Tried a JCM900 Reissue ,........sounded better or my imagination ?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Kelia, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Hey guys,......I tried a mint 2008 JCM900 DR reissue yesterday at my friends house
    and the amp sounded very good compared to the 1990 I had ,...it had a nice gain
    with great punch and lots of bottom end ,...did Marshall fixed the lack of bass in this amp or because the caps are newer the amp sounds better ?...It has a quad of Tung Sol 6L6's.

Also ,...someone was saying that the Dual reverb is all tube from 0 to 10 gain wise
    and SS from 11 to 20 ,.........is it how it works ?

Oh ,as a side note ,..he bought the amp from a Studio but all four of the chassis screws are missing, anyone knows of a good source to get those ?...........tx

JacksonCharvelAddict and Kutt like this.
  2. Marshall Boogie

Marshall Boogie Well-Known Member

0-10 is the clean channel and yes it is without diodes. 11-20 is the dirty channel and that has diodes (look close it is how that amp has the channels numbered), you don't get to run the gain 1-20 without switching channels.

3. Marshall Boogie

Marshall Boogie Well-Known Member

and to call that solid state is underserving the amp....the diodes kick the tubes in the teeth....the gain is still all tube(change tubes and you can tell the gain changes)

4. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Thanks !............I tell you ,it sounded better than the one I had a few years back
    before I did the Gravenmade 900 mod.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. Gutch220

Gutch220 Well-Known Member

Here are some bolts: https://www.amprepairparts.com/marshallhardware.htm (Part MCB-4 halfway down page)

6. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Congrats man. I can't speak to the original 1990's versions, but I too snagged a reissue recently. It's a 2015. Dead nuts mint. I put a quad of 6L6's in it. An EQ in the loop does give it some extra teeth but it holds well on its own. They want to be played loudly.

Here's mine out of the cab getting ready to retube/bias. You might be hearing more low end because of the 6L6's, assuming the older one you're thinking of had EL34's.

upload_2020-10-17_12-18-38.png

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  7. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

8. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Nice !!.............well I'm sure I'm not dreaming ,..the one I've tried yesterday
    was better and fatter sounding than my stock 1990 .

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Kutt and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  9. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

This has got to be a mistake. The internet clearly states all 900s are total garbage.

are you sure you don’t have a DSL?

10. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Haha!!.................that's good !

11. Gutch220

Gutch220 Well-Known Member

So I guess the latest reissues came with 6L6's?
    Don't forget the bias adjustment, and speakers will have a large affect on tone no matter what knobs you turn on the amp itself. I don't think I'm telling you something new.

CreepBG, Mitchell Pearrow and Kelia like this.
  12. Tonz

Tonz Member

Well, this post was perfect timing. I was going to post and ask if anyone has tried or bought the JCM900 reissue. My local GC has an older JCM900 and I am really digging the amp and wouldn't mind adding one to the stable at some point (as well as a few other Marshalls - these things are very addicting \m/ ) I wanted to know how the build quality was as well as the effects loop? Is it worth the extra money over the original series?

Kelia and K2JLX like this.
  13. K2JLX

K2JLX Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a 2016 reissue with Marshall branded ‘5881’ tubes in it (they appear to be TAD 6L6WGC-STRs upon closer examination however).

In any event the amplifier rips, esp as other posters have mentioned; putting an eq in the loop and adjusting the loop level properly.

Built like a brick shit house, quality and wiring is excellent and what one would expect for the price they ask.

14. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Haven't tried the effects loop on the reissue so maybe someone could chime in on this !

15. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Those 6L6GC are exactly whats in the amp I've tried,.....think I saw Tung Sol iirc

16. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Well-Known Member

From my understanding....read the schematic along time ago when I repaired one....and my memory sucks lol......but.....im pretty sure. On the 900 DR the guitar goes in hits SS for both clean and dirty and then into v1a which is the only tube gain stage then v1b which is the CF stage V2 is reverb send/recovery and v3 the PI then Power tubes.
    SS input stage or not,my freinds 2x12 50w el34 jcm900 DR sounds really good.....i put a vintage mullard ecc83 in v1 groove tubes ecc83s in v2 and tele flatplate ecc83 in v3 with groove el34m Power tubes and biased it up. I think they sound nice.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  17. Kutt

They ship with 5881's. But as you may know 6L6's can be used in place with zero modifications. Only a routine rebias would be needed.

18. Kutt

The loop on my 2015 reissue is solid. No volume drop or other coloration that I can hear.

As far as the value, my logic is this- I got mine used and dead mint. It may have been priced a tad higher than what a used 1990's model would have been, though I'm not sure because I haven't seen a museum piece 90s head these days. Thing is I don't have to be concerned with 30 year old wear n' tear maintenance costs. For me it was a no brainer to get a reissue.

Here is a gut shot of mine. I haven't seen the guts of an original so I wouldn't be able to compare and contrast. On a side note, it has a physical reverb tank just like the originals. No cutting corners with weakass digital.

upload_2020-10-18_6-28-20.png

19. Tonz

Tonz Member

Kurt, Thanks for the Info. Its good to hear the quality is there, which is probably worth the higher price. I'm not sure there would be enough interest but a Studio/Mini JCM900 head/combo would be pretty cool, might as well throw in a Studio JVM while I'm at it. lol

Mitchell Pearrow and Kelia like this.
  20. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

My friend got the reissue for the same price of a 1990 and it sounds great with
    lots of bottom end and also tight !