Trey (Phish) explaining why vintage hw tube marshalls (and others) are the best amps.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
reminds me of one time after a Grateful Dead show where I was feed shrooms non stop I had difficulty managing the curbs walking back after the show . I also tripped /fell/pushed into some bushes as well . In 95 during the last tour we were doing the paper blotter and my big mouth said it wasn't working . Of course I was given another half for a total of one and a half and what a trip that was . During the first set we consumed 14 doobs (3 of us ) then during the second set security kept flashing a flashlight next to me that a fellow was actually smoking cigs (yuck) and my 2 buddies kept telling me to shutup and I was agitated and the security guy comes up to me and says it is not for me but the fellow next to me and then my big mouth goes on to tell him that we smoked them all and we didn't have anymore .It was so funny during the second set as we are all just sitting there well behaved like we were in church . After the show we go back to my home as the guys wanted to finish there beers and stuff , we pissed off my favorite neighbour next door as he complained to me the next day , to which I told him if it bothered him that much he should have confronted us on the spot , to which he said no thanks (pus^& ) Then I report to work that morning at 7:30 to do my delivery route still feeling it and then I smacked into the back of a parked truck at the loading dock and I called it into my boss and the place where this happened wanted to interview me , to which I called my boss and he said to me and I quote "get out of there now " That stuff didn't wear off until 11 am that morning .
Ah yes...the "Gool Old Days"...when we weren't GOOD and wasn't OLD.

(BTW, I think that bush pulled you)

usablefiber

Reaction score
There was a guy i used to go to in new jersey who made and sold his amps, they were fantastic amps and he was a great tech who personally always felt that ptp was way better

wavytech

Reaction score
Amps with turret or eyelet boards are referred to as PTP. PCB stands for Printed Circuit Board, which implies that the circuit is printed on a metal substrate and etched away. PCB is used extensively in the computer industry to lower labor costs by stuffing all the components and then wave soldering the entire board at once. Neither technique in of itself contributes to tone or construction quality. PTP designs are generally easier to service because it is not necessary to remove boards to replace components or get access to internal nodes. They hold up better to high voltage, heat, and tremendous speaker vibration without causing cold solder joints which can cause intermittent failures when an amp gets hot. Early JCM800s use PCBs but mount the pots and tube sockets on the chassis which avoids these issues. Later Marshalls and Fenders began mounting the pots and tubes on PCBs which made them less reliable. The components changed as well, mostly for the worse, but it was the evolving circuit designs that changed the character of the sound the most.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
PCB stands for Printed Circuit Board, which implies that the circuit is printed on a metal substrate and etched away. PCB is used extensively in the computer industry to lower labor costs by stuffing all the components and then wave soldering the entire board at once. Neither technique in of itself contributes to tone or construction quality. PTP designs are generally easier to service because it is not necessary to remove boards to replace components or get access to internal nodes. They hold up better to high voltage, heat, and tremendous speaker vibration without causing cold solder joints which can cause intermittent failures when an amp gets hot. Early JCM800s use PCBs but mount the pots and tube sockets on the chassis which avoids these issues. Later Marshalls and Fenders began mounting the pots and tubes on PCBs which made them less reliable. The components changed as well, mostly for the worse, but it was the evolving circuit designs that changed the character of the sound the most.

This is all spot on. :cheers:

DaDoc

Reaction score
Ah, I'm so glad I didn't have to go through all the crap others have. Les Paul-cable-amp-cab. I used to plug in my wah, flanger, delay, etc for each song that used it in the cover band, then I unplugged it after the song was over. No needless handwringing over the cable impedance, cable run, ground loops, separating the reverb and delay from the main cab, etc. etc.

Sometimes you get combinations that just work great...I always point to Jimi Band Of Gyspsies tone, or to Humble Pie Rockin the Fillmore if you plug straight in.

I can't think of anyone who's surpassed those two for a live tone.

Honorable mention to Blue Oyster Cult's live album "On Your Feet or On Your Knees", too.

