thoughts?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by diesect20022000, May 18, 2014.

1. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 In Memorandum VIP Member

Tone Slinger and Blacque Jacque like this.
  2. Blacque Jacque

Blacque Jacque Well-Known Member

Hmmm, interesting.

His point about Charvel no longer being a "hot rod" guitar as such is quite pertinent. Since their acquisition by FMIC they have become just another brand name.

3. diesect20022000

yeah i'm a charvel lover too. i have to admit that piqued my curiousity lol.

SwampThing likes this.
  4. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

It's an interesting spin...

Growing up in the land of Charvel, a lot of people don't know/realize, that before Charvel was a company, making his own guitars, he was a customizer of Fender guitars. I knew quite a few that took their Strats to him to dismantle & rebuild to custom standards, including routing out humbucker spots & filling in other routes, making the guitar a non pickguard strat w/ special paint, adding Floyd Rose, etc. (& many who dreamed of doing so)

Then he decided to start making his own guitars...

So, it's not really like he went to luthier school, took a few surveys on what people wanted (remember, there was no mass internet back then) & opened shop. He had people coming to him to redo their store bought guitars & from that experience, he knew what people wanted.

Isn't Chapman the one who makes the "Stick"?

Interesting that he boasts a Korean mfgr...

diesect20022000 likes this.
  5. diesect20022000

yeah he kind of learned on the fly at least regarding necks. as far as chapper's goes i don't know. i haven't touched one of these axes once so i can't offer my opinion on those. i think his whole "component upgrades don't cost more at the factory" point is what caught my attention the most. i can't see how that works unless they get an undisclosed flat rate for all components disregarding quality and demand which i find highly unlikely.

i will say regardless of it all i would love to try one but i'm a guitarist. i'd love to try it all at least once lol.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  6. Dogs of Doom

7. diesect20022000

oh wow yeah not the same! lol.

speaking of have you seen the "djent stick" yet? (now approach it with the idea that it's FUNNY and you'll be alright if you haven't already). that thing is HI-LAR-I-OUS. i want one. i may have some talent if i get one of those in fact....

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  8. Dogs of Doom

Lol, a one stringer w/ an EMG...

9. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

I'm not the biggest Tone King demo fan, but he's a cool guy.

I was looking into importing a Chapman ML-2, but went with another LTD EC-256 instead.
    I'd still like to play a Chapman sometime. Chappers is a nut!

10. diesect20022000

yeah same here. on the former. the latter well........no clue lol. ugh..............my cat just let one go at my feet...................:ugh::mad:

11. CaptainZero

CaptainZero Well-Known Member

I don't have time to watch the whole video, but that guitar sounds great. Looks like shit IMO though. Nice looking Ebony on that neck!

12. diesect20022000

it is very plain i agree (my words lol). i thought about the same though. sounds pretty damn good, ebony board looks top notch but the appearance is frugal at best lol. i kinda like it though. i'm a frugal (or broke fat bastard) person so it could work for me i think.

13. CaptainZero

CaptainZero Well-Known Member

I don't care if a guitar looks simple, but with that beautiful neck, I would at least like a body to match. Not sure why, but I really don't like the look of that body, and I'm not sure a different neck would matter.

14. diesect20022000

yeah i think i'm with you on that. it looks like cheap balsa wood or something. and that neck is really hot.......

i mean a painted flatop like most alder body guitars would suffice for ME or if it had a better wood grain and deeper hue.........it looks cheap though to me, i don't know if that's what you meant but that's what i feel and why i don't like the body much. that said i would still give it a run and it may grow on me. i know i like everything else enough i would give it a go but they have other models i like the look of better (some even less). i do agree that the body doesn't quite sit right with me either. Again for ME maybe a deeper hue or a finish for that would help but it does look like cheap spare wood.

i would love a simple stark guitar with an ebony fretboard like that though. for me ebony's about tone and feel more than anything but but that body is a bit........meh.

15. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

I think, if you watch his videos, Chapman likes simplicity. So, appearance takes a back seat to performance. I personally like color on my guitars, but as a musician I appreciate that approach. In fact, I fully intend on purchasing a Chapman guitar in the near future..

16. diesect20022000

i'm a function over form guy as well. not that i'm against a hot piece.......of wood but i agree. i still think i also agree that this PARTICULAR body is a bit.......off but i've seen other guitars he has and like them and they're also as simple. but yeah i'm all about specs and then tone and feel. i have the way i set up a guitar specific to ME as well but i also know what radius, woods (all combinations for what purpose and sounds etc) and pickup configs etc that i like. example: i will NOT use a guitar with a rounder radius than 12in. i love strats but that's why i don't own one. when i find one that has a 12in rad or higher it's more than i can afford or there's something else i'm not into. but that's ONE such example.

i also know i like ebony boards over the rest and that i like medium output pickups and which mags i like, and that i prefer a maple spacer in my pickups etc..............lol

17. Goosey

Goosey Well-Known Member

The cool thing with the hot rod though is being such a plain body you can try and stain it darker yourself, get an artist to airbrush some epic artwork or paint it any colour you want without having to remove the original finish (except the clear coat). It's a really cool basis for a mod-able guitar. Chapman guitars are about to hit Australia in the next few months so I might have to get myself either a hotrod or ML-1 BEA...
    [​IMG]

CaptainZero and diesect20022000 like this.
  18. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

I personally love plain unfinished ash/swamp ash. Ascetically one of my favorite guitars.

Actually I built two, a Strat and a Tele with that motif... well, still working on the Tele.

[​IMG]

19. diesect20022000

i think this looks great. the other one may just need a little tint to it for me to wane i don't know. i just thik it looks off in the chapman in the clip. but i wouold still play it and if it were awesome i wouldn't even care honestly.

20. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVkAkkTmEZE]Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey: nude opera - YouTube[/ame]