Trading an Origin 20H for an SC20H, suggestions?

tonycaster

Reaction score
Different amps , so I wouldn’t personally trade my Ori50h coz for one it’s great and two it’s not worth trading they’re such a bargain and cost so little anyway . If you want an sc20 just get one , aswell as .
totally agree, the only problem is budget, although personally I'm more into JMC tones, based on my personal taste

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Different amps , so I wouldn’t personally trade my Ori50h coz for one it’s great and two it’s not worth trading they’re such a bargain and cost so little anyway . If you want an sc20 just get one , aswell as .
Wrong. You HAVE a Master Volume 2203, what
do you expect to find here in a SC20?

They lack compared to the JMP.

You want to climb up the latter from the
Origin then there is only the SV20H. Or skip
it and take the JTM45.
Or climb even higher and get a Friedman DS or even TS .

tonycaster

Reaction score

Or climb even higher and get a Friedman DS or even TS .
do really the Friedmans sound way better than the SC?

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
do really the Friedmans sound way better than the SC?
Well as Tallcoolone would say ‘ different’ . If I had to keep just one amp then I would keep my Runt 50 as it just does ‘ everything ‘ really well . The build quality and component/parts quality is definitely ‘ better’ on a Friedman compared to a Marshall of that there is no doubt . The master volume and effects loops on Friedman amps are outstandingly good and regarded by many as ‘the best’ period . Friedman’s in general have a more complex sound that’s easier to control and play I guess is a way of putting it , where a good Marshall is just an out and out raw slap you in the face loud wild beast refuses to be tamed ( which is an amazing experience) . Having said that I’m really digging my Ori50h it just has all the great guitar tones from all the artists I grew up on in the 70’s/80’s nailed ( UFO , Priest , Maiden , Sabbath , AC/DC etc ) . The thing is with the Origin is it does the full on cranked plexi thing but at easily controlled volumes which is what most of us want/need , it’s great . So it really depends what you’re going for , I’ve owned many 2203/2204 mv Marshall’s for instance and have come to the conclusion that they just don’t do the sound of the bands I’ve mentioned as well as my Ori50h does . I digress , so does a Friedman sound better than a Marshall ? As Dave Friedman himself would probably say on Tonetalk ‘ IT DEPENDS ‘ , lol .

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Definitely, origins take pedals in front ( particularly dirt pedals ) like no other amp I’ve owned/played .
That's what it's for I think. It has it's own Plexi-ish tone but it is obviously saying "feed me your pedals" in addition to that.

BE-OD
Klon Klone (Tumnus)
Boss SD-1

Whatever you can throw at it, it eats it up and says feed me more.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
That's what it's for I think. It has it's own Plexi-ish tone but it is obviously saying "feed me your pedals" in addition to that.

BE-OD
Klon Klone (Tumnus)
Boss SD-1

Whatever you can throw at it, it eats it up and says feed me more.
Nice , I’m currently using :-

Buxom boost
Joyo vintage od ( tubescreamer clone )
Thomsline Black teeth ( Rat clone )
Mxr EVH 5150 od

The Origin loves them all .

steveb63

Reaction score
Well as Tallcoolone would say ‘ different’ . If I had to keep just one amp then I would keep my Runt 50 as it just does ‘ everything ‘ really well . The build quality and component/parts quality is definitely ‘ better’ on a Friedman compared to a Marshall of that there is no doubt . The master volume and effects loops on Friedman amps are outstandingly good and regarded by many as ‘the best’ period . Friedman’s in general have a more complex sound that’s easier to control and play I guess is a way of putting it , where a good Marshall is just an out and out raw slap you in the face loud wild beast refuses to be tamed ( which is an amazing experience) . Having said that I’m really digging my Ori50h it just has all the great guitar tones from all the artists I grew up on in the 70’s/80’s nailed ( UFO , Priest , Maiden , Sabbath , AC/DC etc ) . The thing is with the Origin is it does the full on cranked plexi thing but at easily controlled volumes which is what most of us want/need , it’s great . So it really depends what you’re going for , I’ve owned many 2203/2204 mv Marshall’s for instance and have come to the conclusion that they just don’t do the sound of the bands I’ve mentioned as well as my Ori50h does . I digress , so does a Friedman sound better than a Marshall ? As Dave Friedman himself would probably say on Tonetalk ‘ IT DEPENDS ‘ , lol .
Good to see another Tone Talk fan.

The guys I play with have been using that joke for a while now.

"Did I nail that solo?" ............ depends. Lol

sdn25

Reaction score
The issue I have with the origin is that the circuit can be easily converted to a 2203/2204 spec, marshall purposely added more components o the board to make it sound worse which baffles me but I also understand since if they did have the 2203/2204 circuit their studio series would be collecting dust on the shelves. You only have to take out components in the origin to convert it to a 2203/2204 spec. Ive owned an origin 50 before and sold It, it did that semi marshall thing for me but it didn't have that authority in the tone those legacy circuits are known for, it felt like it was shy. However I do agree on it being a really good pedal amp and when run that way its very versatile. Im more of a guitar to amp kinda guy so as to why I didn't dig it much.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
………..The thing is with the Origin is it does the full on cranked plexi thing but at easily controlled volumes which is what most of us want/need , it’s great ………
Really? I hadn’t heard that.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
my ori50 never did the cranked plexi thing. Source? I have a 1987 that I always use cranked into a RL.

YMMV
If you turn it up you can get a heck of crunch out of her and then hit boost for more.

The biggest problem I have with this amp is forgetting the EQ is backward, More bass, oh no more Trebs! Actually, you can use the trebs on this Marshall for a change, lol.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
If you turn it up you can get a heck of crunch out of her and then hit boost for more.

The biggest problem I have with this amp is forgetting the EQ is backward, More bass, oh no more Trebs! Actually, you can use the trebs on this Marshall for a change, lol.
I’m probably using way more treble , presence and tilt and less bass than most typically would , lol .

sdn25

Reaction score
Well I beg to differ , with the settings I use on the Ori50h and using my Buxom boost it gets close enough.
that's the key right there, you're using pedals with it. Not sure if I mentioned but I said it doesn't do the marshall thing on its own. With pedals for sure :)

sdn25

Reaction score

I ran the master on 10 and it just flubbed out, bass control doesn't do much. If you convert the second pre amp tube from a FX loop driver into a proper 3 gain stage marshall circuit with a cathode follower you will get much closer to a 2203/2204. I highly recommend the mod, its simple enough.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
I ran the master on 10 and it just flubbed out, bass control doesn't do much. If you convert the second pre amp tube from a FX loop driver into a proper 3 gain stage marshall circuit with a cathode follower you will get much closer to a 2203/2204. I highly recommend the mod, its simple enough.
Ah if you get mud dial it back a bit. Whatever the best she can give at loud, that is what I mean. Tilt feature is great.

Latest posts