Transformer questions (1978 2203)

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by Matthews Guitars, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I have a 2203 that has a replaced output transformer. The replacement is a Hammond 1750U.

If I were to make the effort to seek out a (possibly impossible to find) original output transformer, what would be the model number of that transformer?

And, a question about power transformers.

This amp has a T4074 PT.

Is this also correct for this amp or should it be a T4145?

What are the correct amp types that should have a T4145?

The amp doesn't sound right. It's nowhere near the tone monster that my first 2203 was, which I sold simply because I got an exorbitant price for it. I'm thinking that the Hammond output transformer just isn't delivering the goods.

2. dragonvalve

dragonvalve Well-Known Member

Transformer iron makes tone. Worst thing that can happen to an amp is to change the transformer. Better to get a worn transformer rewound to reuse the iron than get something aftermarket new.

3. Matthews Guitars

I understand that. Having the correct part numbers to search out, and knowing which ones are appropriate for which amps, is part of the process of finding the right oines.

4. dragonvalve

Yes. These guys might know.

https://www.heyboertransformers.com

5. Matthews Guitars

I was thinking more along the lines of "I looked in my untouched all original 1971 Superlead and the PT is ink stamped T4145" and the OT is marked as..." etc.

mAx___ likes this.
  6. dragonvalve

I see. Where do you find one once you have the numbers?

I heard those guys make xformer clones for your model amp.

7. Matthews Guitars

I've bought from Chris Merren before. His transformers are probably as authentic as you can get.

But for purposes of knowing the history and specifics of many Marshalls, I want to get the original part numbers for my records,
    and I'd rather reinstall a good original transformer than any replica thereof.

8. dragonvalve

Yes and I've seen the Merren name before. Still the iron is key and perhaps some vintage original transformer rebuilt would get there for you.

9. mAx___

mAx___ Active Member

10. Matthews Guitars

I'm familiar with that particular listing. He's in Australia and the shipping cost makes it no deal. Plus I don't need that POWER transformer. I'm looking for an OUTPUT transformer.

I do have an original that needs rebuilding but that may cost more to rebuild than to buy a good original.

11. dragonvalve

These days with unsurities of goods and services being available at any given moment, a bird in hand...

Get your transformer rebuilt.

You have no knowledge of where and when that "good original" will be as in the case of the one in Aus.

Times are not the same after this lock-demic.

They're expecting a 2nd and 3rd wave.

Get while the getting is good.

:2c:

12. Matthews Guitars

This whole pandemic nonsense crap is exactly that. Nonsense and crap. This virus has a mortality rate that's running about average for various strains of the flu and nobody ever panicked over that.

I'm not afraid to live my life and will not be forced to live like a hermit over a virus that has an aggregate mortality rate of less than half a percent, most of those fatalities occurring among the old, sick, and weak, and I'm none of those.

I've sent the original transformer to Mercury Magnetics for testing, new leads, and rebuilding if it's bad. It'll be worth doing. Like you said, originals will not be getting any more common in the future!

mAx___ likes this.
  13. dragonvalve

Agreed. The medical issues are different than the lock down situation where small businesses are closing going bankrupt for lack of making money.

Mercury will know what to do with the transformer.

14. mAx___

mAx___ Active Member

The Covid nonsense will magically die on Nov 4th.

I contacted MM once about rebuilding an old transformer. It was double the price they charged for their own replacement OT!

15. mAx___

mAx___ Active Member

I know. I was trying to make a point for the T4145 as the correct PT for your amp.

16. Matthews Guitars

My '70 Superlead (under reconstruction) has a T4145. My '78 2203 has a T4074. My '74 Superlead has a T3556 power transformer, and
    my '73 Superlead's transformers have no remaining tags or markings.

So what I'm saying here is that I want to be able to say, with reasonable certainty, that, as an example, a T4145 transformer is correct for (x) model from years (A) to (B), just as I know that the 50 watt rear panel for a 1987 that says Mark II on it is appropriate for amps made from 1974 to 1978 or 1979.

17. stickyfinger

stickyfinger Well-Known Member

Dude, just sell the basket cases you keep buying and buy the amps you really want. Let some one else enjoy them for what they are. I've been telling you this all along... Its not worth the money to fix them or what you call restore. These "restored amps" are really not worth all that much than you put into them and will not hold value. Its quite sad that some suckers have bought them from you for the same prices we can find original non molested examples. Restored with modern tolex and new face plates that don't look right, rebuilt transformers, rebuilt PCB boards are all worth less than a working players amp and wont sound like the original.

BTW you wont find a original transformer. If found, it will be a pull from a basket case (like what you should be offering with these amps you find) for around 300$+

Sir Don likes this.
  18. Travis398

Travis398 Well-Known Member

no numbers or markings on mine '75

19. dragonvalve

That remains to be seen. With all the insanity thus far, the carrot is always a foot away from the advancing donkey.

[​IMG]

There is more to this than an election. Some say it won't even happen. 2nd and 3rd waves?

Catch a wave and they're sittin on top of the world.

[​IMG]
    Jumping the shark will take on a whole new meaning!

Look for things to get more expensive as the supply chains start to dry up and blow away.

Alchemy will rear its ugly head and things will start turning into unobtainium.

[​IMG]

Note while Rome burns we're here on the forum playing with our lyres.

[​IMG]

There are other tranny rewinders out there who might charge less than the others.

What does Heyboer charge?

Maybe there is a rewinder in your state or city?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  20. Matthews Guitars

Stickyfinger, just come to terms with the fact that I like rebuilding and restoring "basket cases" and am happy to trade a little cash and a fair amount of my labor for the sheer fun of bringing them back from the dead....or zombie territory, anyway. Whether or not I ever actually sell one or make a profit when I do is absolutely irrelevant to me.

You do you. I'll do me. I like what I do and don't feel any desire to jump into your business and tell you to stop.

The panels I make are closer to the originals than you might imagine and the next batches I make, from a material I found that's basically a perfect match, might fool you or anyone here into thinking they're pristine originals, as long as the chassis is in the cabinet. I'm not doing this to make a product that is anything but as authentic to the originals as is possible.

I've sold a fair number of them and so far everybody who's gotten one has had nothing but praise for the product. Not one criticism.