Top 3 Worst Guitarists Of All Time

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by axe4me, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

There was definitely a virtuoso player in Tommy ruined by his drug addiction. The story is after his last gig opening for JEFF BECK he took a bet that he could eat a bottle of aspirin, down a bottle of booze and do a gram of coke in rapid succession. The other tragedy is when he was fading his friends waited too long to get him help. He was 25/26 years old at the time.....

2. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

tommy took a gamble too much, but we do have spectrum , private eyes , and teaser to remember the good times and when tommy was on it , he was special

3. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

This thread has blurred the lines of who you think can't play to who or more specifically what style you don't like.

I can respect what you choose but thinking an opinion adds up when a guitarist is obviously skilled in his/her craft makes me cringe.

Now I have to think of 3 well known guitarist's that I can say is overrated...

For the record I get the award for sloppiest player. I know girls that like that.:eddie:

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  4. solarburnDSL50

Here's an example. I do not like Jeff Beck. I tried because others raved about him and back in my day I bought a couple of his albums. Overall I couldn't enjoy it.

I don't think of him as a bad guitarist. I just don't like the shit he plays.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Bear R., Jam81, Codeman and 2 others like this.
  5. solarburnDSL50

As much as I love these guitarist's music I find their playing(soloing)limited...like mine.

1.Ted Nugent.
    2. Glenn Tipton
    3. Tony Iommi-one of my favorite players as his playing makes his music iconic. It fits so many epic songs. All these guys do. Truth is they are limited players as I see it. As I see myself.

EDIT: I fucked up. I was thinking overrated guitarist not worst. The guys I mentioned are no where near the worst...jus overrated. My bad. Sorry for my confusion.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  6. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

I can't listen to Frank Zappa's stuff

kook and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  7. Codeman

Codeman Active Member

I've never understood Satriani or Vai. Technically great, but I just can't listen to more than half a song from either one of them.

Bear R., SG~GUY, Jam81 and 4 others like this.
  8. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

When I look at the old live Sabbath clips from 70s like CAL JAM I, you definitely see how limited Iommi was live. The solos in particular were mediocre. I saw Sabbath on the '13' world tour a couple of years ago and he was a complete monster live. Tone to die for. It was truly a dominant and exceptional performance. He definitely got better with age.

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  9. deadear

deadear Active Member

No doubt about it CC Deville gets my vote. His playing sounds like finger exercises to me. Poison passed on Slash and went with Deville when they were looking for a guitar player. Slash went on to be part of GNR. The rest is history.

10. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

I think all of you suck. How about that? :p :)

SG~GUY and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  11. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

…oh I see.
    It's not that you're not good at what you do.
    It's that what you do is not worth doing.

12. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-I don't hate anyone, I hate entire groups of guitarist, like when you have EVH, top 3 greats of all time, but the kids who worshipped him completely missed what EDDIE was, EDDIE was/is complete, like everyone else, he stole from others, added some sauce, poof!! He spawned an entire generation of guitarist that based ED's greatness on ERUPTION, and the tapping technique, if you couldn't play both, you weren't good, some where, some how, we lost the our musician's soul, wasn't the first time, JAZZ-(the musicians graveyard)- the self serving wankery, of trying to impress other wankers with joining as many obscure scales, as you can, all with in the boundaries of theory and golden rules, with the ultimate goal of play a diminished-(insert any scale here)- scale bridging it with a much faster time signatures hoping, praying, that others trying to trump you by changing your bridged, scale-( ancient middle eastern, mesobtanium dirge)-root,third,fith,seventh would sound good!! There for never an option, -(a friend once drug me to a jazz festival, after the jam, the above was literally a conversation I heard-(well I may of embellished a little)-between two guitarist-(and apparently they were the top dogs, that have been fighting for top dog bone, what was really odd, was the crowd of JAZZ fans, who gathered to not only listen to the jazz jabbing of dog a & dog b, about the proper way to use such a bridge, and was it proper, was there a bridge that was far superior, that was well within the song structure blah,blah eww. But!! BUT!! they actually joined in the debate with the dogs, and amongst themselves, quoting examples of musical composition, and the boundries and examples of this shit!! THIS!! the court of ALL THAT JAZZ, was to everyone who was worthy to call themselves "worthy" was THE SHOW, the music, as it turned out wasn't , actually nobody likes jazz, not one dog, not one of the "worthies"

-METAL-(a genre of rock music, big bass drum kicking you in the head, 4/4 time, dark, meaningful lyrics, sung by a posing singer, with a mandatory saturated individual, with a heavily distorted electric guitar with the "devil's scale" -(any minor derived scale)- this music died when the next wave of deviants came and put/added a descriptive word, replacing the "HEAVY" in HEAVY METAL, -(speed,thrash,death,black,)-with the goal being to be the most evil, heavy, fastest, technicaly proficient, yes!! THIS THE PINICAL, TO BE THE FASTEST, MOST TECHNICALLY PROFICIENT, this is the goal, to be, and an ultimate insult would be to say to someone, a fan of, or playing of, the insulter would question the very manhood of the band, its METAL genre, its guitarist speed, and could even escalate to devaluation of the guitarist TECHNICAL PROFICIENCY!!!!.... Yes, the end is hear. at this point the inevitable will happen, "YOU CALL THAT HEAVY? death will come quickly to many, it must be done, a line has been crossed, there is no going back,...... the sacred word on which everything, EVERYTHING HINGES, " BROOTALZ"

13. Trumpet Rider

Trumpet Rider Well-Known Member

I like your phrase "self serving wankery." I call it being a self-indulgent weenie.

SG~GUY likes this.
  14. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

I didn't make this list? WTF Man....?

SG~GUY likes this.
  15. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

SG~GUY likes this.
  16. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

:hmm: Self-serving wankery? Should rename it Jizz :yesway:

SG~GUY and Trumpet Rider like this.
  17. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-I've gotten some hateful statements thrown at me about my take on jazz jizz, I get that, but why do people feel obligated to play for you, of the very thing you hate, loud!! And usually singing along-(horribly in might add)-"well you gogot to listen to -(fill in void)-WHAT!! am I all of a sudden gonna understand!!! And see the light!! " oh thank you kind sir, I was deaf!! Now I hear!! It was that singing you did that made the difference"

18. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

Aside from myself being on the list I'll have to go with the obvious ones, the guys who don't play guitar but are famous musicians and decide to grab a guitar to look cool. That would be lil jon, Fred durst, and Aaron Lewis.

Now, as far as actual guitar players who are bad cobain for sure, Dave grohl, etc. I also am of the opinion that Hendrix was way overrated, not bad but not as good as the hype. I think there were so many players back then that were much better than him but he gets all the praise, it's sort of odd to me.

19. solarburnDSL50

Enjoyed this tirade.

SG~GUY and Cthulhu like this.
  20. Cthulhu

Cthulhu Well-Known Member

His every post is a tirade. It's all part of his charm.

SG~GUY likes this.