>

Tried earplugs today while playing the 2203x

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by shredless, May 4, 2021.

1. Justin Whitstine

Justin Whitstine Member

wrap the speaker cab with memory foam :)

tce63 likes this.
  2. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

SC20 in 5 watt mode?

800s and late 70's JMPs seem to be matched to the G12-65.

Brite cap and peaker cap mods?

tce63 likes this.
  3. Ronquest

Ronquest New Member

Hi, what do you do with your amp? Home play, gigs or a mix? Do you have a home studio setup? Sorry i don't know your context. I notice peoples ears change with exposure/degradation, some get less sensitive to the highs and others can't be in the room with them. I can't hardly watch some of my favorite youtube players because they've gone too far to the high side. Maybe they're just used to a band mix, but that's not pleasant at home, in my opinion. I can't take the harsh highs.
    • EQ in the loop
    • Speaker change
    • Mod the amp, remove treble bypass caps and or bleed off treble with caps.
    • Put your cab in a closet and mic it, then use your monitors or headphones.
    • Replace your 4x12 with a 1x12 cab (like a 150W Redback) or ad a switch so you can run just one speaker vs 4 (with appropriate wattage speaker) If you were careful, a 97db Creamback 65w.
    • Reactive load with built in IR and run to monitors.
    • Get a different amp
    Mic & cab in the closet is my current favorite. Suhr Reactive Load IR into DAW with reverb if I need to be quiet.

I know some would never mod a $3000 amp or a vintage, I understand but if your not enjoying it, what's the sense? I'd mod Hendrix's Super Lead if that's what I wanted,....actually, I'd sell it.

Kinkless Tetrode likes this.
  4. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

2203x has a treble knob, a presence knob, an fx loop which means you can put an EQ there if you like, and the guitar should have a treble knob. How with all these treble reduction circuits can this amp be too bright?
    Maybe need to approach this from a different perspective and or possibly get rid of the mods and put it back to stock.

5. yafal

yafal Member

Hi. Search "compensated earplugs" on google. Etymotic, Vic Firth, several brands of the same thing. Pretty clever gadget, attenuates 20 dB or so without cutting the high end. Yo just hear the same, but 20 dB (a LOT) quieter. I use it all the time in a loud band, with excelent results.

shredless likes this.
  6. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

They're OK - but if you look at the frequency curves - there's always some extra high frequency attenuation even with so-called "musician's ear-plugs".....

7. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

It could be the guitar too, unless it's that way with every guitar. A2 magnets in the pickups or if running high output pickups some thing like a DMZ Tone Zone could help a bright guitar. 800's are bright amps but it should be tamable without ear plugs I would think. But with a bright guitar maybe not without deadening the harmonics too much.

anitoli likes this.
  8. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

Put a HUGE snubber cap on v1, or at the "fizz cap" on the PI.

Buy dark speakers like the Emi. Swampthang or Delta Pro 12A.

9. shredless

shredless Well-Known Member

Tell me more...what value cap? You say on v1...where to where? Thanks!

10. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Add beam blockers to
    And that's their intended use, in a loud band or concert setting. I don't see the need to use earplugs when playing at home, when you have total control of the environment and volume, but hey, that's just me.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  11. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

Most 2204/2203's have a grid to plate cap on v1, which if I remember is like 1000pF?
    A "snubber cap" is used to control oscillations. But one of the side effects if you make that cap too large, is that it rolls of high end.

The typical "fizz cap" at the PI (c18) is usually 47pf, and a lot of modders increase this to 100-120pf.
    I've experimented with much larger values with varying degrees of success.

shredless likes this.
  12. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Forget modding your amp just to get rid of some unwanted high end . It’s all about speaker type , position and volume of course . When I say speaker position I’m talking in relation to your head . If you’re for example standing fairly close up to your say 2x12 horizontal speaker cab and it’s on the floor the high end will completely pass you and sound dull . If you place the speaker cab with exactly the same amp settings on a table or worktop the sound will instantly be loads brighter . If you then say sit on a chair so the speaker is at about face height it will probably be painful in the high end . Hope this makes sense , give it a try mate .

13. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

This by the way is also why I believe to get the full balanced spectrum of high and low end and mids you need to stand in front of a full stack .

anitoli likes this.