions and EVs above everything else I've tried, for the most part.

My Fender Pro Reverb is an amaing amp and I've tried other speakers in it that are "better" in several ways, but I put the original Jensen made speakers back into it because they sound more "correct" for that amp. You get what I'm saying. It's what sounds "most classic" that appeals most to me, most of the time.