To Plexi Or Not...LOL

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by tremojem, Nov 24, 2015.

1. tremojem

tremojem Member

Hey, I am headed to the local shop this weekend to look at replacing one of my Mesa Tremoverbs.

I WANT a Marshall...Plexi, or an amp that is similar.

Some of the builders that interest me, but may not be available at the shop are:

Friedman
    Henric Hermannson
    Landry
    Ceriatone

etc. etc.

My question is this:

Anything else I should be considering?

I don't want crap and I don't want too much gain.

Currently I only use 50% of the available gain in my Tremoverb.

I run a clean boost in front of it just to keep it tight.

Oh, and a little over all tone shaping with a parametric EQ in the loop to reduce mud and help tighten it up...oh and a bit of a hi-shelf to brighten it up for articulation and sweetness or to help the leads sing out and sustain.

Anyway, thanks.

2. GuitarMutant

GuitarMutant Well-Known Member

Talk to Guitar-Rocker on here. His amps are at gramplifiers.com - I have a 36w plexi-style that I love for recording. Superb workmanship.

3. GuitarMutant

4. Len

Len Well-Known Member

I think Fargen is a big player in this area also check out Granger.

5. Guitar-Rocker

Guitar-Rocker Well-Known Member

Yeah. I think you'd be a great match for that amp.

For the record I do have a single input (jumper end) 18W 6V6 Plexi for sale and also have the same type in a 10W 6AQ5 for sale too.

6. Guitar-Rocker

And then there's the 50W JMP Plexi for sale too, and it's superfine in its own right

7. CoyotesGator

CoyotesGator Well-Known Member

The Institute for the Very, Very, Very Nervous
  8. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

George Metropoulous is another good builder that makes a quality product and sounds fantastic. You probably won't find his stuff brand new in most stores, but you might come across one on the used market. Beyond that, his website is pretty good regarding audio and video clips, product listing, and some brief technical information regarding the innards.

Metropolous's stuff if not cheap, but it's another good source to look into (I'm a fan of the 12,000 series.

Another good line to check out is Dr. Z. Like Metropoulous, Dr. Z very well built and offer a variety to choices (I think Z offers a bit more, but both turn out quality. And, like Metropoulous, Dr. Z stuff is not typically found brand new in stores, and they're both not cheap.

Metropoulous: http://plexireplicas.com/metropoulos-amplifiers/

Dr. Z: http://drzamps.com/products/

If you're interested, get in touch with these dudes to see what they can do for you.

9. GuitarMutant

If I could hold onto money long enough to build it up and afford that amp, I'd already own it! Hahahaha. Every time I look at it, I wander into my music room and stare at it all, wondering what I could sell.

10. tremojem

tremojem Member

Right off the bat the Fargen DBC-25 & Olde 800 MKII sound like a fit...maybe throw a clean boost pedal in the front of the DBC-25 for a little more gain, but other than that...hell I'll take one of each, then no pedal required at all...LOL, very nice amps.

GR is great as well.

Granger is nice too...

Metroupolus is sweet as well.

Thanks everyone...I will keep checking this post right up to the point when I leave for the local shop.

11. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

I would throw in David Bray amps as well...

Curt Granger is working on a 20-watt "Plexi" circuit the last time I spoke with him, if you're looking for a lower-watt Plexi type....

12. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

If you want a Marshall then you should get a Marshall. Some of the knockoffs sound just great, but they are not Marshall amps. I'll also point out that if you are like many of us, and still thoroughly enjoy even so much as seeing your Marshall amps even when not playing, you will lose out on that as well. One more thing … if you get a knockoff, you will still eventually want a real Marshall, so I'd start there and then look into knockoffs in the future if that's something you want to pursue. Anyway, my two cents.

13. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Get a real Marshall otherwise you will always have nagging at you wondering what its like to own a real Marshall, I regretted starting out with a clone. Same thing with my LP, I started off with a knock off which made me want a real one even more.

14. tremojem

tremojem Member

Extremely valid points regarding the "Marshall" not clone argument.

I could not agree more.

The problem is I don't necessarily want a circuit board in my amp.

Additionally, I want a a Plexi that is hot rodded, and I want a lower wattage so that I can fully engage the power section...maybe 25-30 watts.

Ideally, a real Marshall Plexi that is hot rodded would be great or a real Marshall Plexi in mint condition with pedals in front.

So many decisions.

I know Marshall offers some models with turret construction, so I can look at that too.

Anyone remember which one those are?

As I said earlier, I completely agree with about the "REAL" thing.

I have not given up on that.

15. tremojem

tremojem Member

"Throw in" David Bray...hell, how about place in top five.

WOW!

16. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

Nice suggestions already mentioned, I'll just add Splawn...the Quick Rod amp on "1st" gear is "hot rodded Plexi" in spades (but not overly saturated or too gainy - the other gears go there).

Good luck!

17. plexi-paul

plexi-paul Active Member

I have a stock 1987x, Bray modded (mod1) 1987x, and a Ceraitone Yeti 100.

Stock 1987x - Great sounding amp. Way too loud to play anywhere I play without an attenuator. Works well as a clean platform for pedals (but still need to attenuate even when clean).

Bray 1987x - Great sounding amp. Volume is manageable with PPIMV, but still sounds better with a Power Brake. Can get to all the gain that is inside the amp. Doesn't compress too much. Bray mods are brighter than the stock amp. Low end is way tighter, doesn't "flub out" like the stock one.

Ceriatone Yeti - Great gain sound. Sounds like a modded Plexi. 3 modes, as much or little gain as you need. Clean kinda sucks. But the gain is wonderful. Loop is wonderful. Volume is totally manageable from bedroom to stadium.

Clone vs real thing....don't even think like that. Most people will tell you Metropolous amps sound better than Marshalls. Bray does great work and easy to work with. I've heard great things about Freidman. I've spoken to Trace at Voodoo and he is awesome. Don't be afraid of clones or mods. Just decide what EXACTLY you want before you buy and you will be fine. If you have any questions on the amps I own, feel free to hit me up.

18. GuitarMutant

Very interested to hear about the loop of the Ceriatone more. I hear so many times that their loops are terrible. I've skipped buying one three times now because of that. I think they sound great, but I'm a religious loop user (only delay and boost for solos, but it's critical for me). What do you run in the loop, and how does it affect the tone of the amp?

As for clone vs. Marshall: I 100% agree with you. Clones are an important part of anyone's arsenal. More often than not, they're wired by hand, meticulously checked, and use parts above rating. Additionally, you usually get awesome customer service and friendly people willing to help you get what you want. While I don't practice what I preach, I always recommend trying out what you're interested in before buying. Clones are usually not available in stores, so they're more a leap of faith. But I have only had ONE bad experience with boutique amps, and it turned out to be because of faulty tubes, not the workmanship. For builders, go on recommendations and general consensus regarding their work. Players are quick to be brutal with bad experiences, so if you hear good things, you're likely gonna do great with a particular builder. Most of my Marshalls are modded, and I have a few boutique/handwired heads as well. There are a few stock production amps hanging out, too. I have too many amps in my collection and always sell some off to get new stuff. But as I'm growing and my tastes are more focused, I usually sell off production stuff to get a new mod or boutique amp.

19. GuitarMutant

Oh, and Terry - if someone buys my JVM 210h, I'll be calling you to pack it up :)

I'd ONLY sell my JVM to buy that amp though. I love the JVM. But I love that amp even more :D

20. Guitar-Rocker

Check out my one day "Black Friday" deal in the classifieds