I spent years plugging and unplugging effects pedals with batteries, for me it became kind of a PITA. I eventually got a powered board and loved it, and when my pedal array got bigger I went to a Pedaltrain board with a Voodoo Labs power supply. Love it, and I figure the money I save on batteries will eventually pay for the powered board! :D

If one is into plugging straight in that's cool, but I like my effects.

If I'm doing an open mike or jam night at a club I'll take along a smaller non-powered pedalboard with minimal pedals so's I don't have to spend too much time plugging in a bunch of stuff while people are waiting. :cheers:

Oh, and Blue Oyster Cult IS a great band! :thumb:

Last edited:

DaDoc

Reaction score
Warren Haynes is heads and tails above Trey any day of the week or month or year or century for that matter !

Warren's a helluva great player, and an old hometown friend of mine, we both grew up in Asheville N.C..

One night he was at a local club standing in for another guitarist who couldn't be there, and got an offer that eventually sent him to where he is now..He's done pretty darn good for himself!

El Gringo

Reaction score
I like Soldano amps a lot !

I wish I had bought one back when they were more affordable![/QUOTE]
The Soldano SLO-100 was just reissued and they are fetching $3999 (I had to correct myself as I first wrote $3500 ) for the head alone . If I did not have my 2555X's I would for sure have Soldano as they are a fire breathing high gain amp , with independent pre amp gain which allows manageable levels with rich saturated tones .This amp is built with top grade military -grade components . This is a well designed and well built amp with top notch parts and components . This amp is a winner !

El Gringo

Reaction score
Warren's a helluva great player, and an old hometown friend of mine, we both grew up in Asheville N.C..

One night he was at a local club standing in for another guitarist who couldn't be there, and got an offer that eventually sent him to where he is now..He's done pretty darn good for himself!
I just know him from playing in the Allmans when they reformed the 2nd time in 1989 , and I fell in love with his playing and his monster slide , which for me I liked better than Derek Trucks slide . Also having seen Gov't Mule multiple times it's just a monster grand slam home run for me . Les Paul into Marshall/ Soldano amps is a perfect recipe for tonal nirvana for my ears . That is an awesome story about your local club , that would have blown my mind !

Last edited:

DaDoc

Reaction score
I wish I had bought one back when they were more affordable!
The Soldano SLO-100 was just reissued and they are fetching $3999 (I had to correct myself as I first wrote $3500 ) for the head alone . If I did not have my 2555X's I would for sure have Soldano as they are a fire breathing high gain amp , with independent pre amp gain which allows manageable levels with rich saturated tones .This amp is built with top grade military -grade components . This is a well designed and well built amp with top notch parts and components . This amp is a winner ![/QUOTE]

Well, well..

I walked into a store Sunday and lo and behold there was a Hot Rod 50+ up for sale..So I said to myself "This MUST be a sign!" :rolleyes:

Older model that was handwired by the man himself, and sounds awesome! Sooo, I can't let this one get away..:shrug:

I should be picking it up this afternoon..:fingersx:

El Gringo

Reaction score
The Soldano SLO-100 was just reissued and they are fetching $3999 (I had to correct myself as I first wrote $3500 ) for the head alone . If I did not have my 2555X's I would for sure have Soldano as they are a fire breathing high gain amp , with independent pre amp gain which allows manageable levels with rich saturated tones .This amp is built with top grade military -grade components . This is a well designed and well built amp with top notch parts and components . This amp is a winner !

Well, well..

I walked into a store Sunday and lo and behold there was a Hot Rod 50+ up for sale..So I said to myself "This MUST be a sign!" :rolleyes:

Older model that was handwired by the man himself, and sounds awesome! Sooo, I can't let this one get away..:shrug:

I should be picking it up this afternoon..:fingersx:[/QUOTE]
Oh man that is awesome and dare I say I am jealous in the most positive way of course . Now you will have to kindly give us a tone report and tell us if you are using humbuckers or single coils . I can't wait to hear your thoughts ! Best Wishes on a kick ass new amp day !!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts