Torpedo two notes captor for jcm 800

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Kolanti, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Kolanti

Kolanti Active Member

I will get straight to the point:

So I have a 100w reissue jcm800 which is a monster of an amp, and I usually record it with a Sennheiser e609. I have the master around 1 but it records kinda fizzy when I turn up the master a tad bit it opens up (the recorded sound) and you can hear more frequencies.
    But it is a hassle to turn on at louder volumes not only cause of the nosie but because I can't hear the metronome (my PC is on the same room as my amps).

Is it worth buying a torpedo two notes captor for silent recording or even attenuating the amp so I can crank the master more ? It cuts 20db.

2. machinated

machinated New Member

they’re pretty good and it would be a decent solution for you. if you can afford a little bit more, the suhr reactive load box or St Rock React IR have more realistic impedance curves (both modelled on 4x12’s, suhr is greenbacks and react IR is 2x v30’s and something else).

dialing the master volume will affect the overall tone a lot, and really should be treated like an eq control when shooting for the best sound. That said, you can also try some different cabinets/microphones etc and you may be able to approximate something close.

Kolanti likes this.
  3. OriginOfTheSpecies

OriginOfTheSpecies Member

I recently got one for my Origin 20. It's good but less transparent than I'd hoped - quite a bit darker and more compressed sounding when using IRs that match my cab. I can use it to get power amp crunch at very low volume though (in conjunction with the origin's power scaling). The -20db is quite substantial with the 20 watt, maybe less than half as loud perception wise.
    I'm not sure how much of a 100 watt head they can cope with, I know weber recommends their 200w attenuators for 50w tube amps (maybe the two notes is more robust).

Kolanti likes this.
  4. Kolanti

Kolanti Active Member

Thing is I like hearing my amp pushing air when recording. And loud volumes where I live is not a problem but it is just a hassle for me.
    Maybe is out be better just to buy a good attenuator ?

Ufoscorpion likes this.
  5. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

I can highly recommend the two notes torpedo reload ( will easily handle a 100w amp ) . Other great attenuators around these days not sure all will handle a 2203 .

steveb63 likes this.
  6. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

7. OriginOfTheSpecies

I'd imagine -20db on a 100w jcm800 would still be capable of ear ringingly loud levels in a regular household room.

steveb63 likes this.
  8. ShatteredVitreous

ShatteredVitreous New Member

Hi

I have the Two Notes Captor 16 and the Reload.

If you want just record without any attenuation so using IRs I would opt for the Captor as the Reload omitts a loud fizzy sound due to the attenuation.

If you want to be able to really attenuate down from zero too 100 watt get the Reload.

Both are fantastic bits of kit.

Ufoscorpion likes this.
  9. Del Rei

Del Rei Well-Known Member

I think Marshall’s are made to be loud. I recorded this fast clip using the Captor attenuated (-20dB) and liked it much more than with low master and no attenuation.

Sustainium and scozz like this.
  10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I’ve been saying this about my SC20 ever since I purchased my attenuator. Some here didn’t agree with my assessment, that I preferred to crank my amp and use a attenuator, rather than not use one and just adjust the master lower.

It just sounds better to me with the master turned up a bit, not necessarily cranked to 10 but up around 5 or 6. I can’t do that without an attenuator, way too loud, but with it, it sounds great!

11. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Double post.

12. Jason Wilding

Jason Wilding New Member

Hey guys, Jason from Two notes here - happy to answer any questions you may have about our products :)

The key to using a Captor, or anything else into the digital realm (when we are talking outside just using the attenuation but into recording silents), you HAVE to have the right cab. There are several cabs in our library specifically designed for this kind of amp.

What I'd really like though is for Marshall to work with us and make official captures of their cabs <3

13. OriginOfTheSpecies

Rad.

When setting levels into an IR/WoS, should they be as high as possible without clipping? What is the best way to set gain structure from the Captor through the IR (ie Captor output levels and interface input levels)?

14. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Hello there and :welcome: to the forum

Cheers :cheers:

15. Jason Wilding

Jason Wilding New Member

There is no hard and fast rule, as dependent what comes before it grain structures may be causing an element of ground noise that is unacceptable if you follow one path.

My general rule of thumb (in the digital world) is that I never want to go over -6 on input or output, but the reality is in the tweaking process, it might go that way... Input gain though, try to keep it lower if I can to keep the noise down... I know that isn't an answer, but there isn't really one!

OriginOfTheSpecies and tce63 like this.
  16. Del Rei

Del Rei Well-Known Member

One more using Captor (-20dB)

tce63 likes this.
  17. machinated

machinated New Member

Hi there Jason!

I’m curious as to how you see the best way of load boxes presenting an accurate load to the amp they’re plugged into; will we see reactive load boxes that will switch impedance curves to match the impulse loaded? I’m currently using a match eq sometimes to account for any differences but it’s a bit of a band aid solution....

So a 2x12 with greenbacks would create one load, and an oversized 4x12 with V30’s would create another?

I feel like getting the amp to behave the same way as if there wasn’t a load box at all is a big part of the battle, the IR being captured well is also big, and then speaker breakup/non linear behaviours at different volumes.

18. OriginOfTheSpecies

I've had some more time to play with this and am happier with my results. With the right IR it sounds pretty close. I've got to try making my own.

scozz likes this.